Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SOMB Veteran

Default Going to Maui next month

Staying at the Honua Kai in Lahaina... I'm hoping to skim and surf if there's waves. Looking at google maps I'm discouraged because it looks like the town is blocked from swell. Will I have to drive to be able to surf/skim? If so, where should I head?

candy-ass

you will find waves. lahaina had some fun surf when i went, plus you will be close to kanaapali (i think?) which gets some sick liners. i only spent 2 afternoons in the area so i can't tell you much, the best skim i found there was on some dark sanded beach along the highway. i don't remember the name, but it had some reeling right to left thigh high lines. if i were you i'd still make the drive to makena at least once. i was there for an entire week and the wind was offshore every morning with waist-stomach+ skim. some of the funnest rides i've ever had, and i was the only person skimming on the beach, not to mention it's one of the most beautiful beaches ive ever been to. the drive from lahaina to makena was like 45 minutes or so, maybe more. this was in late july or early august

SOMB Veteran

honolua bay is only 20 mins away so I'll definitely be headed there if there's swell

Skimboarder

As far as skimming goes, you are going to be closest to Ka'anapali beach, which has a point with liners and some good shore break....There's also Airport beach, which is closer to you than Ka'anapali. Then there's Makena on the south shore of Maui...which will be about 50 min from where you are staying. That has a good shore break, some days are heavier than others. Most of Maui, you'll want to skim in the morning because when the wind hits, skimmin' is pau (hawaiian for finished).

As for surfing, the closest to you is going to be Honolua Bay aka. the Blue room...although you may be past all of the north swells - which is what the bay needs to break. That just means that you'll have to head south a bit. If you are lucky enough to time it right, there'll be a south swell that will make Ma'alea break. That is a great wave.

If you have any place specific that you are thinking of as far as where to skim, where to eat, what to do, hit me up. Like that crazy guy said in Braveheart "It's my island!!!"
    "Sex at age 90 is like trying to shoot pool with a rope." - George Burns

Skimboarder

you'll get the best surf in lahaina town (mala wharf, lahaina harbor, breakwall, shark pit, puamana).
    There is Olowalu & 1000 peaks further south (but still on the "west side" of the island)
    These break best on a south or west swell which is most typical for summer. (fingers crossed)
    you will need to drive 5-15 minutes south from honua kai to get there, depending where you go.
    nice place, btw. did some work there. badass swimming pool

there is skim / surf on the beach fronting the resort - but I usually don't skim there in summer unless there's an unusual north or nw. it can be rocky / not as good as kaanapali beach

kaanapali beach (& pretty much everything north of it) breaks better with a north or nw, or a big west for skimming (& surfing at the point). there's good snorkeling if flat & cliffs to jump off of on the north end of the beach. there a few other breaks north of your place between honolua bay. drive north staying on lower honoapiilani hwy. and you'll pass a few surf spots which will all probably be flat as a lake.
    even if there isn't a north, definitely drive out to Honolua Bay it's awesome. nice snorkeling during summer

if there's a south or sw try big beach in makena like pike said for skimming - that's where we'll probly be
    (also surfing at dumps / la perouse if big - further south of big beach, you drive through the lava fields - gnarly waves too)
    as pike mentioned, you'll also pass maalaea harbor on the way to kihei, good wave when it's breaking

check out the north shore, ho'okipa beach - if there's any kind of north swell (unlikely) there's good surf there or around paia town. nice road trip even if flat.
    hana is cool but a long drive. if you go to the north shore, eat dinner at Mama's Fish House if you have the dough. or paia fishmarket for lunch

check omaui.com for the surf report

also, biking down a volcano really is that fun (& dangerous)
    hope you score some waves
    Last edited by Rusty; 04-22-2012 at 08:21 PM.

