Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
    Skimboarder

Default Advice on Cabo...going in 2 weeks!

Hey fellas, I'm headed down to Cabo in 2 weeks for the first time. From looking at older threads it seems that:
    1. avoid drinking tap water
    2. wrap at the bottom
    3. go to mermaids
    4. bribe the cops if you get stopped by them
    5. skim lovers and solmar

Any other advice? It also sounds like Solmar shouldn't be skimmed if the waves are huge due to the undertow and rip tides? Will renting a car be economical in any way?

Thanks!

Skimboarder

Depends where you are staying, I didn't rent a car while I was down there. I just took a cab to the bars, but the place I stayed was all inclusive so I had extra money. If you plan on going up the coast to find surf spots or anything, definitely rent a car. As for lovers you can just grab a water taxi (you'll see em, they hang out on the shore) and it's not too much money either. I drank the tap water, but I was drinking booze every night too so I pretty much felt shitty everyday haha. Bars are pretty expensive too, about the same prices as here so expect that. The office is a pretty cool bar in the day and el squid roe is pretty cool at night if you're looking for a young crowd, but those places are pretty touristy too. I suggest talking to the local skimmers, that's what I did and they'll help you out with good places to eat and hang out. I skimmed solmar and lovers everyday, it was a blast. Just don't be stupid and you'll be fine with the cops and everything. It's not like TJ haha
    have a good time man
    Can I KicK It?

king meep

Wrap early or Cabo will eat you.
    "This is for everybody in this city who's had homes that used to be wet," he said after receiving the NFC championship trophy. "This is for the city of New Orleans." -Sean Payton

Skimboarder

where is the best surf spot near sol mar? and wheres the best place to rent a board if any?
    Molly Q

Skimboarder

surfboard tht is, ill already be skimming
    Molly Q

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by JDSkim View Post
    Depends where you are staying, I didn't rent a car while I was down there. I just took a cab to the bars, but the place I stayed was all inclusive so I had extra money. If you plan on going up the coast to find surf spots or anything, definitely rent a car. As for lovers you can just grab a water taxi (you'll see em, they hang out on the shore) and it's not too much money either. I drank the tap water, but I was drinking booze every night too so I pretty much felt shitty everyday haha. Bars are pretty expensive too, about the same prices as here so expect that. The office is a pretty cool bar in the day and el squid roe is pretty cool at night if you're looking for a young crowd, but those places are pretty touristy too. I suggest talking to the local skimmers, that's what I did and they'll help you out with good places to eat and hang out. I skimmed solmar and lovers everyday, it was a blast. Just don't be stupid and you'll be fine with the cops and everything. It's not like TJ haha
    have a good time man
    Thanks for the info! Would you say lovers or solmar is more consistent skim-wise? Cuz I'd rather just walk to solmar to skim, rather than pay for a water taxi to lovers if both beaches have about the same conditions

Skimboarder

was there for 2 weeks may last year and skimmed solmar almost everyday was very consistant, only downside was getting onto the beach! unless u are staying at one of the solmar hotels they wont let u walk easily through their gates for beach access.
    i ended up walking down the side of the finisterra hotel sneaking through thier side gate every day, and security patrols along the beach so just say u staying at one of the hotels (finisterras what i used).
    as for lovers had a lot of ppl swimming in the water but still fun waves!

enjoy man! if u staying at del mar cortez hit up the taco joint down the street..

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by skimmer612 View Post
    Thanks for the info! Would you say lovers or solmar is more consistent skim-wise? Cuz I'd rather just walk to solmar to skim, rather than pay for a water taxi to lovers if both beaches have about the same conditions
    really just depends, they're both really fun. I went to lovers twice, and it was blown out on one of the days. But the day it was going off was ridiculously fun, plus like he said ^ it's usually is going off at either beach. I would say at least try to get a day in at lovers if you're not trying to spend too much on the water taxis, and depending on how long you're staying. If you're going with a couple people the water taxis aren't really too much if you split it.
    Can I KicK It?

Skimboarder

Thanks for the info! Yeah I'm going with a buddy so hopefully water taxi rides don't shack up to too much dough...but I'll definitely be checking out Solmar first. I'm staying at the Wyndham Hotel on the marina so I'm thinking of just walking everywhere since it's pretty centrally located

Thread Information