Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
    Tourist

Default Attempt at Skimboarding/Introductory

Hello to everyone, Last year at the end of summer I bought a skimboard from a local surf shop, thought I would have used it... never did. So now I actually did some research and looking into it, and feel like I should have taken the oppurtunity last year to try it out.

Bought a cheap board, if it has a particular brand name then I sure don't know it (didn't want to spend too much money and hate it). I live only a few miles from the beach and want to find something I can enjoy there besides laying on the beach tanning, or floating in the surf.

Live right outside of Myrtle Beach if anyone is in the area?

Skimboarder

Skimboarding is a similar sport to surfing, except you start on the beach. Surfing is a much easier sport to start riding waves on, some people can start riding in a day or less, skimboarding takes more time, I have been skimming for about a year and I am just getting it down. Basically you run, drop, slide, then turn on a wave and ride it back to shore. Many people on here adore it like I do and I cant wait to get back to the beach and see waves again, It is a great sport to do and if you dont have anything else to do and you already have a board then why the hell not?
    east coast skimboards - sponsor

Skimboarder

Every time i read florida skimmer's posts I always am reminded of my 3rd grade essays,

and Orion321 why don't you go skim?
    UNCW Skim Club President

Skimboarder

Well, because you live pretty close there is no reason not to give it a try... right? If you know how to do any other "-boarding" sport it should be easy to pick up. Try just sliding along the sand and maybe try shuvits and 360s if you get comfortable. If you enjoy doing that, defiantly keep practicing and hit some waves.
    http://www.youtube.com/TlarkArts
    Willing to edit your skim videos! PM for details.

Tourist

Supposed to be in the low 80's this weekend here, can't wait until after work Saturday to get out there and give it a try!

SOMB Veteran

Don't even worry about hitting waves yet, just practice getting on the board without killing yourself......jk
    When learning to get on, go to a beach that is flat to learn, when you start riding waves you want a beach that's steep (because the waves will break close to shore).
    J Gordon Skimboards - Owner

[Remember: your front foot is your gas and back foot is your brake.]
    (speed = float)

Skimboarder

unless it's changed drastically in the past 5 years, myrtle beach is a sandsliding paradise. just watch out for the tourists and high school spring breakers.
    All messed up and slightly twisted.
    Am I sick or am I gifted?

Tourist

Quote Originally Posted by Klaustrophobia View Post
    unless it's changed drastically in the past 5 years, myrtle beach is a sandsliding paradise. just watch out for the tourists and high school spring breakers.
    There are a select FEW places you can get to without being bombarded by the tourists, but you do have to pay a yearly fee to get into these places, guess if it keeps the beaches clean and empty, its worth it.

Thread Information