Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
Page 11 of 186 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    The Enforcer

The benefit of the shrug is to isolate the traps which cant be done with any other motion. Trying to do a body wieght shrug really defeats the purpose. I admire your creativity but dont know if it is beneficial with this movement, zbra.
    Purple Snakes

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

yeah it was definitely awkward when I tried it just now. I think if i could get stable though, i could crank out a full set. I mean, you're still doing shrugs just the same as you would if you were using a bar w/ your body weight. Of course, to really get big traps you'd be using a lot more than your body weight. Guess you could wear a vest or something...

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Perfection View Post
    I would LOVE to do some ring work...my gym doesn't have any though

Maybe something I could build though
    you're in luck

http://skimonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13907

Look at the date on that thread, they're still in great shape. Also, anybody looking for bodyweight exercise ideas, just read through some of that thread, looks like I basically did a brain dump of everything I was doing at the time.

oh by the way if anybody's interested that's 3/4" pvc wrapped in tin foil, baked at 350 for about 9 minutes, then string a rope through and wrap around a paint can (slowly so you don't get kinks). Then hold tight for like 4 or 5 mins till it cools.
    Last edited by ZapBulletRider; 03-03-2010 at 01:27 PM.

The Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by ZapBulletRider View Post
    yeah it was definitely awkward when I tried it just now. I think if i could get stable though, i could crank out a full set. I mean, you're still doing shrugs just the same as you would if you were using a bar w/ your body weight. Of course, to really get big traps you'd be using a lot more than your body weight. Guess you could wear a vest or something...
    or you could just do shrugs.....
    Purple Snakes

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

yeah but where's the fun in that?

I've always hated shrugs. I think it's the fact that they involve such a small ROM that it annoys me. Like i feel like i should be moving more.

The Enforcer

I just meant as far as strain. I'm paranoid about getting shoulder injuries because it's such a crucial joint. You almost can't do any upper body work witha strained or injured shoulder. I enjoy core workouts but my emphasis is on bodybuilding. I like the idea of bodyweight workouts when it comes to shrugs etc. Not too much else though besides planks etc.. the type of shrugs I do equals my bodyweight. I use heavy dumbells with straps and do front, behind the back and finish with sets of a circular motion to fully engage all areas of the muscle and even the rhomboids too. Doing a hanging shrug also hits the biceps pretty hard with a iso strain and I do biceps and back on a seperate day even though the rhomboids are involved in shrugs.
    Circular motion or rotation in shrugs is counter productive.
    Purple Snakes

The Enforcer

yeah but where's the fun in that?

I've always hated shrugs. I think it's the fact that they involve such a small ROM that it annoys me. Like i feel like i should be moving more.
    That is funny. I love them because it is such a simple pure movement. Nothing hits traps like they do.
    Purple Snakes

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

I think my favorite exercise with weight is the clean& press. You're taking weight off the ground and putting it as high as you can put it, and it works everything. And when you use good squat form your back isn't strained and you just feel your thighs exploding, I love that feeling. And doing those w/ breathing ladders is the best, afterwards you feel like you literally do not have anything left in you. That's the exercise that will pull me back into the gym here soon. I haven't been in to lift a weight since probably early Dec. Now it's just kind of a test to see how far I can go w/out weights.

Skim Junkie

i wish i had a bar to do pullups everyday
    Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass

Know It All

Quote Originally Posted by Mapdash View Post
    Circular motion or rotation in shrugs is counter productive.
    Mmmm..How so? Doing shrugs in front/sides works puts emphasis on the front of them. While behind the back hits the rear and rhomboids more. It's like saying that doing hammer curls and bicep curls are counter productive. There are different heads to the muscle that need work to get good overall development. Or like chest for instance. Flat is good for overall. But to get good overall development you need to do incline and decline as well.
    Southern California - A sunny place for shady people.
    'alot' is not a word.

Know It All

Quote Originally Posted by RexSkimmer View Post
    = overtraining and very counterproductive
    'alot' is not a word.

Your bad at grammar.

20 bucks at walmart goes a long way...
    ForeverSkim - Editor/Owner/Art Director/Etc
    20/30north Studios - Print/Web/Motion

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

look around you, there are pullup bars everywhere. Tree branches, jutting out door frames, and probably the easiest - any stair set that you can grab a stair from underneath.

The Enforcer

Mmmm..How so? Doing shrugs in front/sides works puts emphasis on the front of them. While behind the back hits the rear and rhomboids more. It's like saying that doing hammer curls and bicep curls are counter productive. There are different heads to the muscle that need work to get good overall development. Or like chest for instance. Flat is good for overall. But to get good overall development you need to do incline and decline as well.

mmmm.....because gravity pulls down.

