Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
    Skimboarder

Default Moving from Florida To California

I am going to do it. In 6 months, i am moving. Laguna NIguel, Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Dana Point, San Clemente, any of the above. I need some advice, though. Me and my girlfriend have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and a 2 bedroom house in florida. We would need to move our furniture clear across the states, our vehicles, and our backs/animals' backs. This is a pretty major move, i'm thinking it will cost 5000 at least. Has anyone on here moved like this? Do you have any recommendations on methods of moving? We are probably going to move into apartments, this will be my first time moving out of home. I have a plethora of restaurant experience, a 2 years associate degree, and a great work ethic, so i don't think finding a job will be a problem. Mainly what i am curious about is the move. How much will it cost? How long will it take. I need to keep my jeep in decent shape so driving it across the country doesn't make much since, but it can be towed if i had a moving truck or something. My girlfriend has a volkswagen bug so putting anything in our vehicle for "Storage" space will not be sufficient. This is skimboarding related, i want to move and shred sick waves all the time! Any advice is appreciated --
    Loveful, i-rey heights

Skimboarder

Talk to wsmassiv, he moved out west from dc area last year.
    Good luck man

Skim Junkie

most moving companies will give you a quote. using a uhaul is a bit cheaper, but gas adds up quick
    Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass

Skimboarder

I'm moving out right after Christmas, I'm going solo. I figured it's going to cost me around 500 in gas, not to bad. Did you already find a place? There's plenty of furnished places out there...
    exile skimboards
    lets party traction
    @capecodskimboarding
    @nb508

Administrator

a lot of people who move ship their car. they load it up with personal belongings, ship the car then fly out. The shipping is close to the cost of gas.

Buuuut, pretty much it sounds like you have a lot of stuff you want to hang on to so a Uhaul or something is probably best. Thats what my sister did when she moved back from NYC.
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner
    United Skim Tour - Director & President

Administrator

Look in dana point or laguna niguel to be close to skim.
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner

Skimboarder

You've got a good amount of time. On my last day of spring semester at FAU, I got an internship in San Clemente that started the next day. I flew out of Orlando the next morning with a bag of clothes, laptop, and a full boardbag. No car, no place to stay.

Sell all the furniture you can live without. It'll lighten the luggage load and the weekend garage sales in Orange County are solid gold. I was able to furnish a rented room with a bed, dresser, and clothes rack in one day with less than $100, all on a skateboard to and from my boss' house in San Clemente.

One of my co-workers stuffed his car (sedan) with all of his goods and had a semi-truck load his car and bring it out to California because it was on route. I'm not sure the price/how safe this is because his buddy's down owned the truck company but he said I should've at least looked into it because not having transportation on there ended up being a bitch. I would research some of the clever ways to get your car out there - AND research the requirements to register/have a car in CA because I know a few things differ or can cost you. You may want to try selling both of your cars and buying one car.

For work, I'd check craigslist for paid internships first. Then, look for a restaurant job. If you want to stay out there and continually live a better life - you need a job with a less distant future than restaurant manager. You may want to try and promote some event gigs on the weekends too. Socialize hard and build yourself a network outside of skimboarding/surfing.

For a place to live, throw up a facebook status and check craigslist daily. I would avoid roommates you are uncertain of because Orange County can do ya dirty on that (crazy and financially-questionable people).

Get a Costco membership if you don't already have one. Trader Joe's is cool, too.

Not sure about transporting the pets but obviously you're gonna have to set up a spot prior to moving that allows pets.

I'm just thinking out loud here and looking over what I just wrote, my experience seems much different from yours. Get in touch with Paddy Mack if you can, I'm pretty sure he made the move from FL and has been out there in that area for a while now.

Skimboarder

Depending on how nice your stuff (namely furniture) is/how attached you are to it, I would try selling it and acquiring new furniture in Cali. Would save a lot on shipping/fuel.
    disregard females, acquire currency

Skimboarder

after talking to some really good friends and doing some more research i've decided that this is definitely going to happen. When, is the question. I heard summer months are tuff for finding a job, i've got a plethora of restaurant experience though, and I'm a dedicated hard working individual, even if i don't find a restaurant job i will be out there looking every single day. I realized we will probably have to sell most of our furniture, keeping only kitchen appliances/dishes, a couch, the tv, dressers, and a bed.

my best friend wants to move to, so now we are deciding on a 2 bedroom place. I found alot of apartments that aren't too far from the beach, but i'm really not to worried as long as im not too far west. I think san juan capistrano would be nice, thats where my parents took me when i was little, but i'm unsure of prices/places. I will most likely get a uhaul, and tow my jeep out there that way. I've got surfboards and skimboards to bring, and the 2 dogs/2 cats most likely too.

i am going to apply for a california ID ASAP, because i was told that residency can take up to two years to be established.

