Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
    SOMB PL

Default What say you SOMB...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...hot-video.html

Police in Seattle, Wash., have released video footage from a deadly encounter last August when an officer shot a man originally from Vancouver Island.

John Williams was shot by an officer on a Seattle street last August.
    Wood carver John Williams was crossing a street when a police officer spotted him carrying a knife and a piece of wood.

Seattle police say Officer Ian Birk, 27, thought Williams was a threat.

Investigators say Williams had turned to face the officer but would not say if he had made any sort of move toward him.

Williams, 50, had been living in Seattle for 18 years, working as a carver at the Pike Place Market in the city's downtown tourist district, when he was shot Aug. 30.

He died after the officer shot him four times in the chest.

Audio recordings from the patrol car indicate Williams failed to comply with repeated orders to put down his knife, Seattle police said. A local art dealer said Williams was deaf in one ear and likely did not hear the officer.

Birk's lawyer did not agree with the release of the video, but King County District Court Judge Arthur Chapman ruled on Thursday that the footage should be released Friday.

Birk was recently asked to turn in his badge and his gun.

An inquest into the shooting is scheduled for January.

Skim Junkie

too many trigger happy police these days
    Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass

SOMB PL

needs to be charged with murder for sure. so fracked up.

Veteran of SOMB War

I'm a firm believer that a quick mexi can eff you up just as fast with a knife

That being said, if Williams made no threatening gestures, Birk is going to have a hard time justifying why he shot...four times if once.

brooklyn

fracking scumbag man. murder mos def.
    damn infractions

SOMB Veteran

should be charged with murder. thats ridiculous. there was like a 4 second gap between him asking him to drop the knife and firing four fracking shots.
    nfarino117: Do you just use a paint pen on top of the front of your board? Or do you have to take it apart?
    Let Fire Fall:haha today at moes i was rolling up this guys burrito

Skimboarder

He asked a hobo to "drop the knife" three times within 8 seconds. If that doesn't justify four bullets to the chest, then I don't know what does.

SOMB PL

seriously?

Skimboarder

what is the attack range of a knife?
    Couldnt the officer told the man to drop the knife from a safe distance?

this is just retarded.
    the hobo goes rawr

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by hobo View Post
    what is the attack range of a knife?
    Couldnt the officer told the man to drop the knife from a safe distance?

this is just retarded.
    broseph had combat pro

SOMB PL

less than lethal force? how about a fracking tazer?

Veteran of SOMB War

Not all departments are issued them but you are right with less-lethal force like a pepper spray. Copper had a vengence with this guy.

Skimboarder

put yourself in the officers shoes for a min. he had no idea if the man was armed with something other than a knife. the report also said after the officer requested to drop the weapon he started walking towards him. also who rolls around with a carving blade through town? although the interval from when he asked the guy to drop the knife and when he opened fire seemed very short, I dont believe the officer was completely in the wrong on this occasion.

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by fireball View Post
    put yourself in the officers shoes for a min. he had no idea if the man was armed with something other than a knife. the report also said after the officer requested to drop the weapon he started walking towards him. also who rolls around with a carving blade through town? although the interval from when he asked the guy to drop the knife and when he opened fire seemed very short, I dont believe the officer was completely in the wrong on this occasion.
    have you ever been to a big city? (not trying to be a dick) but a homeless man walking around minding his own business, carving a piece of wood is not really something out of the ordinary. ?

Cop was on his high horse. Deserves a murder sentence.
    InlandSkimMovement - Co-Owner, Web, Videos, Events

Skimboarder

do Seattle cops not have tasers like Floridians do? unless the old man charged at him, theres no way he should have shot at him that fast
    Made you look

Veteran of SOMB War

Unfortunately, he can draw down on pretty much anything but can't fire until he is drawn on. If the department has any other policy, they've opened themselves up for serious litigation. Unless Williams reached in his pocket,jacket, around his back (which will hopefully show up on the video when it's released), it's going to be a hard justification.

