Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
    Skimboarder

Default Two questions for better skimming

When you run towards the wave where are your eyes looking at the wave or at the spot where abouts you wanna drop...and my front foot burries into the wave/water when i get there what can i to cleanly get on the wave.

Skimboarder

You start by making a spot on the wave that you are targeting your turn then you look towards where you want to go.
    east coast skimboards - sponsor

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by godenver View Post
    When you run towards the wave where are your eyes looking at the wave or at the spot where abouts you wanna drop...and my front foot burries into the wave/water when i get there what can i to cleanly get on the wave.
    u look at the spot at the wave then, when running and dropping, look at your board, then look back up to look at the wave again.
    i'm not sure exactly what you're asking on your second question, but when you are transitioning from sand to water you have to lean back and then forward again to make a smooth transition.
    if you mean that you go through the wave instead of going on/in it, then work on pushing off the wave by extending your legs when you get to the wave. so instead of just going over or through the wave, you are pushing off of it and using the wave's energy to ride it back to shore.
    i don't think that made too much sense but i hope i helped
    it's not the board, it's the rider

Skimboarder

No it did the whole transition part im not leaning back when i leave the sand so the front of my board burries into the wave. I get on fff so i need to lean back and lift up sooner then most

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by lucasskim View Post
    u look at the spot at the wave then, when running and dropping, look at your board, then look back up to look at the wave again.
    Dat right dur^

And i think for your second question you are trying to transition from sand sliding to deeper water but your board will not float up to the top of the water you are transitioning into?

If thats what your asking it may be hard for a skimboard to maintain a smooth speed while it goes into a steep face of white wash. You should only hit bigger faces of white wash when you are already in deep water making "wrap" or banking off the whitewash. So only transition to deeper water when you have a clear flat water surface ahead of you.
    UNCW Skim Club President

Skimboarder

I've found that if I stare at the peak as I'm running for the wave I'm able to better follow and get to the best part of the wave which gives me the best chance of being able to catch the wave.
    The J-Gordon Retro Fish is the nicest board I've ever ridden.

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Coxie View Post
    Dat right dur^

And i think for your second question you are trying to transition from sand sliding to deeper water but your board will not float up to the top of the water you are transitioning into?

If thats what your asking it may be hard for a skimboard to maintain a smooth speed while it goes into a steep face of white wash. You should only hit bigger faces of white wash when you are already in deep water making "wrap" or banking off the whitewash. So only transition to deeper water when you have a clear flat water surface ahead of you.
    If this is what you are asking, you can try to water drop and see if that helps.
    http://www.bpmphoto.blogspot.com

Skimboarder

Raisins_Face.jpg
    He is not ready!
    UNCW Skim Club President

Thread Information