Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
    SOMB Veteran

Default Skimboard Size Charts.

I'm starting to think......maybe size charts are all wrong. Surfboards go by your weight. Why? Because you need the extra float for paddling not for riding waves. A skimboard doesn't really need float like a surfboard does. So what about using a person's height? It would get you closer to the right size board. What do you guys think.......could the great and wonderful "me" be wrong?
    Also on another thread a guy was 5'10" and only 103lbs. a weight chart would be all wrong for him, right?
    J Gordon Skimboards - Owner

[Remember: your front foot is your gas and back foot is your brake.]
    (speed = float)

Skim Junkie

a 5'10" 170lb guy would still need a bigger board than a guy at the same hight and only 100lb, so weight is a part of board size
    Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass

Skimboarder

height and suggested weight are good as a general rule your board should come to your nipple or peck muscle line. then depending on the waves you ride and your skim level move up or down in size.Width is also a big factor if your board doesn't have enough surface area it will slow down.good question J-Gordon

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by RexSkimmer View Post
    a 5'10" 170lb guy would still need a bigger board than a guy at the same hight and only 100lb, so weight is a part of board size
    Yeah that's true......maybe, but I was also thinking height because of the width of your stance would be the same if you were the same height as someone lighter or heavier. Kind of like picking out a new skateboard.
    Last edited by Jim Gordon; 12-01-2009 at 10:23 AM.

(speed = float)

Skimboarder

when ever some one asks me what size board he should get, the first thing I ask is how tall he is. but I think that if some one is tall and super light, then they might be ok on a smaller board.
    Exile Skimboards- Sales Rep

SOMB Veteran

I still use a weight chart........but I was thinking maybe I should use a height chart instead. Let's see what you guys come up with, this thread could change skim size charts thoughout the world. LOLzzzzz

(speed = float)

Skimboarder

some companys d o use height usualy supposed to get a board that comes up too the middle of your ribs
    watch me do me

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by pierratskim View Post
    some companys d o use height usualy supposed to get a board that comes up too the middle of your ribs
    That sounded good at first, then I thought........boards come in different widths.
    I think the board company still needs to figure out a height and weight scale and put it on the board. Too many things going on here, like board thickness, width and length. By using just weight, is not too accurate.

(speed = float)

Skimboarder

This may not be exactly what you guys are talking about, but I've had 5/8 and 3/4 boards, and the thicker it is only slows me down, and I'm a big guy (6'3" - 190lb) I feel no extra float going out, and once you grab the wave it doesn't matter how thick the board is (unless it's a ripple). I think I could get farther out on a SM 5/8 than on a ML 3/4. I also think rocker is way underrated, flat = huge distance, that's why the Domke rocker has gotten so popular.
    CCLF Screenprinting - Owner
    Your waves - Owner
    Cape Cod Liberation Front - Subcommandante

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Derik Kent View Post
    its way different depending on the conditions you are skimming and the skill level.

also corey knows exactly how to ride his XL but the waves he rides it on are prime conditions for having a blast on a XL with
    I think corey is riding his xl skim more like a surfboard than a skimboard, and he even does paddle take offs with it.

(speed = float)

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by arne View Post
    when ever some one asks me what size board he should get, the first thing I ask is how tall he is. but I think that if some one is tall and super light, then they might be ok on a smaller board.
    im pretty tall and light and ride a 52" board. i honestly do not go by a size chart, i tried a few boards out and chose out of preference. idk if people call that a small or big board?
    Alex Mendrin.
    central valley representative.
    ----------------------------

Skimboarder

im a big guy too, same height, ten pounds lighter then you, im having trouble finding a board that will properly float but still give me the ability to snap turns and such
    I think rocker's the key here, you can keep the overall size of the board down, but it makes a huge difference with float, just gotta learn to hold the pocket with less rocker, but it's not much of a difference.
    CCLF Screenprinting - Owner
    Your waves - Owner
    Cape Cod Liberation Front - Subcommandante

Skimboarder

weight is the most accurate universal measurement for board size because of float

Skimboarder

the last board i bought was a medium pro from exile, and the one i had before that was a MS epoxy carbon from victoria. I'm 6' 145lbs. My exile Is a lot easier to ride, but i still think it's just preference.

i honestly think the weight groups for boards should be condensed though(victoria anyway)

SOMB Veteran

i know all about paddle take offs thats mahhh signature move haa
    The only way I can do a paddle take off is with my surfboard.

