Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
    SOMB Veteran

Default DVD to MPEG Converter

Anyone know where I can download a video converter to convert DVD's to MPEG? Any ones that I can find that are free only convert 5 minutes...
    Rob Bennett: J-Gordon Team Rider

SOMB Veteran

Well, since any encoder app has to pay for royalty rights for MPG, you won't find any "freeware" type encoders. There's a number of excellent pay apps like Canapous ProCoder and TmpGEnc.

If you want to gen up a streaming file the MS Media Encoder V9 is excellent and free (but outputs to WMA/WMV for MS).

FWIW: If you look at the directory struct on a DVD, in the VIDEO_TS you'll see .VOB files - these are the video data files that are actually an MPG encoded video store. If you want these off the disk, use DVD Decrypter (3.5.4) to read the VOB's (or entire disk) into a HD (it will also resolve RCE and/or region issues, which is the main issue vs. just copying the files).

Then if you have the correct Codec installed, you can just play them in Media Player (rename them to .MPG to make things slightly easier). Also apps like PowerDVD can play DVD's from an HD source directory (they play and navigate just like a disk).

Once you have the source files on your HD, *if* you had an MPG encoder you could re-encode them using a good high-po Codec like DIVX or whatever you have (Divx even has it's own encoder bundle, but again, it's pay-ware).

~DT

SOMB Veteran

Wow, I wish I had a clue about computers... So long story short if I want to put my DVD's onto my iPod I should just go buy a program from Business Depot...

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by xghstx
    Anyone know where I can download a video converter to convert DVD's to MPEG? Any ones that I can find that are free only convert 5 minutes...
    you must be using the ipod converter for macs? if you have a pc though dl videora thats what i use on my pc. i downloaded the ipod converter for mac like 2 days ago and it only would do five minutes also. what im going to do instead is just upload the video onto google video and then download it from google video as ipod format.
    [QUOTE=Walruz996]What if narwhals weren't the gays of the sea?[/QUOTE]

Skimboarder

but thats what i'm doing for short skim videos not full length dvds

Skimboarder

i knew that this was ipod related when i read the first post, make sure you get a program that is specificaly for ripping dvds to your ipod, ipods are very picky about what video they will play, there's a converter called videora that's free and will encode any videos you already have on your computer into ipod format, here's the link

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Convert...d/download.php

as for dvd to ipod converters, i haven't found any yet that are free, i don't think you will either, so i guess you'll just have to buy one......

on a COMPLETELY unrelated note, someone just told me about some website called isohunt.com, and some program called utorrent, does any one know what these are for?

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

look up magicdvd or something like that

edit: http://www.magicdvdripper.com/

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by skimminOB
    you must be using the ipod converter for macs? if you have a pc though dl videora thats what i use on my pc. i downloaded the ipod converter for mac like 2 days ago and it only would do five minutes also. what im going to do instead is just upload the video onto google video and then download it from google video as ipod format.
    I'm pretty sure it's illegal for me to upload Bearded on Google...

Quote Originally Posted by didj prophet
    there's a converter called videora that's free and will encode any videos you already have on your computer into ipod format
    Now for the dumb question... How do I upload my Bearded DVD onto my computer...

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

dvddecrypter
    free, amazing. That's all you need to know

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ZapBulletRider
    dvddecrypter
    free, amazing. That's all you need to know
    so with that i can upload my dvds to my computer then convert them with videora?

edit: and when i rip all the files will it just be one file on my computer that i could then convert?

SOMB Veteran

Outstanding! Just used this and works excellent, fast, simple, the video looks terrific on the POD.

Thanks, great find ~

DT

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by DT
    Outstanding! Just used this and works excellent, fast, simple, the video looks terrific on the POD.

Thanks, great find ~

DT
    How can I use it to convert DVD's though? A friend of mine has Videora but couldn't get it to convert DVD's into MPG's...

