Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.

View Poll Results: How would your rank your skimming skills?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll

6 4.65%

2 1.55%

8 6.20%

14 10.85%

28 21.71%

37 28.68%

21 16.28%

5 3.88%

0 0%

8 6.20%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pro Youtuber

Default Rank Your Personal Skimming Abilities

This is kind of a 2 part poll and is DEFINITELY not meant to discourage anyone from skimming. If anything this is just a personal assessment of where you feel you are in skimming and then (the 2nd part) ideally where you want to be or realistically think you'll end up.

Here's my generic rating scale just for reference. The descriptions probably won't apply 100% and are just for fun. But you'll get the gist.

1- beginner, just started, learning to drop, balance, stance. Have a beginner board and may skim alone. You are probably pretty rashed up & scratched like we all were and contemplate quitting. DON'T!

2- Still beginner but you stuck with it and can get on the board with a little more consistency. bails are still frequent. Still prob skim alone or with a friend. Still could give it up at this point. AGAIN DON'T!

3- Improving, drop & stance are steadying. Feeling more confident. Maybe have tried riding a wave or a flatland trick or two. bailing less. Wounds healing. Meeting people and maybe venturing to newer more populated spots. No turning back now. You want that first ride

4- Got your first wrap/ride or nailed your first trick! You are infected with the skim virus. Constantly talking about skimming. Missing work or family events to skim. Maybe had your first wet dream about a wave/trick. Leaning more about the skim world (spots, pros, etc).

5- Intermediate status. Feeling real comfortable and not as concerned with weather conditions (ex. wind). Working on wave balance, planes and tightening up overall skills. Might have tried a different drop (ex. 2 step to 1 step). Running faster, skimming more often & generally shifting your life to skim. Probably bought a sticker, movie, etc; attended a comp or maybe upgraded your board

6- Rarely bailing. Days range from consistent and fun to complete rip fests (trying anything and everything). May be able to ride switch. Invested heavily in skim at this point. Not afraid to hit any spot. May have entered or considered entering a contest or two. Learning new tricks regularly or just attacking your wraps & lines (or ramps/rails for the flatlanders). Perhaps planning your first trip. Using other methods to stay active when you can't skim (indo, surf, skate, longboard). Obsessed with becoming better ...or..this is where you made it to and have plateaued as a skimmer (maybe life, work, etc got in the way).

7 - With a concrete riding foundation and bag of tricks you are mow focused on tweaking minor things about your skimming to become fully versatile (ex. out/in wave reentries, more switch, etc). Going after bigger & better waves (or ramps/rails). May have been offered local amateur sponsorship. Travel whenever possible and encourage others to skim or are well known (unless you go lone wolf). May have been featured on a video. Getting involved in other aspects of the skim community from skim camps, working with companies or at contests,etc.

8- Amateur/Pro sponsorship (or at least should be). Entering contests often. May be on the UST and placed fair in contest (placed high in a few). Own the board you want. New tricks, airs and wave variations come with ease now and don't need to be practiced as much. Your skills landed you in a video. Skimming is life. Progression is natural at this point and you are elevating beyond everything previously listed. Some people stop at this point too. By stop I mean, don't need to (or can't) go to the next levels and are pleased with their accomplishment(s). While you could take off for years at a time. You will always skim. It's in you

9- You pushed for more. You are determined to be the best skimmer. You skim daily or as much as possible. When you aren't skimming you are focused on perfecting your skills. You are a Pro, on the UST, multiple sponsors, won purses and have been on a few videos or DVD. Place in almost every contest entered.

10- You are insanely good. You have placed in the top 5 at UST contests or maybe high at the Vic Worlds/Cabo. You may have your own board or merch. You have reached the high point of your skimming and will only help all skimmers around you or coming into the sport, to progress, by setting the example. There is not much more to accomplish at this point except for new tricks, 1st place contest placement, etc.
    SOMB's Brett Favre

brooklyn

hate it or love it the underdogs on top
    And I'm gonna shine homie until my heart stop
    damn infractions

Pro Youtuber

call me stupid but I had/have no idea who Anton, GnarKill1029 & SoFlo SKIM really are. You guys are pros?

edit: i think I know Anton as the owner of syndrome or something right?
    SOMB's Brett Favre

Skim Junkie

seems like there's a big leap between 5 and 6 compared to the rest
    Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass

Skimboarder

Sorry Thrillhouse, it was a joke. I thought it'd be funny if everyone on this forum voted 10, as I suspected would happen.