(speed = float)

Pro Skimboarder

in my experience it doesn't matter about the board,surfboard,skimboard,skate ext. I ride boards that gromets would ride i just have to run or paddle faster.If you looking to flote more get a bigger board.wanna hit the piss out of a wave a smaller board will do that ALOT better,but you will be having to run alot faster.........the end.

Skimboarder

I couldn't help but read the post but this is what I observed from my standpoint.

My Zap Large Wedge is approx. 48.5 inches long. I once had a Square Kevlar board that was 50" inches. My Zap large was snappier on turns where else my Square had a tighter feel. I can do my run & drop just as fast as I could with both boards but with the exception that since my Zap board was Shorter, it made my run a little bit better and I was able to gain more speed. My Square was bigger and doing my run & drop, I had to adjust my feet placement a little bit to compensate with the board. It's longer and has a little more volume than my Zap does. But with that in mind, it had WAYY more float; which is why I liked it a lot. More float made it easier for me to hit liners better. Again, there's no trade off here. Height n weight could a factor here. If I had went for a XS Square, which was 47", then MAYBE it would have just about the same effect as it would with my Zap. Although, this is where you take your weight into consideration. But all in all, I just comes down to the rider itself. As of now, I miss my Square after having to lose it in the waters, but I still enjoy riding my ZAP.
    E L E A Z A R M E D I A :: Cinematographer
    www.behance.net/eleazarsunglao

SOMB Veteran

You only need more float if the waves are slow and weak or break too far out. If they are breaking right on the beach you can even rip on a board that's too small.

(speed = float)

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gordon View Post
    You only need more float if the waves are slow and weak or break too far out. If they are breaking right on the beach you can even rip on a board that's too small.
    that too
    E L E A Z A R M E D I A :: Cinematographer
    www.behance.net/eleazarsunglao

Skimboarder

this thread doesn't make any sense...

a riders weight determines how big a board they need to stay above the water.
    from there, you can fine tune the board selection using running speed, primary riding contions, and sometimes rider's height (rider height becomes more of a factor if the person is abnormally short or tall...after all MOST people are generally between 5 and 6 feet tall, but weights can vary by many, many pounds.)

As for length and width of board -- they are completely arbitrary and vary drastically from one brand to another.
    Syndrome Skimboards - Owner

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gordon View Post
    even when it is breaking on the beach, i still like to use my friends foamie. thing goes mach 5 into shorepound because it doesnt even get close to sinking haha

SOMB Veteran

So I think we would all agree with this.......if you're around 5'4" and weight over 200 lbs you would go by weight. And if you're around 103 lbs and 5'10" you should go by height. So do we all agree on that?......

(speed = float)

Pro Youtuber

just go by rep points x height / posts
    SOMB's Brett Favre

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Anton View Post
    this thread doesn't make any sense...
    still.

if someone were 5'10" and 103, I'd recommend them ride a small board.
    if someone were 5'10 and 175, I'd recommend them ride an ML board.

Huge differences -- each one decided by weight. Seriously, I really don't see a logical point to using height as a primary factor.

Whatever, I really don't care. I know what size board I like, and I can usually give pretty good guidance to those who don't.
    Syndrome Skimboards - Owner

Skimboarder

i think at the end of the day if you are faster on your feet drop down a size and they should go by weight not so much height, i seen guys killing it on smaller boards who are 6 feet tall.

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Anton View Post
    still.

if someone were 5'10" and 103, I'd recommend them ride a small board.
    if someone were 5'10 and 175, I'd recommend them ride an ML board.

Huge differences -- each one decided by weight. Seriously, I really don't see a logical point to using height as a primary factor.

Whatever, I really don't care. I know what size board I like, and I can usually give pretty good guidance to those who don't.
    Here's why I was thinking about going by height, if you have a very tall guy that doesn't weigh much and you put him on a small board his front foot would be to close to the nose. I also know what size I like too.
    I still have not decided if I'm going to go by height, weight or both.

(speed = float)

Skimboarder

weight is key here becuase you are skimming above the water, and riding a wave. weight is the most accurate and essential measurement. height has no effect whatsoever. maybe length of legs, but that stil doesn't make a huge difference. boards only really differ a most of say 4-6 inches (for the most part) so i dont think a really tall person would NEED those 4 inches. of course there are exceptions, but thats life

SOMB Veteran

Thanks for everyones input.......this gives me food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post
    just go by rep points x height / posts
    Thrillhouse, I'll give this some thought too.

(speed = float)

Thread Information