Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Skimboarder

Question Planning trip to cabo please help!!!

Im planning to go to cabo with the sole purpose of skimboarding. i would be able to go in summer when schools out and was wondering for any advice you guys could give me. like best time to go. good resorts and hotels that are close to a good break and safety, thats a main concern. or any stories you have from trips to mexico for skimming. thanks for hopefully helping me out the last thing i want is to get to mexico and have a dead flat beach

you's a frankenstein

ive been thinking about doing the same thing, i searched and found a lot of good info. it seems like hotel mar de cortez is a good place where a lot of skimmers has stayed and is walkable/skatable distances to beaches like solmar and lovers but you may have to take a water taxi to lovers. and flying out of miami is the cheapest in florida as of now. when do you plan on going?
    Zap Skimboards-Team Rider
    Skim City-Team Rider

[QUOTE=samcollett;1187852]Oh look, Dzan's got something condescending to say again.[/QUOTE]

Skimboarder

im planning to go this summer when school is out. any time in summer though i could plan it. and newb question but is mexico got decent skim everyday or is it hit or miss when you go?

Administrator

mar de cortez is pretty legit and economical. water taxi to lovers. decent walk to solmar.
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner
    United Skim Tour - Director & President

you's a frankenstein

about how long would you say it takes to skate/walk to solmar aaron?
    Skim City-Team Rider

[QUOTE=samcollett;1187852]Oh look, Dzan's got something condescending to say again.[/QUOTE]

candy-ass

i, too, may be going in june. CABO SOMB MEATUP 2012

Skimboarder

what are my chances of landing at cabo on a week of good shorebreak? is it always pretty epic or does it get flat and only get good on occasion?

you's a frankenstein

marco, im going end of may-beggining of june. 2 maybe 2 1/2 weeks
    Skim City-Team Rider

candy-ass

hawt, if i were to go it'd be from june 4th-18th

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by lil chuck View Post
    about how long would you say it takes to skate/walk to solmar aaron?
    probably around 20 min walking leisurely.
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner

you's a frankenstein

thats not too bad
    Skim City-Team Rider

Administrator

Its for sure doable. Just makes wave checks kinda lame... but its fine if you plan to go to the beach and stay at the beach...
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner

king meep

Something to consider with Solmar as well is that some of the hotels won't let you through unless you're staying there, so be careful with that. Mar de Cortez is in a really good spot because it's just kinda central to everything...bars and beaches. A few of us are planning something for the last week of July. Dunno if you guys are set about going early, but if you wanted to wait until a little later in the summer we could work it out.

Michael - from my experience, it seems that there is pretty much always somewhere to skim in Cabo. If it's too big at Lovers/Solmar, you can head back up the corridor and check out some other spots that will be set up better. There are a lot of spots along the bus routes too. Then if it's too small at Lovers/Solmar (never was when we were there), you can head north towards Todos and try to find some spots.
    "This is for everybody in this city who's had homes that used to be wet," he said after receiving the NFC championship trophy. "This is for the city of New Orleans." -Sean Payton

Skimboarder

you'll always find some waves in cabo, might not be huge one day but usually always something to play with. Solmar is more consistant in the summer. Idk if there are cheap hotels close to sol but if not like arron said you can walk. If you stay close to main beach you can just shoot strait to lovers on a water taxi, just bring some pesos!

Administrator

If you have a bigger group check out marina sol. right next to water taxis to lovers and better accomodations on the whole.

but you gotta have like 7 people or something to make it worth it on a 2br.
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner

you's a frankenstein

what about the wyndham? seems a little closer and not too pricey.
    Skim City-Team Rider

Administrator

never stayed there...
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner

Skimboarder

Any experiences with fellow tourists somb(females)?? Im going in the summer as well and am hoping for some end of the year stress relief other than wave riding
    Molly Q

king meep

It's a zoo. They run wild.
    "This is for everybody in this city who's had homes that used to be wet," he said after receiving the NFC championship trophy. "This is for the city of New Orleans." -Sean Payton

I Like Kinky Boyfriends <3*!*~*~

Marina sol is very nice, really gives you the feeling that you are on vacation. The girls are there to get drunk and get some, so you won't have much trouble finding a chick.
    Exile Skimboards - Team Rider

Skimboarder

my parents got a timeshare at pueblo bonito sunset on the pacific side... I stayed there years ago and remeber the pounding shorebreak but the resort strictly prohibited people from going into the water.. I'm almost positive it's right near Solmar, can anyone confirm? It's called Pueblo Bonito Sunset.