Actually though, now that I reread the definition, I have reached the high point in my skimming, have my own board, and there is nothing else left to accomplish, so yes...10.

Only thing left for me now is to move back to Maryland, by the end of the month.
    Syndrome Skimboards - Owner

Title

im in between 5-6

Skimboarder

yeah from 5 to 6 there is a large gap.
    6 is what i rank myself though
    oh and i'd like to end up at about 8 within a year or 2. being a very skilled amateur/border line pro would be nice
    Last edited by lucasskim; 08-10-2011 at 03:56 PM.
    it's not the board, it's the rider

Skimboarder

I am 5.5 so i rounded to 6
    No, it's definitely the board.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Gave myself a 7. Might be a little high, idk. That's based on what I feel confident that i could do in decent waves, which we don't get all that often so it's hard to prove (to myself and others) that I'm as good as I think I am. I don't do a lot of tech other than airs but I'd like to think I've got style, from being a surfer. 20 years of experience means I can usually hold my own in a group of other dudes. But I do absolutely horrible whenever I enter a contest

edit: actually I didn't read 6. Hard to tell if I'd rank a 6 or a 7. Since I don't have much interest in tech, I don't do much tech, but I feel like I could learn some decent tech if I felt like it. I focus more on wave riding and airs (not out the back)

The Asian

5. Guess Ill never be a 6 since I will never be able to ride switch

br00tal m3t4l d00d

4. I suck and will never get better. lol. Those who have skimmed with me know.

Not the Father

you can do a widdly and didnt check 10?
    hows my posting?
    Let me know 954 - 805-6715

Skimboarder

If I didn't break my leg last August I would be a 7. Couldn't skim from August -> mid June

Skimboarder

7 ?

now don't rape my backside

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Derik Kent View Post
    rabid spider on the loose

king meep

I'm between 6 and 7. I put 6.
    "This is for everybody in this city who's had homes that used to be wet," he said after receiving the NFC championship trophy. "This is for the city of New Orleans." -Sean Payton

Veteran of SOMB War

Between 4 and 5 haha. Today was a mess. One ride in 3 hours. Decent waves. I'm not versatile at all. Need low winds and sand drops. Swear I have a west coast soul but dont we all?

hermit crab

i feel a 6 doesn't do me justice but a 7 is pushing it .

i only really fall when i seriously frack up or try throwing something while wrapping/ going down the line. i can do 180 shoves out to wraps as well as during rides/ dtl .

i can plane out pretty durn far and have some good steeze / been to obx/ californee way florida etc .

ideal rating . 6.67
    naggers gonna nag -gandhi mahatma

Title

consistency is what kills me. i am so inconsistent its rediculous

Skimboarder

This scale assumes that to be a great skimmer one must compete and be sponsored. Sorry, but some of the best skimmers(and surfers) are underground and don't need contest results or free stickers to feel good. They don't even need to skim with people. Maui has plenty guys that blow doors but don't come near competitions because they are soul skimmers, as lame as it may sound. I bet Laguna has major underground rippers too.
    Dole Pineapples - Team Rider

Veteran of SOMB War

Sounds like someone is sad they didnt get sponsored. Our society measures greatness in disciplined competitions. Want to be great? Come to a competition. Dont be that guy who "coulda got into da NBA but I hadda take kere mah mamma"

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by zeus View Post
    consistency is what kills me. i am so inconsistent its rediculous
    I know whatcha mean, one day you are feeling great and everything is silky smooth then the next day your riding like a goomba

Skimboarder

I had to put 10 'cause I didn't see an "11". weak.

