Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
    Skimboarder

Default Official Costa Rica skim info thread

I have found myself typing up general info about beaches and whatnot for skimmers that PM me for it. it seems to happen quite often. i tried updating the "spots" page on skimonline, but it didnt work. that was a while ago though. So i thought i would just type this up once, and direct any questions to this thread. Im not trying to be a dick, i just think its pointless to type up the same thing over and over...

you should still let me know if/when you are coming down, because more often than not, i will be down to go skim.

so here goes:

East Coast:
    Never skimmed there. Dont know much about the area. but what ive heard is.... its not very good. Plenty of weak-mushy waves... so i wouldnt even go through the hassle of bringing a skimboard if the only place you are visitng is the west coast. If you can prove me wrong, please do so.

West CoastFrom north to south)
    Playas del coco:
    Really fun straight waves. this is the spot where you will see the most skimboarders. a lot of locals skim here. most of them ride home made wooden boards. and they still rip. you can check out this break on youtube. search a video called "skim costa rica". made by my friend Bruno. Anyway... it works best at high tide, and usually even better when high tide is in the afternoon. The locals say there is a really fun liner that works at the rivermouth, i think during august or something, at the southern most end of the beach. but ive never even been down there. so dont take that as a given.
    Playa Prietta More secluded beach, south of el coco. lots of fun waves to play around on. i think it will hold about waist to chest. but then again, ive never been there when there is a big swell in the water. scenery is really nice, and you will definitely get a wave at high tide.
    Playa Flamingo about 10 mins south of prietta is flamingo. very popular beach, lots of people, hotels and houses and stuff. but there is also a fun wave. i think the whole beach is pretty descent, but i always prefer the north side. right in front of the" hotel playa flamingo". again, high tide is your best bet.
    Bahia del pirata Continuing south of flamingo, is pirates bay. super fun on the right swell (still havnt determined what that is)... so its kind of hit and miss. but if you hit, you will get really fun straight waves at the north end of the beach, and also some fun liners in front of the rock mass thats out in the water.
    Playa Langosta is the next beach south of tamarindo. probably the most popular, tourist destination as far as guanacaste beaches go. so just get to tamarindo, and go to the next beach south. at high tide you will see delicious waves as soon as you walk out onto the sand. however, its all rock under there. so you will not want to skim here. what you want to do is walk south, swim or wade through the estuary, and skim some awesome liners that will be pealing across the sand on the other side. this spot only works when there is some descent swell. i went there recently with like a 3 ft swell,,, and the little waves coming into the rivermouth were like maybe knee high. probably smaller. but if you get a 6-7 or 8ft swell,,, these little waves will be some really fun waist high lines. this spot is home to the longest rides ive ever gotten in CR.
    Playa Cabuyal Never skimmed there. but ive seen pictures. it looks OK. if you are in the area, check it out, otherwise... i doubt it would be worth the trip to check it out. its a way down south from langosta.
    Playa Negra Fun straight waves. they can get pretty heavy. kind of similar to playa hermosa. its a surfing beach, but you can skim the reforms. its south of avellanas. skim right in front of the hotel.
    Santa Teresa is all the way down on the peninsula de nicoya. its a very popular surf beach, lots of camping grounds, its a good time. anyway... i was there this past april and got some really fun secondary wave action at the north side of the beach. there was plenty of swell, probably like 8 or 9ft. and i got some really fun chest high wraps. there was also a few fun lines lurking. anyway... if the waves are big, you might want to try this spot at high tide.