Rotating your shoulders adds front to back movement.
    Purple Snakes

The Enforcer

I dont have time to get into it but this is kinesiology 101.

Here:

Shoulder Shrugs Errors (shoulder rolls)
    Rolling (horizontal movement) is nonsensical
    Weight moves perpendicular to gravity
    In an upright posture, the upper traps and middle traps resist weights against gravity (downward force) as they elevate the scapula
    see correct form
    Although it is true the middle and lower trapezius can also retract the scapula on a continuum of planes
    they resist such a load retracting against a resistance on a transverse plane during general back exercises
    or by upward rotation on a frontal plane during shoulder exercises
    Bottom line: It's only necessary to raise and lower the shoulders during shrugs. The lower and middle trapezius will be exercised during other basic exercises

Now you will tell me that 'circular movement' didnt mean rotation....right?
    Purple Snakes

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

this is new info to me... but as I don't do shrugs unless I'm in a pure lifting phase, they're not exercises I do often.

Know It All

Yeah...I see what your saying but because "gravity pulls down" is a horrible argument on why you shouldn't do different variations to work a muscle group. Gravity pulls down when doing pull ups but doing overhand and underhand works your back with great benefits
    'alot' is not a word.

The Enforcer

Yeah...I see what your saying but because "gravity pulls down" is a horrible argument on why you shouldn't do different variations to work a muscle group. Gravity pulls down when doing pull ups but doing overhand and underhand works your back with great benefits
    haha. Go back and read. I was talking specifically about shrugs. I never mentioned other exercises. you did.
    Purple Snakes

Know It All

let me clarify...I'd almost have to show you. When I reach the top of the shrug, I shift my shoulders back a bit and lower the weight. it's not like I am really doing a circular motion. And it is just finishing sets to give all areas a final blow
    'alot' is not a word.

Know It All

Do it with your arms right now. straight armed, raise traps up then shift shoulders back (feel the different muscle engagement?) It hit your rhomboids on the way back down essentrically (the best way to acheive hypertrophy). It's a great compound excersize to finish with
    'alot' is not a word.

Know It All

Whether or not you're focusing on the traps alone. You are using your rhomboids (ball like muscles below the back of your neck) as a secondary muscle group when doing shrugs. Like when doing pull ups or ANY back exersice, you are using your biceps
    'alot' is not a word.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

shoulder roll.

Know It All

Quote Originally Posted by Mapdash View Post
    I dont have time to get into it but this is kinesiology 101.

Here:

Shoulder Shrugs Errors (shoulder rolls)
    Rolling (horizontal movement) is nonsensical
    Weight moves perpendicular to gravity
    In an upright posture, the upper traps and middle traps resist weights against gravity (downward force) as they elevate the scapula
    see correct form
    Although it is true the middle and lower trapezius can also retract the scapula on a continuum of planes
    they resist such a load retracting against a resistance on a transverse plane during general back exercises
    or by upward rotation on a frontal plane during shoulder exercises
    Bottom line: It's only necessary to raise and lower the shoulders during shrugs. The lower and middle trapezius will be exercised during other basic exercises

Now you will tell me that 'circular movement' didnt mean rotation....right?
    This does not reference anything about secondary muscles being used.
    'alot' is not a word.

Know It All

shoulder roll.
    I call it the California Roll
    'alot' is not a word.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Ok, so... i recently got a PM asking me for body weight exercise ideas, and I have gotten at least half dozen of these types of PMs in the past. I'm not a personal trainer or any sort of expert, and there are plenty of people here who know more than me about this stuff, but I do have about 12 years of consistent weight lifting/strength training experience, during which time I've worked out for different reasons and to acheive different types of goals, and as such have explored quite a few different ...eh... strenth training venues (which is kind of a running joke around here). Some worked, some didn't, but I've posted a lot of stuff on here over the last few years as I've gotten more serious about strength traiing. Rather than rehash that, in which case I'm sure to forget some stuff, i decided to track down some of my posts. I searched on threads where I posted "tabata", because if I talk about working out, I'm pretty much always going to mention tabata at some point. There might be others, I thought there was a huge one I put together for gnip at one point, and I'll see if I can track that down, but in any case.... here's a list of some posts that have some good info and should give some of you guys looking for ideas some new stuff to explore. The most important thing is to really get in tune with your body. If you are in tune with your body you can try new stuff and not have to wonder whether or not it's right, or if it's working anything, or if it's doing any damage, because you will know, because you'll feel it. When I'm on a consistent gym schedule I'll usually make up at least 1 new exercise a week, usually just in thinking "how can I work this muscle differently", or "how can I work this whole group of muscles or combo of muscles". And of course some work better than others, but it keeps me from getting bored with it and it gives me an edge when it comes to athletics because you can give yourself more of a complete, total body fitness. So, anyway, here's what I rounded up, I'm sure there's some duplication in some of these but w/e. These are in no particular order. Also remember a lot of these with weights can be done w/ just body weight, especially squat derivatives. But I fully recommend using rocks or chunks of concrete or something if you don't have weights.

