Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Default Repairing a hole in your nose

I just recently repaired a hole in the nose of my friend's board, and it turned out really well. So well I decided I would do the same on my board and document it w/ pics, so hopefully it will help somebody in the future. Unfortunately it didn't quite go as smoothly as the first time, but the process is documented nonetheless and should still be helpful.

Disclaimer: Everything I know about working w/ fiberglass and epoxy I learned from reading the internet and working with it. I'm far from an expert and if you see anything I'm doing wrong please let me know so I can correct it.

So, here we go. Here's the hole in my board, I'm sure a lot of you have gotten this to varying degrees. Mine was repaired with some cheap 5 min epoxy a few years back and it had broken up and yellowed, so I took a butterknife and scooped it out.

For this job, I used MAS epoxies. I've used them before to make skateboards and I have no complaints. I got these at Boater's World. Notice I got non-blushing hardener, so it would dry clear and not yellowish. The stuff on the right is silica powder, it's really fine and when added to resin it hardens it up. It not only adds structural integrity, it also makes it thicker and easier to work with. Makes it less like honey and more like that little can of glue you used back in Kindergarten with the brush attached to the cap. The more you add, the thicker it gets, so just experiment.

I also picked up a little bit of fiberglass cloth, some rubber gloves, and some little paper dixie cups. When resin cures it gets surprisingly hot, and will melt a hole in a Styrofoam cup, so use paper. Not pictured is the dust mask (or better yet, gas mask) I should have been wearing.

MAS epoxy is 2 parts resin, 1 part hardener, so what I did was picked an arbitrary amount of water and filled the cup, then marked the line, and did so 3 times. I picked 2 tsp, but I could have gone less for this first batch. I could have used 1tsp.

Last edited by ZapBulletRider; 02-23-2009 at 10:19 PM.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

When you add the hardener to the resin, the clock starts and you have limited time before it starts to cure and get goopy and lumpy. If you can get everything done in 5 mins you're golden. 10 mins is pushing it, in my experience, though it depends on the resin/hardener you use. As you can see I'm using "Fast" hardener so I had limited time. Make sure you stir it really well, and that you are exact on your proportions of resin to hardener. One of the first times I used resin I didn't mix it well and I had spots that never really cured right and stayed sticky for months. Then once you've mixed it, add the silica powder. Be careful not to breathe that stuff in.

Then, I simply scooped some out and filled the hole till it was about level.

I then covered it with saran wrap because I had to turn the board over to work on other spots (I may show those later)

I let the board cure overnight. Then next night (I try to wait 24 hours) I sanded it down smooth and this is what it looked like.

Now it was time to do the second and final layer. I mixed up the same amount of resin as before, but this time, before adding the hardener, I poured some of it (maybe about half) out into another dixie cup. The reason for this is, I needed really thick resin to build up a hump on the nose, but I needed thin resin to lay the fiberglass. I cut out a piece of fiberglass to fit over the nose and down the sides a little:

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

I also cut up some of the frayed ends on the cloth to add to the thick resin, along w/ the silica powder, to make it thicker and easier to shape.

Thenit was time to build up the hump:

And then I took the thin resin from the other cup and kind of iced the top where I'd be laying down the glass. You can see that in this pic, as I'm laying down the glass.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Then I add some more thin resin on top of the glass and smooth it all out. Be careful to get all bubbles out. If you can''t work them out the sides, you can take a pin and poke the cloth to release the air. I was sloppy and left one there on the left side. Oops.

I also kind of pushed and prodded the little clump of thick resin up into the shape I wanted. It didn't turn out quite as symmetrical as I'd hoped, but it was pretty close after sanding.

I then let it cure for 2 days.

And, then I sanded it down really well:

Last edited by ZapBulletRider; 02-24-2009 at 05:09 AM.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

And there it is. I'm sure there's something I could do to clear coat it but I don't really care with this board because it's ghetto as hell. Plus my new exile should be here soon

Your bad at grammar.

quite possibly the most helpful 27,249th, 27,250th, 27,251st, 27,252nd, and 27,253rd posts ever on SOMB.
    ForeverSkim - Editor/Owner/Art Director/Etc
    20/30north Studios - Print/Web/Motion

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

haha, not to mention the ONLY...

Your bad at grammar.

hahahahaha...this is ZBR's road to redemption.
    ForeverSkim - Editor/Owner/Art Director/Etc
    20/30north Studios - Print/Web/Motion

Ginger

repped?

EDIT: not even gonna bother, it's pointless. good thread though, I'm really impressed with the final product
    National College Skim Association- Founder/President
    Extreme Outdoor Supply- Team Rider
    Island Water Sports- Team Rider

SOMB Veteran

im not seeing anything wrong with your method. hows that resin in terms of price vs quality? im looking to get some good resin for longboard building.
    nfarino117: Do you just use a paint pen on top of the front of your board? Or do you have to take it apart?
    Let Fire Fall:haha today at moes i was rolling up this guys burrito

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

it would probably be better to talk to somebody who makes boards, but MAS has been highly recommended by everyone I've talked to at Boater's World over any other brands they carry. It went up a little in price since last time I bought it; the resin was 30, the hardener was 20, and the silica powder (not necessary though) was 12. Between this board and the other one I did, however, I only used a fraction of it, and half of what I mixed was wasted. Actually more than half, I didn't know until the last batch how much to mix really. I have a ton left though. Really this whole repair probably cost me less than 5 bucks in materials. And I'm not even showing what I did to the bottom of the board, the nose fix is only 1/3 of the resin I used.

SOMB Veteran

pro tip: put mixed resin in your freezer, it wont cure and you can use the excess.
    nfarino117: Do you just use a paint pen on top of the front of your board? Or do you have to take it apart?