SOMB Veteran

I really appreciate the info guys. This is a lot to take in, it sounds like I'm gonna want to stick to the southside of the island to try and find surf. I'm doing some snorkeling thing (going with family, gotta do the tourist stuff) in Ma'alea, so hopefully I can get out early AM and try to get some surf there. Hopefully I can get to Makena too. Honolua bay is so close, I'm praying there's a N swell when I get there. Honestly I'll be happy even if I can get some surfable waist+ anything in Lahaina in the mornings. What Hawaiians consider flat us Floridians consider rideable, so I'm banking on that haha. Is the westside generally pretty flat this time of year?

Skimboarder

Nah, most of the swells in spring/summer usually come out of the south pacific so they'll hit the south shore and the westside. Like rusty said, there are tons of surf spots along the westside, it just depends on if there is a swell or not.

As for going snorkeling out of Ma'alea, that would mean that you are going to head towards Molokini....personally, I'm not a fan of that trip...it's an ok boat ride to some ok snorkeling. There are some good snorkeling places all over the island. One of the best is actually Honolua Bay - it's a fish reserve, believe it or not - along with a great surf spot. There's also mile marker 14 on your way out to your hotel from the airport...or about a 20 min drive back from your hotel. Both of those are beach launches. So it just depends on what you and your family want.

SOMB Veteran

I really appreciate it guys. Now that it's only 3 weeks away I can't contain my excitement. I went to Oahu when I was little, before my surfing/skimming days. Obviously when you start surfing, you quickly realize that Hawaii is a real rest of your abilities, I mean I've done costa but HI is a different story. I'm just really stoked to get to go back to one of the islands.
    Last edited by WSMassiv; 04-23-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Tourist

hey i also love to travel and i also have a plan to visit the place soon. That is one of my dream worlds.

Plummer

Skimboarder

first south of the summer firing now - big beach last night:

* bigger waves today - & harder to reach:

Last edited by Rusty; 04-28-2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: *

Skimboarder

You live in the promised land.

Tourist

I could've sworn your post was from me. I'm going to the Honua Kai with my family May 24-June 1st and I'm looking for places to skim too. When are you going to be on vacation? Maybe we can meet up and have a little skim sesh or something.

SOMB Veteran

Rusty nice pics! I missed those.

I'm flying out tomorrow, staying through the 20th. Thanks so much for the info guys. looks like a couple of south swells headed in this week too, stoked!! Fingers are crossed.

One more question for you all... I badly need to find suncure and possibly a spare fin. Is there a decent local (not tourist trap) surf shop in Lahaina?
    Last edited by WSMassiv; 05-11-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Skimboarder

Big Beach, Little beach for skim. Places to surf are everywhere, you can't drive 5 miles with out finding people surfing.
    ><> ><>

SOMB Veteran

Yeah! I plan to try and skim kaanapali for sure, and get to Makena if I can. We have a rental car so I plan on using it for many dawn patrols whilst my family sleeps in.

Skimboarder

There are a bunch of surf shops near Honua Kai, the closest to you is probably Billabong at Whaler's Village Shopping Center which is right on Kaanapali Beach.
    There is a Local Motion shop at the Lahaina Gateway Shopping Center a little more south of HK, and another Billabong shop on Front Street in the center of Lahaina town.
    There's Maui Built in Kahului as you leave the airport area, which would be more of a "local" shop.
    It's all pretty touristy where you'll be staying but all of the surf shops should be fairly well stocked.
    There's been waves all week, hope it continues while you're here. Pike & I will probably be skimming at Makena this weekend, should be fun!

candy-ass

the things i would do to get back there...

Skimboarder

Hows the trip going Massiv? Score any waves on the west side?
    Makena was fun yesterday evening

SOMB Veteran

Been surfing Lahaina harbor every day, it's been small but some really fun lefts, nice local kids too. Got some really fun skim near my hotel in Kannapali too. I'm sunburnt, and have cuts on the bottom of my feet from getting my leash ripped off by a set at the harbor and having to chase my board across the reef, but I have 3 days left to surf and I plan on using them!

Not sure if I'll be able to get to Makena but I will let you know if so. I haven't surfed the breakwall yet but it looks fun, I might head there this evening.

