Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SOMB Veteran

Jim, click settings on the top right

Skimboarder

I don't know if it just me and it probably just needs some getting used to but it find it less attractive than the last one and less addictive.... and now that I think about it I cant remember the last one...

Skimboarder

I liked the old one better, just more comfortable with it I'm sure. Its gonna take getting used to but I find everything on the new layout to be bigger and more bubble like.

I like simple things though.

Haven't encountered a problem yet.
    You've got that nasty bounce.
    Miami, FL

Skimboarder

still getting the feel for it.....
    ><> ><>

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Peluso View Post
    1. No, the old template doesnt work with the new software. Most of the changes are the new software, not the new template. The new template is in fact the new version of the old template.
    2. Mail icons need some work. I agree...
    3. I will look into this. I havent had that problem though and dont know of such a setting.
    Penguin, did you click 'remember me' when you logged in? I think that should solve the problem. Otherwise I think you have 900 seconds per session. I cant really change that without screwing up the whos online thing....
    Sometimes I say remember me, sometimes I don't. The auto-log off seems to occur regardless though. Also, this auto logoff thing I'm seeing occurs in less than 900 secs/15min.

Also see you have fixed number 2 already. One other suggestion relating to it may be the vast amount of white space that occupies each post if the post is short although I don't think there is a work around for this since the avatar, posts, etc on the left is a fixed size.

Quote Originally Posted by brett00 View Post
    I have a bookmark set up for the forum home. When I first arrive to the page I'm not logged in, but after clicking on a Section or thread I'm magically logged in. I tried a new bookmark and cleared cache and still same bug. Oh well not a big deal just something I noticed.
    This happened for me on the old site as well but I didn't have a bookmark. I would be logged in and out as I clicked on different pages throughout the forums or stuff like messages, user cp, etc. Will see if it happens on the new site.

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by SkimNate View Post
    I don't like the look. The other one seemed less fruity and was less of a strain on the eyeballs. its really whatever though
    Also this, the other one was less straining on the eyeballs.

All of my suggestions are minor things for me though.

Talking dirty to food

I prefer darker ones as well, but I'll just turn down the monitor brightness I guess.
    I'm so adjective, I verb nouns!

Skimboarder

we can say frack now, why the change of heart Aaron?
    Made you look

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji View Post
    we can say frack now, why the change of heart Aaron?
    it says frack on my screen...
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner
    United Skim Tour - Director & President

Skim Junkie

frack or frack?
    edit: it's frack, as in the gas drilling process
    Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass

Skimboarder

I'm not sure if this is my phone (Galaxy Nexus), but ever since the upgrade I can't access the forums from the Tapatalk app. I'm not sure if you know anything about this Aaron, or if you use that app. I know ZBR and samcollett use it but haven't heard anything from anyone else yet. The bright side is that the threads are now auto-fitted through the mobile browser so it's not a pain like it used to be to use the browser with the forums. Tapatalk seems to run a little quicker and has an easier interface for mobile browsing. Here's a screen shot from right after it tries to load the forum via Tapatalk:

Edit: Did a google and an Android support person said to try a reinstall (like every tech support first suggestion) but that didn't help.

Also some more general input:
    Positive
    1-I just noticed the auto-save feature when posting replies. Great addition.
    2-I don't know if this was always there but I just noticed it as well: the re-sizing feature for the reply box is really convenient.
    3-I like the layout of the Rep/Infraction/Report/Reply/Quote bar underneath each post. It consolidates things very well and flows better than before.

Negative (mostly layout/aesthetics):
    4-Is the allowable avatar size bigger than before? They seem small compared to the left-hand-side user section.
    5-Along the same lines as 4, is it possible to center avatar and rep bar? I feel like it might look a little smoother.
    6-I liked the "Last Page" click-able URL option more than the literal last page number for multi-page threads (see Steve's picture for reference).
    7-There seems to be a lot of white space under people's posts before the signatures.

