Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Skimboarder
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    518
    Rep Power
    15

    Default can you spray paint a board?

    ^^^ i would like to spray paint the board a different color. will this work? will it make it harder to put pads on? will it have any side effects on the board?

  2. #2
    Skimboarder
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Beach
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    If youre going to do it, I'd put the pads on first and then tape them off when you paint. Then you don't have to worry about if theyll stick or not.

    The paint wont do anything to your board except add a little weight (no more than waxing your board, probably less). Lightly sand the board first and clean with alcohol. The paint will probably eventually start to come off, but it will look good when you first do it.
    "clever quote here"

  3. #3
    Skimboarder
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New jersey
    Posts
    757
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TreeFiddy View Post
    If youre going to do it, I'd put the pads on first and then tape them off when you paint. Then you don't have to worry about if theyll stick or not.

    The paint wont do anything to your board except add a little weight (no more than waxing your board, probably less). Lightly sand the board first and clean with alcohol. The paint will probably eventually start to come off, but it will look good when you first do it.
    Don't use heavy paint. . . or else

  4. #4
    SOMB Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    11,942
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    It will scratch off.....and after awhile it will look like hell. If you wax over it, it will last longer too. But you can just wet sand it off and repaint it. DO NOT do the bottom though.......it will look good for about one ride.=(
    J Gordon Skimboards - Owner

    [Remember: your front foot is your gas and back foot is your brake.]
    (speed = float)

  5. #5
    Skimboarder
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Nor Cal/ SD
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    i used spray paint on my board, like they said sand it and then paint it. After that i put two coats of high gloss clear coat over it and it has protected the paint really well. I talked to Roush before doing mine and he told me he uses the same process for his custom boards.

  6. #6
    kook
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Destin, Florida
    Posts
    5,814
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gordon View Post
    It will scratch off.....and after awhile it will look like hell. If you wax over it, it will last longer too. But you can just wet sand it off and repaint it. DO NOT do the bottom though.......it will look good for about one ride.=(
    is this just for sand drops? probably so

  7. #7
    Skimboarder
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    neverland
    Posts
    283
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommygallagher View Post
    is this just for sand drops? probably so
    Too cool for sand drops?

  8. #8
    Skimboarder
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,258
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xjweezyx View Post
    ^^^ i would like to spray paint the board a different color. will this work? will it make it harder to put pads on? will it have any side effects on the board?
    I've seen friends of mine that have spray painted their boards. And yes, after a while it will start to flake and peel off but I think it just gives it character. I hope you're at least going to paint it more than one color?
    EOS- Rider

  9. #9
    Skimboarder
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    518
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Davis View Post
    I've seen friends of mine that have spray painted their boards. And yes, after a while it will start to flake and peel off but I think it just gives it character. I hope you're at least going to paint it more than one color?
    ya im gonna use 2 or 3 but im only doing this if i get a used board that has a shit color (literally). if i get a new one ill just get the color i like.

  10. #10
    kook
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Destin, Florida
    Posts
    5,814
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastSkim21 View Post
    Too cool for sand drops?
    ya

  11. #11
    Skimboarder
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,258
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xjweezyx View Post
    ya im gonna use 2 or 3 but im only doing this if i get a used board that has a shit color (literally). if i get a new one ill just get the color i like.
    You should buy my board http://skimonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32965 Then you wouldn't have to worry about spray painting it. Because the colors are sick already.
    EOS- Rider

  12. #12
    Skimboarder
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    518
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Davis View Post
    You should buy my board http://skimonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32965 Then you wouldn't have to worry about spray painting it. Because the colors are sick already.
    i probobly would if it was 3/4 blake tyre pro model. theres just no fracking way im settling for a board that i dont really want. god its happened to me so many fracking times already i just want a board that i really fracking want. (exile proshape 5/8 domke rocker textured prob like purp and green or purp and white with green bottom, or apex blake tyre carbon apex 3/4 51 or 52 most likely same colors, syndrome used)
    you gotta sick board though

  13. #13
    i am a video
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    ZURC ATNAS
    Posts
    941
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Dose not work never try its a waste of paint never do that and don't listen to teddy about putting the pads on first it works sooooooo much better if you put them on after or even when the paints wet, wet like a ......

  14. #14
    Skimboarder
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Nor Cal/ SD
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TEEZERZ View Post
    wet like a ......
    swimming pool?

  15. #15
    Skimboarder
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    203
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    i can...send it to me, ill do it for free

  16. #16
    SOMB Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    11,942
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommygallagher View Post
    is this just for sand drops? probably so
    Well not really.......How about when you ride your board back up the beach.
    J Gordon Skimboards - Owner

    [Remember: your front foot is your gas and back foot is your brake.]
    (speed = float)

  17. #17
    Skimboarder
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Tybee Island
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    What do you use to redo the color of the bottom of a skimboard?

  18. #18
    Skimboarder
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Jensen Beach FL,
    Posts
    2,285
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    this is a temp fix... stealing skimboards is wrong.
    GingerBred

  19. #19
    Veteran of SOMB War
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Side, DE
    Posts
    3,617
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shsu1992 View Post
    What do you use to redo the color of the bottom of a skimboard?
    See my post in your other thread bumpage

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Logout