Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
    Skimboarder

Default Video and Editing

So I'm taking this video and editing class and I really like it. Anyway since my accident Ive been stuck inside for awhile and got really bored and decided to throw a video together. I took the best skim clips I had and edited it into one little movie. I tried to make it look professional and shit. Good practice and in good fun. I got the videos from njskim.com, skimcabo.com a 10 second clip out of bearded of the cabo rocks, some youtube skim videos, and videos from on this forum and others. I gave all the credit in the video credits and the website urls. so dont worry I'm not trying to rip anyones hard work. I wanted to know if with the permission of Peluso and the njskim guys if I can upload and post this.
    Last edited by shifty; 03-01-2007 at 02:27 PM.

Standard Member

Are you serious?

Skimboarder

yeah I am?

kyleskim6

this is going to be interesting...

(I predict locked before the day ends)

Skimboarder

I dont see why anyone would be mad?

Skimboarder

wow, umm.....me too...before the day ends for sure.
    Alex Mendrin.
    central valley representative.
    ----------------------------

Skimboarder

can someone explain why?

kyleskim6

well for one you obviously ripped bearded onto your computer and two, are you serious?

were not trying to be dicks. You should take it down and compile some of your own footage to put together.

Standard Member

"No posting links to copyrighted skim content illegally distributed on the internet. Violaters will be banned immediately. No warnings. Asking for the link to be reposted will also get you banned. We have ZERO tolerance for people trying to rip off skimboarders."

I would say this falls under that category for the rules. Although you did give credit to Exile/Levin Media/Bearded/Whatever it is still copyrighted skim content. It could be possible that you went through the proper channels and were allowed to do so, but I have a feeling that you didn't.

Skimboarder

its completely legal to make a back up of a dvd you own. And yes Ive been stuck at home for 2 weeks and got bored, I'm not trying to make any money or anything? Just a fun video I did for my self. I thought you guys would like to see it. I put the credit of every video I used to make it. How am i trying to rip off skimboarders? I am a skimboarder and I paid 30$ for the movie and almost everyone here HAS IT. there is only 2 parts from it I put in, the stairs and the 10 seconds of cabo.

Skimboarder

i think its kinda funny that most of those clips were from the second vision video by groovy baby.
    Briyan Allen

Island Shop- team rider

Skimboarder

I'm confused. It's called "A Skimboarding Movie" and the opening sequence is of a surfer. Go figure. Did you have expressed written permission to use the footy?

kyleskim6

Yea you made a backup and then chopped it and used it for something else "without legal permission" and then put it onto the interent. I know your not trying to rip off other peoples work but you kind of did, and as fuj said you probably didn't get permission from the right people (even though you gave the credit)...

Skimboarder

shifty, if you're smart you'll stop arguing RIGHT NOW, and remove that video from this thread and the internet, once you've done that you should talk to the guys from njskim and exile and levin media, etc, and see if they are ok with this, because as this thread stands right now, i would not be surprised AT ALL if you got banned

Skimboarder

Well I'm sorry if its such a big deal Ill delete it from the photobucket so I dont piss anyone eles off. I just dont see why you guys are so pissed. I'm not trying to rip anyone off at all. Its not like your illegally watching bearded when you watch this. What ever, I thought you guys would be cool about it instead of bashing me and shit. and no i didnt get any permission from anyone. and yeah the cabo skim video has some of the best skim in it so I used alot of it. what ever sorry for making you guys so mad.

ok I updated the thread and once I get permission, if I do, I'll post it again.

Also from those who did see it, my main thing was just on the editing, was it good at all? any things I should do differnt or anything.

kyleskim6

were not mad, I guess you could say were trying to protect the integrity of the skim communtiy... just trying to keep things straight

Skimboarder

dude, it's not our rules, it's aaron's, and we've seen a lot of people get banned for shit like this because they weren't thinking, we're not trying to bash you, if we wanted to be dicks we'd just leave this thread alone and let aaron ban you

if you're going to re-edit anyone else's footage and post it on the net, you get permission first, period.

Skimboarder

Yeah I understand and I don't want to get banned for that. So thanks for the heads up at least.

Skimboarder

Lots of people have uploaded clips of skimming vids on the internet like Chocolate bunny and knee deep in the hoopla and stuff. probably not legal though?

Skimboarder

i once had sex with a chocolate bunny
    IRB.

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by shifty
    I am a skimboarder and I paid 30$ for the movie and almost everyone here HAS IT.
    yea i just got it today
    havn't even watched it yet
    The J-Gordon Retro Fish is the nicest board I've ever ridden.

Administrator

I dont understand how people could still be confused about this issue.

Did you buy the camera, buy the tape, buy the ticket to Cabo, go stand out in the blazing sun while the waves were firing? No? Then its not your footage and using it for anything without permission is a slap in the face for those that did.

You paid $30 for a DVD that explicitly forbids unauthorized distribution (I now have permission to step on you). If people want to see the footage in the movie, the idea is that they buy the movie and watch it on their TV's in its full glory. Not watch chopped up pieces of it on the internet.

Skimboarder

ok thanks for responding even though it wasnt in my favor. I do understand though.

Pro Skimboarder

Koooooook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Alley-Oop - Rider
    Victoria Skimboards- Rider
    FREAK Traction- Rider

Skimboarder

i <3 you

Skimboarder

its completely legal to make a back up of a dvd you own.
    Hmmm.... No.....

It is against the DMCA just to break the copy protection on any digital media. You must break the copy protection in order to back it up.

EDIT: Nice avatar btw

Skimboarder

ok thanks for responding even though it wasnt in my favor. I do understand though.
    \I don't get what you don't understand, you copied peoples hard work and used it to make your own video, which is illegal. then you post it on the internet for anybody to watch, without permission. Now do you get it?
    Alex Mendrin.
    central valley representative.
    ----------------------------

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by alexM.
    \I don't get what you don't understand, you copied peoples hard work and used it to make your own video, which is illegal. then you post it on the internet for anybody to watch, without permission. Now do you get it?
    the only video anything Illegal was with bearded none of the other videos had copy rights on them. But it would of been smarter to ask if they minded if I used there footage. Also I made this video for you guys, the only people who would see it are YOU GUYS on this forum. but w/e.

And I said I did understand lol. read my post, I made it bold and red for you.

I talked to Peulso privately and worked everything out. So sorry about this. A mod or admin can lock this if they want.

Quote Originally Posted by ledhed
    Hmmm.... No.....

It is against the DMCA just to break the copy protection on any digital media. You must break the copy protection in order to back it up.

EDIT: Nice avatar btw
    Last week, in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, Judge Susan Illston ruled that consumers do not have the right to make backup copies of the DVD discs they purchase. The case was brought by a Missouri company, 321 Studios, which makes a program called DVD X Copy. 321 Studios had hoped to establish the concept of consumer fair use in the digital age, so it picked a courtroom fight with the major motion picture studios.

The studios won.

yeah you are right. Sorry.

And yeah I love my avatar haahha
    Last edited by shifty; 03-01-2007 at 09:15 PM.

Thread Information