Does anyone have any experiences skimming in the "no swim zones" near the main resorts?

Skimboarder

I've stayed at the Hotel Melia several times in the past....although, it's been several years since I've stayed there. There are also owner rentals in Missiones Del Cabo that are pretty reasonable as well.

As for the skim, I've never been there when there was no skim...and I usually went during the summer. There's almost always something to do.

Also, stay away from Club 20/20..it can get expensive. HA!! Enjoy Skid Roe....that's where the girls will be...
    "Sex at age 90 is like trying to shoot pool with a rope." - George Burns

king meep

Stay away from the Zoo too. That place has these things called fireshots. Tourist girls really like them, and they cost more than any other shot I've ever had the displeasure of buying. It's a fun bar, but it gets expensive as hell.

Cam - Solmar and Pedregal have water guards. If you speak Spanish and can explain to the water guards that whatever you're doing is vitally important to the stability of Mexico's future, then you should be fine. Seriously though hah it's not that big of a deal. Throw them 10 bucks or just tell them that you're a professional from America and you're filming a great video and they should let you be. When I was there, we were only told to leave one time and we talked the guy out of it.

Skimboarder

how about the whole safety aspect?? is it sketchy or a pretty good area around lovers, solmar, todos. (maybe i should brush up on my spanish to )

Skimboarder

all the carnage is mostly up north
    I would aspire to be me if I wasn't already

king meep

Skimboarder

^ That is effen hilarious!!!!

Seriously, most of Cabo is pretty safe....I will say this, I did have a friend get robbed by knife point down there but he was also an idiot....he was drunk, I mean stumbling, left shoulder forward walking drunk (the kind where you walk with your left shoulder pointing forward), and he was falling down in back alley's where he shouldn't have been. So they decided that his wallet must have been the thing that was keeping him from walking straight so they tried to help him out by relieving him of it.

I've been down there between 10-12 times and have never had an issue with not being/feeling safe.
    "Sex at age 90 is like trying to shoot pool with a rope." - George Burns

king meep

I never felt unsafe when we were there. We saw this girl try to steal something from a street vendor, and she was swarmed by like 8 MP guys with automatic rifles in about 5 seconds. They ride around in the backs of flatbed trucks. As long as you don't act like an idiot (like mauipike said), you'll be fine. It's no different than any other city.

Skimboarder

yes, a chart marking off all the zones where people are being murdered is hilarious.
    I would aspire to be me if I wasn't already

Skimboarder

Yeah ive been to Cabo a few times and felt very safe. How safe is Melaque?

Skimboarder

Being a florida native ive never skimmed anything but that so this should be interesting haha. i hear the waters rip currents and what not can be pretty crazy strong too

Skimboarder

Anybody going between April 13-22?

Skimboarder

HEADS UP!!

expedia is having a sale for the Wyndham hotel in Cabo until 9pm PST where they're slashing prices MORE than 50 percent off for whatever dates! it looks like the wyndham is centrally located within walking distance between the bars and solmar as well

book yo trip! http://www.expedia.com/daily/deals/v...?pmicid=286878

you's a frankenstein

san angel suites is a little bit closer to solmar than wyndham and the rooms look bigger/nicer and they have a full kitchen for $65 a night. The wyndham had some sketchy reviews and i guess they make you wear wrist bands to show that your staying there and you cant bring other firends or people to your room after 6pm. They only have 12 rooms i think so if you check it out and like it, u better get on it and book ur room before its gone. i just booked mine yesterday! giggidty
    Skim City-Team Rider

Skimboarder

Check bookit.com and search cabo. they list all the hotels in the area.
    Check Solmar Suites all-inclusive deal, includes all the alcohol and food you can consume and also transportation to the hotel from the airport. Pretty sweet deal if you dont wanna cook or buy food. Over looks solmar beach and its a 15min hike to lovers.

Thread Information