Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
    Skimboarder

Default The No Shaping Discussion Rule

no board buldingg

Admin Note: This post originally accused the Admin of "obviously" restricting board building discussion for his own personal profit. After reading the thread, the user deleted his own comments.
    Last edited by skimnj973; 06-07-2006 at 01:31 PM.

Skimboarder

No board building discussion you will get banned lol

Skimboarder

i read the rules and everything but i don't understand why u can't talk about shaping. I'd like to know how to make a board.

Skimboarder

http://209.200.226.154/forum/showthread.php?t=363 i shaped an old surf into a skim. pm me if you want any spcifics so you dont get banned.
    waayyy norcal

Skimboarder

there is a section on skim online. And if everyone started making there own boards there would be no skimboard building industry go take a fiberglassing class.

Or read here for a start
    http://www.skimonline.com/equipment/board_building.htm

SOMB PL

dude thats retarded, plenty of people shape their own surfboards and theres still a huge market for them.

Skimboarder

shaping a skim is easy as hell, the glassing is what will get you.

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by sea lice aka lone ranger
    dude thats retarded, plenty of people shape their own surfboards and theres still a huge market for them.
    Plenty of people surf.
    "I have not been outdone by any of my friends in doing good, or by any of my enemies in doing harm."
    -Lucius Cornelius Sulla

Skimboarder

i dont think people making their own boards will hurt the buisness. But its obvious why you cant talk about it here.
    Micah Cooper
    Syndrome Skimboards - Team Rider
    Run Drop Slide- Team Rider

Administrator

is it obvious? why am I almost positive you have it wrong then?

Skimboarder

i agree, everyone and their mom is a "surfer" so they can afford to teach people to make boards because they know 100,000 other people are going to buy the name brand board just becuase it looks cool and the pros are riding it. Not really the case with skimboarding. The whole reason to make a board would be because you want it custom to what you like. And yes, it would hurt the market because if he learns how to make boards, and teaches all his friends how to make them, and they teach their friends, etc...eventually it makes a difference.

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by p.pointe
    i agree, everyone and their mom is a "surfer" so they can afford to teach people to make boards because they know 100,000 other people are going to buy the name brand board just becuase it looks cool and the pros are riding it. Not really the case with skimboarding. The whole reason to make a board would be because you want it custom to what you like. And yes, it would hurt the market because if he learns how to make boards, and teaches all his friends how to make them, and they teach their friends, etc...eventually it makes a difference.
    Its not necessarily learning to build one. I was kind of toying with experimental rockers and stuff like that and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. To make a board it's not going to be cheaper than buying one manufactured by the regualr brands so there is no benefit other than experimenting.

Mods can delete this thread..

Admin Note: The user also deleted his comments here. Also inflamatory.

Administrator

design discussion is allowed, building discussion is not. pm me if you need clarification on the difference.

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Peluso
    is it obvious? why am I almost positive you have it wrong then?
    please elaborate Aaron, because here is what im thinking.

Just becauase people know how to make a board, doesnt mean that they are interensted in actually making it, and if they are, that doesnt mean that they have the ability and the resources to make a board that is cheaper and better than an Exile. Also, The people that are really really interested in investing in making their own boards and could end up actually stealing(for lack of a better word) your customers some time in the future is going to make them whether or not board buiding is discussed on this message board.

I would like to think that people making their own boards might even help enlarge the entire skimboarding buisiness, bringing more customers to more markets. Or am i just being a little too optimistic?
    Micah Cooper

Administrator

well, this rule existed long before exile was ever conceptualized. So its not about "me", or exile....

its about the proper direction of an industry. the skimboard industry needs to be modeled after the sucessful board manufacturing industries like snowbords and not like failed manufacturing industries like surfboards.

Snowboard manufacturing is a good model. There is a core group of companies that compete against each other and almost all contribute substantially back to the sport.

Surfboard manufacturing is a fracking mess because there are so many "local shapers" (thousands...) that drive prices down by working out of their garages or whatever and give nothing back to the sport of surfing. Even big shapers like Al Merrick don't substantially contribute back into the sport cause they are simply swamped with competitors who are "doing it for the love". Which actually works out fine for surfing cause there are big clothing/lifestyle sponsors to fill that void. Without them surfboard manufacturers could not hope to fill the void.

Skimboarding doesnt have that. We need mfg companies that can be profitable enough to reinvest in the sport and pick ourselves up by our bootstraps, cause no one else is going to do it for us. We need a core group of manufacturers working together, and against each other, to make the sport bigger and better. Otherwise this sport will never grow...

I am not acting as a barrier to new people who want to start companies, I am just refusing to be an enabler. People who want to make skimboards can go figure it out the hard way just like Tex, Bob Smetts, Adrian Prince and Chia did (amongst many others). Anyone complaining about not being able to figure it out on the internet doesnt need to know in the first place.

yee haw

i remeber the old boards i was fracking around and making fun of somone saying XXXX and i was like oh that XXXXX is the tricky shit and it got deleted. hahahah

edit: haha
    what is this i dont even

Skimboarder

Thank you Aaron. I learned something from that.
    I see what you're saying now.
    Micah Cooper

Tourist

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Peluso
    Anyone complaining about not being able to figure it out on the internet doesnt need to know in the first place.
    This could very well be the quote of the year!

Skimboarder

i agree
    Micah Cooper

Thread Information