    Montezuma i was there about a month ago. on the southern beach, there is a pretty odd shorebreak. it will jack up, then when its coming closer into shore... it will just sort of mush down into the sand. so i dont know if it would be any good on a different tide or swell direction. but if those waves hold up, it would have been like chest high straight waves.... its a gamble though. and its just south of santa tere.
    Punterenas in the city of puntarenas. puntarenas is actually a province, but the skim is found in downtown puntarenas. if there is some swell in the water, you will have some fun skim only if high tide is nice and early in the morning. you will want to skim somewhere on the beach between the double tree hotel and the hospital. ive had some glassy waist high sessions there. early though, like 5 or 6 am high tide would be best.
    Playa Blanca i guess this is my spot. its the beach that i have skimmed the most in my life. its only about 1 and a half hours from san jose, and it can be really fun. sometimes there are rocks, but its usually rocks on one side of the beach. it works best on the last couple of hours of a rising tide. so if high tide is at 6pm, you will get some fun waves from 3 or 4pm untill sunset. its been working best on an afternoon high tide. it can hold a good chest high wave. but there is plenty of small stuff to mess around on. check out the vid justin made, its on youtube, search playa blanca skim... it should come up. also... check the upcoming issue of foreverskim... there might be something in there.
    this beach is surrounded by a resort called punta leona. if you can, i would tell you to stay in the resort, and have some fun waves on demand. otherwise... you have to access the beach by the public road which is south of the main entrace. its the next right after the main entrance and its a dirt road that will take you all the way into the resort. once you get to the minigolf/soccer thing... you need to park there, walk out to the beach, and start walking south. you will need to walk around some rocks (best to be done NOT at high tide) and then climb through this path that was made to access playa blanca. right when you come down that little path, right in front will be a stupid little sider. we usually mess around on it, but its kind of stupid because it breaks really close to rocks... but anyway, it works on a low incoming tide. and the straight waves work on the high, incoming.....
    Playa Hermosa Popular surf beach, skim is hit and miss. you can skim pretty much anywhere on the beach, its got really good slope, and the waves are powerfull... but sometimes its all over the place and kind of crap. you can get lucky though. we skim the reform waves. there are a few locals that skim there too. if you see a dude with a knee brace, say hello. its roger. he runs some cabins there called las olas. i recommend staying there if you were to stay in playa hermosa.
    Manuel Antonio Really fun waves in the national park. out of the national park... not so much. there is a little sider that works sometimes. i guess it need certain swell direction or something. ive been there a bunch of times, but only on the last visit, last week... it was really fun. i guess its the only sider ive connected on here. its on the north side of playa espadilla sur, in the park. the waves sort of wrap around the rock thats out in the water. then a little south of the sider are some really fun straight waves. again... you can youtube it.... or check the upcoming foreverskim. i think this is my favourite spot to skim in Costa Rica. just because its the whole package, good waves, and its also a really fun place. if you were to stay in manuel antonio, i very strongly recomend HOSTEL VISTA SERENA. they have a website. its a guaranteed good time.
    now its not as good as it sounds. if you are not aware, skimming is banned in the park. and it fracking blows... but i guess there is a way around it. park opens at 7am and closes at 4pm. so we plan our trips out to where high tide is around 5 or 6, so we can skim from daybreak... around 5am, untill they kick us out around 7. go sleep, and do it again in the afternoon after they close untill sunset.
    San Josecito I have not been here, but justin says its awesome. its way south. south of manuel antonio like an hour or so... but you have to access it by boat i believe. for further assistance on how to get there, you may need to contact XsbcX... but anyway.... he says it was firing when he went. really fun. good liners too... but i dont know much about it...