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Derik Kent View Post
    I only went 7 because I've been sticking widdlys
    What's a Widdly?

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post
    ...(the 2nd part) ideally where you want to be or realistically think you'll end up.
    didn't see that.

Ending up with:

• Consistent 360 shuv wakeskimming

180 shuv riding switch

Bigspin?

Kickflip if I get behind bigger boats more often and it'll take much longer to accomplish

Wrap some waves if I get over to the east or west coast

Starting a Skimcamp with possibly a sponsor.

The Yeti

I'd say I'm a 5, I guess. I can hold my own, I know how to get out to waves and wrap, but I'm not 'obsessed' with skimming and certainly not that great by any means. Going on 27 this month and skimming is just something I love to do. I have no problem with being mediocre and no intentions of really getting much better minus the core riding aspect. I skate the mini ramp and long board from time to time just to be on a board.. As long as I can go out, have fun, catch some waves I'm good. Every now and then I frack around and try to throw an air or shuv, but I don't commit myself to learning any sort of tech...I just like to ride. I do compete in the local contests just for kicks, but it's more just for fun and supporting the sport/shops when I can.
    Team Wookie
    Live every week...like it's shark week.

Skimboarder

Very solid 5 but would like to hit a 7 skill-wise within a couple of years, though I'm not getting any younger (30 now).
    Sea off the west coast of Italy is my biggest hindrance (damn you Sardinia & Corsica!). It sucks 90% of the time, gotta get up north more often. I just board to get some R&R, give the local kids some pointers if they ask, but sponsorship is of no interest to me.

SOMB PL

5-6 status

Skimboarder

voted 6.
    def 6-7 but I only have 2 (local) contest placings.
    one in 1988 and another this year! (thats 23 years for those math challenged like me, had to count that out on my fingers)
    *No tech tho, no switchfoot etc. just lips, floaters, small kine frontside airs, wraps & barrels. thats my stuff
    And only pics I have etc. are on my prof. page, living here not much going on media wise for me except the occasional tag-along photographer wife, who takes glorious pictures "hi, honey!!". there's some pretty sick youtube Makena vids but I never made any of em - grrrr- & that nice spread in FSM that Quincy shot of Kegan Conway, and there's other guys shooting stuff, I'm just talking Makena,- Oahu, Kauai etc. got their own rippers & camera guys too) most everyone's too busy skimming, surfing, working. maybe it's time I got a camera....it's rad the eastcoast is just waking up... it's midnight here, and I'm mad..MAD!!!! (Oh, you MAD)

I find something in a lot of different numbers between 4 & - daresay 10? still apply to me. Whatever am I to do?! j/k
    I approve of this poll (*don't try it, "pole" fixers haha beat you to the punch). Sorry for the million edits hope I didn't break some internet law and get banished or whatever
    Thank you, good night and God bless us all....

Edit #236; 6 am HST: whew, pot hangover...anyway forgot to answer second part last night, I plan on taking the UST next year...yeah right.
    Last edited by Rusty; 08-11-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by megadeth View Post
    4. I suck and will never get better. lol. Those who have skimmed with me know.
    you're underestimating yourself man!

Skimboarder

5. I don't skim As much as I would like to, being from a landlocked state, but I've still acquired a decent amount of skill over the past few years. It would be sweet to be at a 7 or higher at some point but I don't see that happening without more time to practice

Skimboarder

i think i m a 5
    Exile Skimboards Portugal - Representative
    Club Skim Norte

br00tal m3t4l d00d

Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
    you're underestimating yourself man!
    I'm just super inconsistent. One day I'll be able to hold my own and the next I can't even get on the board. lol

speaking of which, we need to all go skimming again.

Skimboarder

I'd say on one of my better days i'm a solid 6. if i still lived at the beach i'd be an easy 7 on any day. but i've gotten a lot more inconsistent not being out all the time. and i feel like a lot of people rated themselves much higher than they should be. good to be confident i guess!
    Aaron Kaplan

br00tal m3t4l d00d

you're 100 to me.

Thread Information