SOMB Veteran

so with that i can upload my dvds to my computer then convert them with videora?

edit: and when i rip all the files will it just be one file on my computer that i could then convert?
    Simple 3 step:

1) Rip DVD to HD using DVDDecrypter

2) Convert using Videora (default settings work perfect)

3) Move to POD (as per my usual, Anapod > iTunes)

Since a DVD is a set of files plus control files, you'll get individual MP4's - so you'll have to play the main video content 1GB at a time (largest VOB). No biggie though for some portable fun.

Optionally, you can use something like MPGJoin to create one big video file (but again, note there won't be any menus, etc.)

DT

Skimboarder

How can I use it to convert DVD's though? A friend of mine has Videora but couldn't get it to convert DVD's into MPG's...
    DT and zbr's method will work just fine, but since you aren't as experienced with computers and a lot of this dvd stuff is probably new to you your best bet would be a converter that is specifically designed to rip dvds into ipod format, there are some really good ones out there, they give you a lot of control over audio/video quality plus they're quick and easy, all you do is stick the dvd in, click start, and the dvd will be copied in real time directly into ipod format, then you just take that file and throw it on your ipod

i know of this, uh, special deal, or something, where you can get a dvd-to-ipod ripper, i'll pm you the details

Skimboarder

dude xghstx, if you upload bearded onto google for a day so i can dl it and then you delete it i will praise you in all of our lives forever

SOMB Veteran

dude xghstx, if you upload bearded onto google for a day so i can dl it and then you delete it i will praise you in all of our lives forever
    Bad idea...

Skimboarder

http://209.200.226.154/forum/announcement.php?f=3&a=1

i dont want to be that dude that is always reminding people of the rules, but i feel like i should give you a chance to avoid getting banned, the mods have no tolerance for that, you break that rule, you're banned, no warnings, frankly i'll be surprised if you don't get banned for that post

SOMB Veteran

So I don't want Videora on my computer anymore... Why the frack can't i delete it?

Skimboarder

start > settings > control panel > add/remove programs > uninstall videora

it may leave some files, folders, or shortcuts around, just delete them manually

Mustached Gent

party foul.

SOMB Veteran

start > settings > control panel > add/remove programs > uninstall videora

it may leave some files, folders, or shortcuts around, just delete them manually
    i uninstalled it but i was having problems deleting the shortcuts on the desktop... ctrl+alt+del + processes + end process button = solved.

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by DT
    Well, since any encoder app has to pay for royalty rights for MPG, you won't find any "freeware" type encoders. There's a number of excellent pay apps like Canapous ProCoder and TmpGEnc.

If you want to gen up a streaming file the MS Media Encoder V9 is excellent and free (but outputs to WMA/WMV for MS).

FWIW: If you look at the directory struct on a DVD, in the VIDEO_TS you'll see .VOB files - these are the video data files that are actually an MPG encoded video store. If you want these off the disk, use DVD Decrypter (3.5.4) to read the VOB's (or entire disk) into a HD (it will also resolve RCE and/or region issues, which is the main issue vs. just copying the files).

Then if you have the correct Codec installed, you can just play them in Media Player (rename them to .MPG to make things slightly easier). Also apps like PowerDVD can play DVD's from an HD source directory (they play and navigate just like a disk).

Once you have the source files on your HD, *if* you had an MPG encoder you could re-encode them using a good high-po Codec like DIVX or whatever you have (Divx even has it's own encoder bundle, but again, it's pay-ware).

~DT
    pretty much everything he just said........if you are looking to convert to MPG4. (ipod video) use something called Videora....type it in google, its freeware and its legit.
    Skim Central

Sickday Surf

Reckless Skim

Wilbs Shoes

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by SeanS
    pretty much everything he just said........if you are looking to convert to MPG4. (ipod video) use something called Videora....type it in google, its freeware and its legit.
    I guess you didn't read the rest of the thread...

Thread Information