http://skimonline.net/forum/showpost...1&postcount=85
    http://skimonline.net/forum/showpost...1&postcount=37
    http://skimonline.net/forum/showpost...9&postcount=52
    http://skimonline.net/forum/showpost...49&postcount=1
    http://skimonline.net/forum/showpost...&postcount=174
    http://skimonline.net/forum/showpost...&postcount=224
    http://skimonline.net/forum/showpost...84&postcount=7
    http://skimonline.net/forum/showpost...86&postcount=8
    Last edited by ZapBulletRider; 03-03-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Know It All

It has def paid off!

'alot' is not a word.

Know It All

you sexy furry gaming beast
    'alot' is not a word.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

yeah, I wasn't in good shape in that pic. I mean I wasn't in bad shape but not anywhere near where I got immediately after that when I started "300" phase. The only reason I took that pic was that I was joking sealice in one of his "shirt off mirror pic" threads. I may actually re-create that pic on Friday for my 30th birthday. I am not as big as I've been a couple times in the past but I'm about as lean as I've ever been and I've got decent size. Strength-to-weight ratio is great right now, mainly due to parkour and kung fu.

I do have a recent mirror pic of me naked cupping my junk that blows the gamerdouche pic out of the water, but that's for my wife's eyes only. Well, hers and all her friends she showed it to....

Edit: for frame of reference, that pic was taken 7/27/07. I started back working on the army base I work on on 1/29/07. Prior to that I had 9 months at another job where I maybe lifted 10 times. I was the weakest I'd been since before college. Right before that pic was taken, probably a month before, I got back in the gym, semi-consistently, but I was super weak. Like struggling w/ 3 sets of 10 on bench w/ 45's. In August one of my coworkers and I got interested in gym jones (which trained the "300" actors and where the "300 workout" originated from) and crossfit, and decided to do "300 month", where for september we were going to get super serious about working out gym jones style. We continued it long after september and decided to do the official 300 workout at the end of Dec. Here's what I looked like immediately after it: http://whitmatthews.com/images/300.jpg
    Obviously w/ that sexy FSM shirt on you can't see what I looked like really but I was ridiculously stronger than in the gamerdouche pic. Some size gain but mainly a ton of functional strength gain, considering I probably weighed about the same in both pics, maybe 5 lbs heavier in the last pic at most.

Title

whats an exercise that can be substituted for pullups/chinups. i suck at those and want to learn how i can get better at them. anything simple/not too complicated?

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

you could do lat pulldowns at the gym, but really, just do more pullups. It's such a great exercise. You could jump into the pullup once you start to fail if you want to get more reps. You could also learn proper kipping technique if you want to get more reps, but don't exclude dead hang entirely because they are a really great exercise.

For kipping demo go to crossfit.com and there should be a link on the left for Exercises/Demos... something like that (it's blocked at work), and it'll be somewhere on that page

Know It All

I know ZBRa. just frackin' with you. You actually look in pretty good shape in that pic. The headband still makes me lol to this day though
    'alot' is not a word.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

i'm thinking if I redo it I may go w/ a black headband. Like some sort of martial arts belt status type thing. I should probably go w/ brown or something though b/c I'm still not where i want to be... i'm still not sure if I want to redo it though. Seems kinda gay.

Know It All

you could do lat pulldowns at the gym, but really, just do more pullups. It's such a great exercise. You could jump into the pullup once you start to fail if you want to get more reps.
    Yeah...good advice. When I first started doing them I was pretty heavy into lifting and weighed around 230. I could knock out maybe four reps. But if I did 4 sets of four it seemed like everytime I went to do them I could squeeze out one more rep. Now I'm up to around a dozen for almost 4 sets the same weight. Just keep doing them. Only way to get stronger is to lift heavy weight. Doing more reps on a pull down doesn't always equate to much of a strength gain
    'alot' is not a word.

Know It All

i'm thinking if I redo it I may go w/ a black headband. Like some sort of martial arts belt status type thing. I should probably go w/ brown or something though b/c I'm still not where i want to be... i'm still not sure if I want to redo it though. Seems kinda gay.
    hahah...totally. Do it like a belt system. Classic idea.

oh and "kinda gay"? lol...jk
    'alot' is not a word.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

yeah you kind of plateau w/ body weight stuff at a point, and throwing in some weights helps you push it further

Thread Information