What are these internships that some of you have mentioned? Since i'm moving from home, and basically opening my door to change, i don't mind trying a different job other than restaurant work, as long as its not retail. As far as navigation, i will be bringing my jeep and my girlfriend has a volkswagen bug, that we can use. If it comes down to it and i don't really need a transport, i will sell my jeep. It really just depends where we end up. My best friend knows many connections in san clemente, as far as people and places go. I have a 2 year degree and will be trying to do some school, which i hear is cheaper after residency is established.

overall, i am very excited about the plan. I have had some discouraging views from some people, but i am my own person and i will make my own choices. I know that this is what i have wanted for a long long time, and i have to give it a shot. i'm trying to stay positive. 6000 is my goal, but i wouldn't mind having more saved. does anyone on here have any connections with work in the area?

one thing i am a little worried about is crime. I am not gonna let "what ifs" decide my future, but i do want to be prepared for any event that could happen.
    Loveful, i-rey heights

Administrator

I am not sure about when to get a job... but I could see how being here a little before the kids get out of school could play to your advantage.

In my experience food service is the easiest way for skimmers to make decent money around here.

Paddy manages a place last I heard. I am cant recall if you guys know each other or not.

For renting a place, its probably best to be here well before summer. also, spring is good for skim. I would shoot for march arrival probably...

not sure what you are talking about in regards to crime. not really an issue unless you are moving to santa ana or something...

finding somewhere pet friendly can be tough. (tougher for sure)

sounds exciting!
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Morris View Post
    i am going to apply for a california ID ASAP, because i was told that residency can take up to two years to be established.

As long as you have an address to give the DMV you can get your license the day of your appointment. Never heard of 2 years before.

Anyway, when I came out here from the east coast I shipped my car and got movers for my stuff, then flew. Shipping the car was $1k, and moving my stuff was about $800 (not a ton of stuff). If you do decide to ship, let me know and I can give you the number of the service I used, they were very good and actually came when they said they would (which is a huge problem in the car shipping business). Come before summer if you can, like AP said it's hard to find a place to rent in the summer, not to mention gas is much more expensive then. Also, spring is great for waves in general. All the winter sandbars are still around, and the NW swells start to mix with the S. I'm speaking more from a surfing perspective but yeah, the skim is great then too.

As far as jobs, I think you'll find there's much more opportunity in Southern Cal than in Florida... moreso in the bigger cities like LA and SD, but if you're living in San Clemente you could theoretically commute to SD.

Good luck and congrats.

Skimboarder

Still planning to make this move. Solo now. I split up with the girl because i feel like she was holding me back from what i really want. I really want to move still. I am looking to come out by early june. Anyone who knows of rooms for rent in the area or jobs available please let me know ! i am lining up a few connections to come out in may and i am vigorously searching criagslist for rooms. My goal is to find something generally closer to the beach, but still around 7-800 a month. What to i need to do to research the people who are renting out the places where i want to live? And i will be shipping my jeep instead of driving. Trying to sell all my furniture and basically everything to save for the trip.
    Loveful, i-rey heights

Skimboarder

Good for you, follow your dreams son! Shred some for me when you're out there! You can do it!
    ><> ><>

SOMB Veteran

I know a buddy who wants to sublease his room in El Porto (LA) next month, if you want something temporary while you get settled. I know you're looking to move to OC, just throwing it out there

Skimboarder

just be prepared for the rent prices out here..
    Slotstik Skimboards - Team Rider

Skimboarder

Well I live in Aliso Viejo, and besides Dana Point and Laguna Niguel, it's one of the closest cities to Laguna. Great area, but I'm not really sure how much apartments might be. You could look up Alize, City Lights, Barcelona, and Alicante for starters! Hope everything goes as planned for you!
    "Surfing is very much like making love. It always feels good, no matter how many times you've done it." -Paul Strauch

Skimboarder

rent is not an issue. i have money saved and i have already found a few places. i am struggling to find out how i am gonna ship my jeep and whatnot. i have a place in san fernando valley for the month of may to stay for free, just to get my jeep and boards and clothes out there, and then in the month of may i will confirm a place to live and a job. i am interested in hauling companies to ship the jeep, but am having no luck. anyone got ideas?
    Loveful, i-rey heights

Skimboarder

sell jeep and buy new one there?