anyway... i guess that pretty much sums it up. i hope its helpfull. for directions on getting to any of the beaches, what you need to do is google search the beach, and just go to the webpage of anyhotel thats on that beach. the hotels provide good directions.

but there is nothing like a local guide, so remember to let me know when you are coming down.

Pura Vida!!!

Mustached Gent

well done!

candy-ass

sweet. sucks i couldn't make it over there this year
    Pool's closed.

Skimboarder

Oh, i forgot to add.

regarding Playa blanca, it seems to work best from july through november.

Skimboarder

Thanks for the write up! Now, how bout the epic surf you guys have, where do we go?

Rainbow Puuushed

+1 man, this is pretty awesome.
    How does this thing work?

Skimboarder

sure. i wish we had a website. but thats a little far fetched right now. maybe in the future....

as far as surfing... i dont know. dont really surf. there must be more than enough stuff on the web concerning costa rica surf.

king meep

sick. this is a big help. i can't wait to get down there.
    "This is for everybody in this city who's had homes that used to be wet," he said after receiving the NFC championship trophy. "This is for the city of New Orleans." -Sean Payton

Skimboarder

daniel!!! what up dawg!!!
    hope you had a good time while you were here!

Skimboarder

great thread and nice job skim costa

candy-ass

yeah, this should be moved to the old thread faq section.
    Pool's closed.

Skimboarder

ya when i went to langosta to surf in the river mouth it was lik knee hi pellers. i didnt skim back then but it looked so fun
    cool signature.

Skimboarder

lets see some video of those linners !!
    cool signature.

Skimboarder

thank you so much cause im trying to figure where to stay in costa rica soon in like a couple of months... i skim and surf so i want to have both, but i think my bro wants to go to playa hermosa so i think thats where ill be! are the reforms at playa hermosa decent??

Skimboarder

Hey man Awesome write up..

cool to meet ya in laguna.. come back soon
    This Space is for Rent

Skimboarder

nice to hear positive feedback. i didnt even know there was a FAQ thread section...

hey drew and denis!! i had a Fin awesome time. i will be back for sure. but you guys should use my guide and plan a trip down here to!!

regarding the langosta liners footage... i wish i had some. but i dont. i dont even have a camera. maybe when justin gets back we can plan a trip and use his sweet video recording device.

Skimboarder

p.s: that fracking taco i had a jack in the box that day was so gross. i felt like puking the rest of the day. you guys remember that shit? it was like clear and moist from all the grease. damn it.

Secretive

This was a good read, I loved my time in CR

When I went to Costa Rica we stayed at San Jose, Arenal, and Manuel Antonio, and MA was the best by far. Waves were fun but when I went there were a lot of rocks and there wasn't too much skimwise, but there wasn't that big of a swell anyways. Plus you had monkeys on the beach messing around with all the fat tourists, which was great.
    This working out thing isn't working out.

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Skim Costa View Post
    p.s: that fracking taco i had a jack in the box that day was so gross. i felt like puking the rest of the day. you guys remember that shit? it was like clear and moist from all the grease. damn it.
    yah thats american food thats why were all fat
    This Space is for Rent

Skimboarder

Pictures please!!!!!!!

Skimboarder

pictures eh?.... lets see what i got

Skimboarder

here are the urls for the vids i mentioned...lazy bastards....

playas del coco
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsrhO2sN1Dc

playa blanca
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPj5MzlDogY

manuel antonio
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE2FZsUyJLE

this is a really annoying video i found of playa hermosa. but you can sort of get the idea of what that wave is usually like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HbJBfr1uAM

ive got a few pictures, but they are mostly of the same beaches displayed in the videos... so its kind of pointless. but if you want, i can post.

Skimboarder

i got some pics of hermosa somewhere.. reform liners..

playa pelada- just south of nosara. to different breaks here.. a high tide liner spot on a 210 degree swell. walk 50 meters north past the boats on te beach full of guys drinking tequila and there a head high reform wedges

Skimboarder

oh shit! thats right. forgot about pelada. i still want to check that place out.

Skimboarder

i'll be in tamarindo november 22-28. hows it around there?
    team mustache: owner/rider

Know It All

Never saw this thread. Awesome write up! A good friend of mine just moved there so I have a place to stay. Stoked!

and..lol at the Jack in the Crack tacos...aka grease bombs. 2 for .99 cents! They're always saturated in grease like that
    Southern California - A sunny place for shady people.
    'alot' is not a word.

Skimboarder

Damn, I went to the first place for 3 days and Manuel Antonio for 4 days before I skimmed

Skimboarder

langosta!!!!! right next to tama. good stuff.

Skimboarder

Damn, thats some good info. Thanks man!
    BryceCasselman.com // Freelance Photographer
    Flatland Magazine // Owner & Editor
    Foreverskim // Staff Photographer

Thread Information