Skimboarder

As long as you're getting some good surf in, take it. If you make it down Makena way, just hit us up. If not, no biggie. Just enjoy your trip.

Skimboarder

I'll be right in that area for a week in the beginning of July. Thought I'd introduce myself, I plan on skimming with you guys while I'm there.

Skimboarder

awsome selva, pm me or pike before you fly out if you wanna meet up for a skim sesh.
    glad you're making the most of it massiv! hope you & the family enjoy the rest of your trip

Skimboarder

will do! i'll be there tuesday-monday (3rd-9th), when do you guys usually skim?

Skimboarder

I usually skim weekend mornings, and weekday evenings after work
    Are you staying in Kihei / Wailea or Lahaina / Kaanapali?

Skimboarder

staying in kaanapali at the Westin during the week, then at the Sheraton for the weekend.

Skimboarder

I usually skim at big beach since I live in kihei, which is about an hour from kaanapali
    But if there's waves I'm always up for a road trip
    If you can make it to makena for late afternoon, I'm on a green bottom / white top exile

SOMB Veteran

Unfortunately getting to Makena isn't going to work out for me, 4 people sharing one car and other plans just getting in the way. I really appreciate all the info you guys gave me, it really helped tremendously. Tomorrow is my last day here and I'm really sad I have to leave your wonderful island. The locals are all so amazing. Everything I've ever heard about Hawaiian localism seems like crap to me... every local I've met in the water has been extremely nice, interested in where I'm from, and have the best surf etiquette I've ever experienced. I don't feel hassled at all in a crowded lineup, because everyone is taking turns and sharing the stoke. I want to move here haha.

Skimboarder

That's really cool, glad you had a good time
    I feel very lucky to have been raised here
    What kinds of other shit did you do, ulalena, any hiking etc, cheesy luau perhaps?
    *Did you check out honolua bay?

SOMB Veteran

Went on the West Maui/Molokai helicopter tour... definitely a highlight, the cliffs on Molokai are unreal. Did the sunrise bikeride down the volcano, that was a once in a lifetime thing, so amazing. Also did a trip to Lana'i and snorkeled out there, very cool. Tomorrow I'm goin on a submarine out in the channel, really stoked on that I've never done anything like it. We decided against a Luau in favor of the volcano bike ride.

I didn't get to check out Honolua bay, maybe I'll have time to do that tomorrow night. Is it hard to get to from Kannapali?

Skimboarder

Nah its probly 15 minutes north of you, turn left out of honua kai onto the highway and keep driving till you pass all the signs for kapalua
    You can see the bay from a distance as you pass thru kapalua, then you drive for about half cmile through rugged cliffs and you'll see the bay and parking in the pineapple field overlooking

You made the right choice biking haleakala in favor of a luau. That's a fun ride, we used to make midnight 20 mile runs from the summit on our skateboards, luge-style, back in the 80's. Cheesy luaus are cheesy

SOMB Veteran

The whole time going down that run I was wondering if I would have the nuts to longboard it. You guys are insane there are some sketchy dropoffs on that road!

Skimboarder

If you think that road is sketchy, you should try going out past Hana to 7 Sacred Pools and drive past them to Kaupo...THAT's sketchy....

Glad you had a good time while you were here.....

Tourist

i want to say that I really appreciate it guys. Now that it's only 4 weeks away I can't contain my excitement. I went to Oahu when I was little, before my surfing/skimming days. Obviously when you start surfing, you quickly realize that Hawaii is a real rest of your abilities, I mean I've done costa but HI is a different story. I'm just really stoked to get to go back to one of the islands.

Tourist

Glad to see the skim crowd there open to visitors. I was supposed to be headed out to Kihei in June but plans had to change, I'll be there in December though. Been there a bunch, and from what I can tell, swell is better in winter, yah?

Skimboarder

Kihei and Makena generally break best during summer, when south swells are prevalent. Winter usually generates north swells.
    But you never know, ive occasionally gotten good skim there during winter.
    You can always surf the north shore or skim kaanapali if there is a north swell while you're here. Good luck!

Thread Information