Skimboarder

rent is not an issue. i have money saved and i have already found a few places. i am struggling to find out how i am gonna ship my jeep and whatnot. i have a place in san fernando valley for the month of may to stay for free, just to get my jeep and boards and clothes out there, and then in the month of may i will confirm a place to live and a job. i am interested in hauling companies to ship the jeep, but am having no luck. anyone got ideas?
    i was out there this year but tore my hamstring and inner thigh and ended up having to fly home and ship my car, costed me 900 with this one company, took them like 2weeks tho.
    exile skimboards
    lets party traction
    @capecodskimboarding
    @nb508

Skimboarder

Why dont you just drive your jeep to CA? Thats what i did when i moved out here from Michigan. Loaded up my car and cruised. It was pretty fun and i didnt have to deal with the hassle of shipping my car and flying out myself.

Skim Junkie

Yeah, take a week an do a road trip. Hit up the national parks along the way.
    Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass

Skimboarder

as much as i want to sell the jeep and buy a new one out there, thats impractical considering my funds. Most good cars for sale are over 3000 and i am going to need nearly that much to get established. I am shipping it out, and flying out. going to cost around 2 grand but will be worth it, because driving would be risky and too expensive. I have planned to reach dana point area by may 20th. Will be applying for all kinds of restaurant jobs because thats what my experience is in, does anyone have recommendations of their favorite place to go to that is busy and good? I am going to apply EVERYWHERE i can, so any suggestions are helpful.
    Loveful, i-rey heights

Skimboarder

i have a place in san fernando valley for the month of may to stay for free
    I'm in the SFV, hit me up if you wanna skim nor LA
    www.InsertNameHereLA.com

LA Skimboarding News and Media

Skimboarder

I lived in Aliso Viejo for a year at the Alicante Apartments (great place to live). Aliso Viejo has everything (restaurants, movie theater, grocery, clothing stores, etc) and more (skatepark). It usually took me like 10 minutes or so to get to 9th street. Irvine is super close too and I would advise you to check out the irvine spectrum if you want to work at a restaurant.

Tourist

Robbie I love you! and I'm so proud of you!

Skimboarder

@ REne Gonzalez! LETS DO IT
    Loveful, i-rey heights

Skimboarder

@ Rob Morris you out here already?
    www.InsertNameHereLA.com

LA Skimboarding News and Media

SOMB Veteran

I'm also headed out West around the end of May. Just about to get my degree in Software Engineering in 2 weeks so I'm not to worried about getting a job or paying rent but moving all my shit is going to be a PITA. If anyone has a hot tip on a room for rent open in the next month shoot me a PM. I have a cat but he's chill. Also any recommendations on areas to look or places to avoid would be appreciated.
    (・ω・`)

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by $ilky $kim View Post
    I'm also headed out West around the end of May. Just about to get my degree in Software Engineering in 2 weeks so I'm not to worried about getting a job or paying rent but moving all my shit is going to be a PITA. If anyone has a hot tip on a room for rent open in the next month shoot me a PM. I have a cat but he's chill. Also any recommendations on areas to look or places to avoid would be appreciated.
    I would be willing to get a place! not sure what your thoughts are on that.. have to meet you first. I am moving out in 2 weeks RENE GONZALEZ. I will be off Vanalden ave in tarzana on may 20th.
    Loveful, i-rey heights

SOMB Veteran

I would be willing to get a place! not sure what your thoughts are on that.. have to meet you first. I am moving out in 2 weeks RENE GONZALEZ. I will be off Vanalden ave in tarzana on may 20th.
    Not opposed to that but it's a little farther North then I planned on moving, I might get back to you though I'm still looking through exactly what I'm trying to do.
    (・ω・`)

Skimboarder

silky skim, i don't know if you misunderstood what i was saying? i mean to say that i am living with a cousin/family member in tarzana, to get my feet wet. I have just moved out here and got a lot of adapting to do. after 2 or 3 weeks, i plan to move south to laguna.

as far as skim, I'm here, and I'm going to westward beach today. anyone in the area who wants to maybe skim call me @ 7seven2-2zero9-8two2two
    Loveful, i-rey heights

Skimboarder

Hello all,
    Myself Albert i am from Florida and want to move California and than after that i will move Toronto in Canada.Canadians living in California can help to me find work and stay there i will be very thankful for this kindness.

Thread Information