Skimboarder

that first pic has to be the worst "ding" I've ever seen! You did a pretty good repair job from what I can see tough.

Skimboarder

I was hoping to see a picture of you toward the end....
    Alex Fanaian
    FAU Skim Club

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

You saw one of me the whole time, to the left.

SOMB Veteran

i shouldve said it will take supppperrrrrr long to cure, not never cure, but close to never. my bad.

SOMB Veteran

Good job.....I vote to put this in FAQ thread.
    Last edited by Jim Gordon; 02-23-2009 at 10:22 PM.
    J Gordon Skimboards - Owner

[Remember: your front foot is your gas and back foot is your brake.]
    (speed = float)

Skimboarder

I want a full body shot of you smiling.
    Alex Fanaian
    FAU Skim Club

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by benmasters
    pro tip: put mixed resin in your freezer, it wont cure and you can use the excess.
    Hope your mom doesn't think it's honey and put it on your cereal........

(speed = float)

SOMB Veteran

I use epoxy resin on my skims. As far as I know, epoxy resin is epoxy resin. There are different speeds: slow, med and fast drying. I use fast, and it's still not that fast. Like zbr says you have like 10 mins. or so before it dries. It does need to be mixed just right though. For small jobs, I use small paper medicine cups that I buy at the boat yard. You should be able to get them at most drug stores too.
    Last edited by Jim Gordon; 02-24-2009 at 08:23 AM.

(speed = float)

SOMB Veteran

If you're like me and can't use the family silverware like ZBR, you can just use an ice cream stick.
    Last edited by Jim Gordon; 02-24-2009 at 08:25 AM.

(speed = float)

Skimboarder

wow zbr being helpful for a change *applauds*
    "this thread is pretty funny." -aaron peluso

Tourist

really good thread if I ever get a hole or ding in my board il be sure to come to you and ask some questions.

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ghostsushi
    Yeah.....when I first saw this thread, I thought I might see a guy with a hole in his face or something.

(speed = float)

I'm with stupid

better than my method.

I took some tobacco shoved it in there and then dripped a shit load of crazy glue on it.

seems to work ok
    no its not a joke haha i was just freaking out cause she gave me dome before and i bust all in this towel, whiped my dick off then fingered her with that hand and i was just like omg omg omg omg, then we did the nasty, i still think i'm straight.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Quote Originally Posted by ghostsushi
    I love how people act like I'm never helpful, when in reality I help out people on here all the time. Aside from posts in threads, I can't even tell you how many times people have PMed me with questions and I've answered them through there.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Haha I've gotten negged twice for this thread so far, both of which were hilarious. Thumbs up

Veteran of SOMB War

How did you get negged for providing useful information?

That first pick makes me want to puke at the thought of my nose looking like that but the final makes it all better.

Repped for the info and for helping out your friend.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

the 2 negs:

-stop being helpful. the frack do we pay u for anyway

-Sorry but I got to neg you for actually giving something worth while and productive to skimonline

Industry Dude

hahahaha I gave Whit the second one BUT it's a given that this is probably one of the most useful board repair steps out there.

I even put it on the Skim Invasion site (with his permission) because that shit is hot.

Skimboarder

Add to your procedure: a masking tape resin dam around the nose, some white pigment, and milled glass fibers in your resin.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

ah, nice. Yeah I meant to tape it off but forgot. A very useful tip. I believe you can get the pigment wherever the resin's sold, right? I think I saw different color pigments at Boater's World. And milled glass fibers, what are those? You notice I put chopped up glass fibers in the thicker batch, but that was mainly just for the purpose of making it thick and easy to shape. What do the milled fibers do? Add strength?

Edit: I looked it up and MAS makes both. Here's a page that explains their additives. It looks like while the silica powder I have makes a really strong and high density bond, which should hold up well in this application, milled fibers was probably a better choice. My guess is that I'd get the added strength without it being quite as dense. I had used the silica powder before in building skateboards, because I needed a really strong bond, so I thought it was a good choice in this case. Not a bad choice but milled fibers would probably have been better.

http://www.masepoxies.com/public/ind...roductid=69481

Fumed Colloidal Silica (also known as CAB-0-SIL)
    For use when an extremely hard solid with high density is needed, i.e. structural bonding, filling and filleting. A small amount of Colloidal Silica ( about a tablespoon per 4 ounces) will add strength to a top coat but still finish absolutely clear. The white color in the mixing cup will disappear when it cures.

---------------

Milled Fibers (1/32" milled fiberglass)
    For use when epoxy must fill a void and provide extremely high strength and resistance to cracking (i.e. structural filleting, bonding of hardware, and keel bedding).
    Last edited by ZapBulletRider; 02-24-2009 at 07:00 AM.

Retired

pigment is also available at any paint store.

Yeah it makes it stronger, you did the same thing just with less fiberglass. Amazing job for not having much experience working with composites. +1

SOMB Veteran

ZBR......the glass you chopped up works as good as milled fibers. Also, you can't get milled fibers or silica at your corner hardware store. All you really need is epoxy and some fiberglass. Cut some the fiberglass up real small and it will work as good as milled fibers. It not only makes the resin thicker, it also makes it super strong. I would say the nose of your board is a lot stronger than new.
    Last edited by Jim Gordon; 02-24-2009 at 08:31 AM.

(speed = float)

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by ZapBulletRider
    the 2 negs:

-stop being helpful. the frack do we pay u for anyway

-Sorry but I got to neg you for actually giving something worth while and productive to skimonline
    guilty for first one lol. my lousy 3 points off are a joke to your rep-ocean
    "this thread is pretty funny." -aaron peluso

Thread Information