Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pro Youtuber

Default Will Skimboarding Ever Go Mainstream?

Now mainstream can be defined any many different ways, most perceptional and/or opinionated. For the sake of this thread, I will compare my definition of mainstream to where wakeboarding is now (basically, open to the public eye). I see wakeboarding with more of a following than skimming, maybe double. I could be wrong. But for instance, I can see wakeboarding in the X-games, in the not so distant future (unless it's already been there). Will skimboarding reach the status that wakeboarding has? Most of the elements are already there.

• Global Recognition & Involvement
    • Multiple Skimboard Manufacturers
    • Clothing Lines
    • Countless Websites
    • Mid-High Budget films being produced
    • Magazines(even web based)

Are we there now?

The topic is open, what do you think?
    SOMB's Brett Favre

SOMB Veteran

Yup. I've penciled it in to go mainstream in August 2009.
    "I have not been outdone by any of my friends in doing good, or by any of my enemies in doing harm."
    -Lucius Cornelius Sulla

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse
    I see wakeboarding with more of a following than skimming, maybe double.

ya think?

Skimboarder

it will only get bigger but i don't think that it will ever get huge. i really dont want it to be huge because then every single beach will be loaded with newb skimmers
    Safety is for people who don't know what they are doing.

Pro Youtuber

That's a good point. If it does grow that big, will you lose interest, or will it force new spots to be discovered?
    SOMB's Brett Favre

Banned

Yea Screw Mainstream Unless That Will Make The Board Price Fall To 200's Cause They Are Too Expensive

Pro Youtuber

Another good point. Prices would have to decrease. Supply & Demand
    SOMB's Brett Favre

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse
    That's a good point. If it does grow that big, will you lose interest, or will it force new spots to be discovered?
    I don't think that i will lose all interest but some probably. And yes it probably will make new spots. One reason would be because there would be a ton of people trying different beaches. And Secondly, all of the orginbal skimmers would be trying to find a new less crowded spot
    Safety is for people who don't know what they are doing.

Skimboarder

Simply put: no.

Here's my reason: skimboarding is HARD. I've never had a whole lot of athletic prowess, but I've been able to pick up just about every board sport out there, and skimboarding has by far been the most challenging.
    Pair that with very specific conditions being needed....and yeah, it may get a little more popular, but not in the way sports like snowboarding/surfiung/skating have.

Skimboarder

i think its cool that if we look back say 30 years a bunch of skateboarders could have had the same conversation we are now.
    whatever happens im gonna keep it a positive thing.

Skimboarder

Skimming sucks
    I see that you are a fagot because you are riding that fixie.

Skimboarder

Skateboarding was huge 30 years ago.

It's always been popular because it's easy to do. You don't have to have anything other than a board and a sidewalk to do it.

Skimboarder

Also, like with surfing, I think a lot of people pick it up just because it's kinda percieved as cool and hip, whereas skimboarding holds no such status, at least not now. Plus, a lot of people look down on skimmers like it's one step below surfing which we all know is not the case. I definitely think it is still on the upward trend in terms of popularity though. The sport is still very new. There is definitely still lots of room to grow.

Skimboarder

i think no cuz theres harldy any good skim compared to good surf,skate, and snowboarding spots

Banned

yea if a surfer compares skimming to rollerblading, make the world a better place and punch him in the face. skim or die is the first video game

The Enforcer

The reasons wakeboarding has taken off here recently has mostly to do with money. Money makes the world go round. As soon as boat manufacturers realized that they could sell a 75,000 boat to a little wake boarders Mommy and Daddy......the ball was set a rollin.

Now the problem of that occuring with skimming is that skimming is a wave sport and has to compete with Surfing. Obviously surfing is already huge and established. So WHY would a major surfing sponsor switch to a smaller sport. They have no reason. Unless it gives them exposure to a new audience, there really isnt a draw. For that reason I dont think skimming with ever get up there with these other sports. Thats a good thing anyway.