8-(From picture above) I'm not a huge fan of the blue bar at the top and bottom of the page. I know it matches the SKIMONLINE logo color, but I'm a big fan of the black/grey/white color scheme and the blue somewhat clashes. The blue SKIMONLINE logo is more prominent with a pure black/grey/white color scheme as well (neglecting click-able URLs).
    9-(From picture above) Is it possible to make the forum directory bar (Forum/All Forums/Site Discussion/ Forum Software Upgrade for this location) more pronounced?
    10-(From picture above) Is that a tan hue between the black New Posts/Private Messages/FAQ/Calendar/Community/Forum Actions/Quick Links bar and the grey forum directory bar? It could just be me as it's been a long week, but the hue seems out of place.

The negatives are just some things I noticed. None of them are too important, just my opinions with some feedback. Thanks for taking the time to keep up with this stuff.
    Last edited by drewC.; 02-29-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    University of Florida '12

Skimboarder

woh! for all of yesterday I saw the f word instead of frack. if i'm not mistaken someone saw the same thing.
    Made you look

Skimboarder

citation: "The thread" p. 1055

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskim View Post
    Can we say frack again now?

Edit: yay we can!
    yea it wasn't just me.
    Made you look

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Luff View Post
    When searching, is there still a way to have the results come up as individual posts instead of threads?
    If you select the 'Search Single Content Type' tab on the Advanced Search page, you can display the results as posts.
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji View Post
    woh! for all of yesterday I saw the f word instead of frack. if i'm not mistaken someone saw the same thing.
    lets do a test.

1. frack
    2. frack

I didnt type the same word twice if you get my meaning. I presume everyone sees the same word twice?
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner

Skimboarder

We didnt at first, maybe that function hadnt come into effect yet?. Also how do i find my user cp?

Skimboarder

lets do a test.

1. frack
    2. frack

I didnt type the same word twice if you get my meaning. I presume everyone sees the same word twice?
    Of course we do now AP, but there was a point 2 days ago where the filter was not working... it was only temporary and only applied to words that were posted within the time window.

Ilovetoskim obviously saw it too, but when it kicked back in, it proceeded to change the f word back to frack.\

edit - ^^chev had the same experience.
    Made you look

Skimboarder

oh and Chev, go to settings.
    Made you look

Skimboarder

am I the only one that types out the word frack now as opposed to letting the filter switch it for me?

Administrator

Not sure exactly but probably something to do with the quick reply, then edited on reload.
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner

Skimboarder

there is an invalid redirect link for me after i log in. usually it would redirect me to the forum home page, but now it takes me to a page that just says "invalid redirect link" etc.
    CJ Photography - Freelance Photography
    PM me for Photoshoot Details

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by drewC. View Post
    I'm not sure if this is my phone (Galaxy Nexus), but ever since the upgrade I can't access the forums from the Tapatalk app. I'm not sure if you know anything about this Aaron, or if you use that app. I know ZBR and samcollett use it but haven't heard anything from anyone else yet. The bright side is that the threads are now auto-fitted through the mobile browser so it's not a pain like it used to be to use the browser with the forums. Tapatalk seems to run a little quicker and has an easier interface for mobile browsing. Here's a screen shot from right after it tries to load the forum via Tapatalk:

Tapatalk should be working again. Let me know if you have more problems with it.

Glad you like my picture
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner

Skimboarder

Yep all fixed, thanks!

And yeah, I was wondering if you'd pick up on that haha. That's been my phone background for a year+ now. I have yet to find a wave picture with such a clean background as that one
    University of Florida '12

Senior Members

an iphone app would be great! i'm tired of this stupid Taptalk popup every time I go on SOMB on safari

somb sucks

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but we're only allowed to embed one video per post now? It definitely wasn't like that before the switch, maybe up the limit a bit?
    watch the moving bodies as they react to the sound

Skimboarder

if this is true i agree.
    Made you look

Skimboarder
    Made you look

Thread Information