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kniveton View Post
    have you ever been to a big city? (not trying to be a dick) but a homeless man walking around minding his own business, carving a piece of wood is not really something out of the ordinary. ?

Cop was on his high horse. Deserves a murder sentence.
    been to big cities on numerous occasions and have yet to see a homeless character rolling around with a blade and a piece of wood

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by RUM_RUNNER View Post
    Unfortunately, he can draw down on pretty much anything but can't fire until he is drawn on. If the department has any other policy, they've opened themselves up for serious litigation. Unless Williams reached in his pocket,jacket, around his back (which will hopefully show up on the video when it's released), it's going to be a hard justification.
    I know exactly what your saying. If we could have seen the events play out we could all make a better assumptions on the case but we dont know if the subject was digging in his pockets acting like he was going to draw on the officer

Veteran of SOMB War

I get you. It's good to have different viewpoints

Meow

i feel like it could have justified, but the time it took for him to walk over and shoot four times was wayyyy too short. he should have asked a few more times, then drawn while continuing to ask, and as a last resort, fire. Shooting should be a last resort, not a quick first action. But because we were not in the situation, we cant know. Didnt see any eye-witness reports, but unless there are some, its hard to see who is right.
    If you and I were Squirrels, I'd store my nuts in your hole

Skimboarder

he was asking for it.....

how do i change my signature?

Skimboarder

as the article says, a pikes place fish market employee, who may have been deaf in one ear...
    If there is something hipster about unironically defending the validity of discussing Justin Bieber, then I clearly do not know what "hipster" means anymore.

Skimboarder

yea i read it. but still, put it in a bag maybe? blatantly carrying around a knife of any type would be fishy to me

Skimboarder

Are police taught to take 4 shots to the chest? I'm not taking any position on this, just curious.
    University of Florida '12

Veteran of SOMB War

Typically they fire 2 shots like you and I would fire one shot. So for the officer, this would have felt more like 2 shots. And they are taught to shoot at center mass and shoot to kill.

Skimboarder

Ahh ok that makes sense
    University of Florida '12

SOMB PL

yea little 9mm round have no knock down power, so what you do is called a double tap. the idea is that our bodies are 90% water and firing one round causes a sonic wave to ripple the water molecules while the second round in the same area (center-mass) will cause a double shock wave. this stuns the target and will in theory "knock" them down.

this story is still bullshit. did the officer not have a baton? pepper spray? a tazer? how many seconds went by before he fired? there was absolutely no escalation of force, he just opened fire and dropped the dude.

Skimboarder

I almost always give the officer the benefit of the doubt in these situations but this one is an exception.
    formerly sdstateskim

Skimboarder

but...
    of course its off camera and who really knows what happens..
    i thought maybe someone had reported a crazy hobo running around waving a knife
    that would be the only reason why I think the cop would have freaked out and popped the dude
    but it says in the report that the cop just spotted him carrying a knife.. frack the poooolice

Mine's BIGGER than yours

Most departments will consider a person with a knife a DEADLY THREAT if they are between 21' and 30'. According to the experts (and I've seen video to prove this, but can't find the video now), if a person at that distance were to charge at an officer, the person with the knife has the ability to kill the officer before he can ever fire a shot. I believe in the video though, the officer did not have his gun already un-holstered though. But still, just because you see it as gun vs knife, does not always mean that gun wins. This isn't rock, paper, scissors...
    When Obama took office, you were only paying $1.95 per gallon of gas...

SOMB Veteran

while i think maybe he could have tried something else before firing 4 shots, you gotta put yourself in his shoes. He probably had a wife and kids probably and would like to return home to them.
    Matt

Teacher: Jonah cap off and balls on the ground... Jonah what are you doing?

Jonah: You said to put my balls on the ground miss...

Skim Junkie

there's defending yourself and precaution, and then there's flat out aggression
    Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Haha I was totally like "frack this cop" till I saw a pic of the dude

Thread Information