Banned

i agree but when i started skimming here on the gulf in pinellas county which i think has the most skimmers per population on the gulf side, used to only have the pros and there friends which equaled about thirty peeps total. now 3 1/2 years later there are 30 heads to a spot, so its growing, but its the money thats killing it. kids that rip almost quit when they get to college cause a degree will get u more money. and to be honest with you most people in this sport come from wealthy areas. if your not working and you are a lower class kid its hard to get involved, cus the boards you can afford can only do so much. i mean even if mommy does buy you a good board she doesnt want to again unless it snaps in half, and we all know how they are once they start retaining water. i mean damn used boards with impressions are still being sold for 325-275. thank god for peeps like concept and mike cole

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by snapcase skimmer
    if your not working and you are a lower class kid its hard to get involved, cus the boards you can afford can only do so much.
    thats why recycled boards and gear is so important. thats how you usually get into any sport anyway is hand me downs

Skimboarder

Actually money does not seem to be a problem for most kids these days.

Skimboards cost quite a bit to make, high end ones, and they are a pain in the butt to make! They could be mass produced and that would bring down prices but it is a catch 22 because there would have to be a mass market before someone would invest in mass producing them!!

I hope it doesn't go mainstream too much.
    Mike Cole

Skimboarder

growth is postive. think of all the unrealized talent lying out there..

I say lets keep it positive and just see where it ends up..

Skimboarder

skimboarding just needs more exposure, it seems every day on the beachsome gawkers ask what are you doing,then there kids are on the beach with a woodie.
    its going to happen eventually , but in the mean time lets hope it doesnt happen

Skimboarder

i cant believe im the first to say,... this topic has been beat to death on this lil forum.

but to answer it, NO it will not get "mainstream".

its like gold fish, they can only get as big as there bowl allows. skimboarding can only get as big as good skim beaches allow. but as we all know, there isnt much out there. ALSO, not to mention how hard it is. noobs are turned away after eating shit the first time... and i dont know about you. but IM OK WITH THAT! hahaha.
    Last edited by Ti_22; 03-30-2007 at 11:42 AM.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

This reminded me of this thread:

MTV's Laguna beach could help skim exposure

I still think it could be a good thing...

whining member

im agreeing with benji. but other than that, it boomed here and with what skimcentral mike is saying, money isnt a problem. not at all, or here at least. the kids skim for 2 weeks and think buying a carbon slotsik or exile will make them better. thats the only reason i dont like skimming getting bigger.

Banned

i disagree

Skimboarder

with?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Morris
    money isnt a problem. not at all, or here at least. the kids skim for 2 weeks and think buying a carbon slotsik or exile will make them better.

your judging on based from what you see, and not realizing that these citys, venice,vilano,spanny and inlet area,laguna, there all wealthy areas, even the kids that live by those areas are still wealthy, like melbourne,irb,san diego,outer banks

Banned

if your not sponsored or fortunate your looking at one board a year maybe 2.

Banned

and the boards only let you ride its top potential, not your potential

Banned

for instance you can ride a skateboard to death, no tail, warped wheels and still rip, but if your rails or nose splits or pressure cracks start taking water your board is pretty much worthless

Banned

damn this is a good topic

Pro Youtuber

I'll revert back to one of my questions. If it's heading mainstream, how long do you think we have until people like Beaker, Tex, Peluso & tons of others are immortalized, like Tony Hawk for instance. Or will this never happen and they will just maintain respect amongst the skim community and we'll never see the Beak Beak Huck Jam Skim Tour?
    SOMB's Brett Favre

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Quote Originally Posted by snapcase skimmer
    your judging on based from what you see, and not realizing that these citys, venice,vilano,spanny and inlet area,laguna, there all wealthy areas, even the kids that live by those areas are still wealthy, like melbourne,irb,san diego,outer banks
    I certainly wouldn't say OBX kids are wealthy. There are some families w/ money but I didn't have shit growing up, and neither did my friends.

Pro Youtuber

This could almost spawn a new board thread: Do you have money or do you bust your ass working, to skim?
    SOMB's Brett Favre

Pro Youtuber

I fall into category 2
    SOMB's Brett Favre

Thread Information