Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
    Skimboarder

Default First time out yesterday....

So yesterday was my first time out trying to learn how to skimboard at Jones Beach, NY. I had a great time even though the falls left me with sand in all my orfices, some rash, and sprained ankles.

Lucky for me, I met a group of skim boarders, and asked to see them ride and to get some tips. Respect to the guy I met (Lee? Dark skinned Asian) who told me how to drop properly and how to distribute my weight. This guy was charging the surf and dropping so smooth, I knew I should be taking notes. My learning curve was quickened by his help and encouragment, I'm glad this sport has people like him in it.

I have to work on my drop timing, speed, and foot placement. I also realize that I need some light colored traction pads so I can spot my black board better in my periferal vison and for better foot placement.

A few more things I realized (and maybe you guys can confirm)
    1. Don't wear shorts with lining in them since they collect sand and shells against my important bits.
    2. Lose weight - gain speed.

My wife took some video of me on my very first few runs but it's way to embarassing to post! Arms flapping like I'm about to fly.... LOL

Skimboarder

Right on! it's good to hear there there are skimmers out that that still help the noobs. That's the way it should be.

Post up the video in the thread about everyones first time. Either pics or vids
    Drew Skuce

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by 416to212
    1. Don't wear shorts with lining in them since they collect sand and shells
    I wear biker shorts. They are like tight short shorts and they wont roll up or collect sand so you usually do not get a rash but every once in a while I still get a rash. And of course I wear this under my board shorts or whatever the bathing suits without the webbing are called.

Edit: Please post video!! It will help people to give you more advice =).

Skimboarder

yes the shorts with lining will make you bleeeeed

Skimboarder

Vasoline under the shorts.

Sounds like you had fun! It only takes a couple of days until the falling on the sand stops. Eventually you'll be falling in the water which doesn't hurt as much.

Post the vid!

The Enforcer

So yesterday was my first time out trying to learn how to skimboard at Jones Beach, NY. I had a great time even though the falls left me with sand in all my orfices, some rash, and sprained ankles.

Lucky for me, I met a group of skim boarders, and asked to see them ride and to get some tips. Respect to the guy I met (Lee? Dark skinned Asian) who told me how to drop properly and how to distribute my weight. This guy was charging the surf and dropping so smooth, I knew I should be taking notes. My learning curve was quickened by his help and encouragment, I'm glad this sport has people like him in it.

I have to work on my drop timing, speed, and foot placement. I also realize that I need some light colored traction pads so I can spot my black board better in my periferal vison and for better foot placement.

1. Don't wear shorts with lining in them since they collect sand and shells against my important bits.

My wife took some video of me on my very first few runs but it's way to embarassing to post! Arms flapping like I'm about to fly.... LOL
    Good stuff. btw......I suggest you do not post the video.
    Purple Snakes

Skimboarder

I love this guy!

*listen to mapdash

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Black
    Vasoline under the shorts.
    Please explain how this works.... Even without Vaseline, I had a load of sand and broken seashells exfoliating my bag. I figure Vaseline would make things stick more. Is this a joke? Do you wish death upon my future family?

Oh and I don't think I'll be posting the video, my ego is too fragile to take the beating that would ensue. Non-epic pictures and video get destroyed on forums! LOL

Skimboarder

I love these board shorts, never have had a problem with rash and you dont need vaseline. . .

http://www.hurley.com/phantom/

Yeah speed is key

Skimboarder

paper thin neoprene shorts(under armor, wal mart, any type of spandex shorts) under your board shorts, and will never have rash again. find out what type of sand you are running on, and make sure you adjust to it to not sprain your ankles, and definitely stretch before you skim.

Secretive

Vaseline does work, but try looking in Dicks sporting goods (near shoe stuff, normally) for something called Body Glide. It helps prevent rashes and can help a rash you already have. I use it when I skim and I haven't had a rash since then, costs like $10, and worth it.

Banned

Please explain how this works.... Even without Vaseline, I had a load of sand and broken seashells exfoliating my bag. I figure Vaseline would make things stick more. Is this a joke? Do you wish death upon my future family?

Oh and I don't think I'll be posting the video, my ego is too fragile to take the beating that would ensue. Non-epic pictures and video get destroyed on forums! LOL
    I was just wondering, is your name 416to212 because you lost that weight or something else?

br00tal m3t4l d00d

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I was just wondering, is your name 416to212 because you lost that weight or something else?

or maybe has/had involvement in 2 different area codes. you frack.

Skimboarder

Lol no, the vasoline makes everything slide around better so you don't get a rash. It's what Paulo does. (if you say "who's Paulo?", I'm banning you.)

Just throw some vaso under your balls and between your legs; rub a little on your taint and you're good to go.

Title

my oneil superfreaks are delightful, i feel naked

Skimboarder

Damn.... So much great info, I'm so glad I posted about my first time experience and rashing! I had no idea of all the solutions, and would probably have never known since I don't go around the beach asking, 'so dude, what do you have on under your shorts?'.

Check to:
    Hurley Phanton shorts or shorts with no inseam.
    Thin Neoprene undies.
    Body Glide or Vaseline around the soft bits.

To tell you the truth, I didn't know rashing could get so bad, it's actually the reason why I didn't practice more. I could not run without feeling like I was bleeding from the crotch and my inner thighs. I'll be equiped with the right gear next time, thanks to your suggestions.

Oh and 416 is Toronto Canada's area code and 212 is New York's area code, I moved to NYC 4 years ago from Tdot.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Quote Originally Posted by Black
    Just throw some vaso under your balls and between your legs; rub a little on your taint and you're good to go.
    new sig, thanks

Banned

I was that asian guy and you still suck.
    My pro model may help you out though. Also only fags wear bathing suits with lining, you might as well skim naked sharing your board with some other dude

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Shooby
    My pro model may help you out though. Also only fags wear bathing suits with lining, you might as well skim naked sharing your board with some other dude

Did not expect that from teh dude that helped him.

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by ZapBulletRider
    new sig, thanks
    damnit.

Skimboarder

WOW

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

damn, I don't think anybody saw that coming, that was raw as frack

Skimboarder

lmfao this dude is so lame
    ]YAHH!!!

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

SOMBA, for the epicness/assholeness of that post alone

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

the timing was great on that post but it looks like that probably wasn't the actual guy. Shooby is just a troll, check his post history:
    http://209.200.225.217/forum/search.php?searchid=111903

all inflammatory posts.

The Enforcer

He just got a sick pair of rayBANS.
    Purple Snakes

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

that's cool, but I would have guessed he already had plenty of sunglASSes

The Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by ZapBulletRider
    that's cool, but I would have guessed he already had plenty of sunglASSes
    ic?udidthr
    Purple Snakes