Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
    King of the Manlets

Default Where are they now Thread

Using this thread to get an update on anyone who was a part of this thing when it was a real community. Also, sending out an APB for Ryon Graf. I recently took a vacation to San Diego, and would have liked to have seen him. I hope he's doing well with his cancer research career and has not let photography go by the way side. I got into it last year myself and now understand the addiction.

I have lived all over Texas for the last 6 years with a few months-long stays in Louisiana and Mississippi. I was in the desert of Alpine, Texas for the last two years running a pipeline project across the mexican border. In March of this year, I moved to a small town near Columbus, Ohio to begin another pipeline construction project that will keep me here through the end of the year.

My wife still travels with me and our little girl turned 18 months old 2 days ago. She is absolutely perfect in every way. As Al Pacino said in the horrible movie that was the Godfather 3, the only wealth in this world is children. It was the best thing that ever happened to me.

I will end up settling down somewhere in the next 3 years so that we are somewhere permanently by the time Sadie starts school and so that we can have more kids and have a more normal lifestyle. We are looking at moving to either Salt Lake City or Denver. We are both from Florida and she is originally from the Caribbean (Honduran Bay Islands) so we like the mountains now.

My hobbies over the past few years have changed quite a bit. I have always liked magic and had some free time at work a few years ago so I got into doing a bunch of card tricks and now really take joy in learning new things and trying to innovate card magic. I have not been able to do much disc golfing the past 2 years, but now live in an area where there are a few good courses so I will pick that back up. I got into cycling in late 2015 with some friends and still try to get about 50 miles a week when I have time. It's tough to really get a schedule down when work hours vary so much and there is always something to do around the house.

Hope everyone can join in on this. I catch myself talking about friends I had that did this or that and then realize that it was people from this messageboard and I have hardly met anyone from here IRL. Good luck to everyone and hope to hear back.

The Yeti

Congrats on the little one! Looks like you've been staying busy. Funny that you mention being from Florida so mountains are a welcome change. Having lived in Austin (not saying we have mountains, just land locked) for a couple of years I'm really missing the coast. My entire adult life has been spent on the Gulf Coast, West Coast, or Key West up until living here so just feels like somethings missing. The plus side is I have four racetracks within 2-4 hours and that's been my main hobby this year. No g/f or chilrens, but I'm pretty consistently found in the garage or at the track, whether testing or competing. It's a money pit, but a blast. Usually camp at the track and we party Saturday night. These are my people.

Team Wookie
    Live every week...like it's shark week.

SOMB Veteran

We should start a FB group or something. I'm still in LA, working in tech. Surfing a lot, don't skim much anymore. Folks from the workout thread would be interested to know I guess that I'm still lifting and recently started BJJ which is very addictive. I still see some of you guys on FB, and Conor and I snapchat back and forth some. Glad to see you guys are doing well.

SOMB Veteran

Skimboarder

Requested to join -- Aidan. Will give you some rep for an accept.

Thanks for the idea and the write up, Logan. It's funny how this community has aged like fine wine in my memory. We were at the front edge of the Internet, using it so innocently and enjoyably. I actually only logged on today because there was a video on Reddit about the one and only Allison Stokke, the pole vaulter taking a nasty fall in competition. Good times, good times. I vividly remember when the reposting from Reddit began to wash this community out, although it does look like it's thriving with phone salesmen these days. I don't think there's any other group of people who I've never met before that I remember so fondly -- or that I'm so curious/optimistic to know where they are now. (Specifically, ChinaShred!)

I graduated from undergrad from in '14 and then spent a year designing software/electronics at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore (I managed to skim just about every Summer weekend in Delaware). I quit that job and spent the last year or so living in Durham, NC to get a M.S. degree in electrical engineering, which I really never imagined I'd be able to do. I'm currently taking some time off before joining the workforce to build a camera that I hope to sell as a product someday.

No family, kids, or girlfriend at the moment but I'm starting to think in that direction. This is the first year I'm not quite sure I'll be able to catch the waves. I'm hoping to pick up surfing for lower impact. Now that I'm finished school and have nothing really tieing me to the East Coast, I'm actually considering a move out West to San Diego, Austin, or Denver (although I'd consider LA if that tech job had a nice opening ).

It's been fairly easy to expand my hobbies since highschool/undergrad because I didn't have too many then. I invested in a good road bike as well as learning how to keep it in shape. A lot of pick up soccer. The unique hobby I've picked up is social dancing -- so, whether it's country or latin or blues, taking a few classes solo or with your S.O. is a great way to meet an interesting local community. I thought I'd hate it, but was hooked after trying it out; it's incredibly fun and skim balance will go a long way

Skimboarder

Howdy (Zeus)....

I graduated college 2 years ago and am still in Jersey. I work for a health care system doing clinical software development stuffs. I skim maybe 2-3 times a year only when it's absolutely perfect jersey liners otherwise it's all surfing at this point year round. Im still fishing religiously but mainly saltwater. And I'm still playing too much battlefield (ps4 with some old sombers).

I'm 24 still living at home thanks to student loans but I'll be out eventually. I'm undecided if I want to move to where I work (AC area) or move to consulting and live out west or something. Who knows but I'm content with work so I got that going for me. I'm not on FB or Instagram or anything anymore aside from Snapchat

I'm with stupid

I'm still in Los Angeles.

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    Howdy (Zeus)....

I graduated college 2 years ago and am still in Jersey. I work for a health care system doing clinical software development stuffs. I skim maybe 2-3 times a year only when it's absolutely perfect jersey liners otherwise it's all surfing at this point year round. Im still fishing religiously but mainly saltwater. And I'm still playing too much battlefield (ps4 with some old sombers).

I'm 24 still living at home thanks to student loans but I'll be out eventually. I'm undecided if I want to move to where I work (AC area) or move to consulting and live out west or something. Who knows but I'm content with work so I got that going for me. I'm not on FB or Instagram or anything anymore aside from Snapchat
    Shut up.
    she’ll kiss away your gypsy fears and turn some restless nights to restless years

candy-ass

have skimmed maybe three times in the past 2 years. still play a bit of vidya on the ol' pc

doug was right, DC sucked ass (and was too expensive). truly the city of SJWs. worked for the feds up until last year, saved up some dees money, quit and moved back to the soflo fiya. will start working in law enforcement again in the coming months. will have to get re-certified on a state level even though i already possess a federal certification. SAD!
    Pool's closed.

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by mike hayz View Post
    Shut up.
    update: where is chachi now? ded

Skim Junkie

I keep meaning to reply to this thread. Anyway I'm back in Florida and apparently I'm the only SOMBer who still skims regularly.
    Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass

SOMB Veteran

I live in LA now and still skim on occasion. Just sent a request to join the group.
    (´・ω・`)

Skimboarder

oh gosh guiz

Skimboarder

Hey all, im 25 just bought a place in a city. Work at a software company doing tech stuff. I started climbing - mostly boulder indoors but also sport climbing then moved to outdoor boulder and sport climbing. I skim most weekends if there is no surf and I'm not on an overhang somewhere.

Skimboarder

Here's a picture of me bouldering in canada somewhere. Also i added that group. Also no gf or kids.

https://m.imgur.com/fdiUalO

God damn I forgot how to use this site
    Attached Images Attached Images

Skimboarder

GDC

Thread Information