Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Skimboarder

you would have thought that the prize money would have been higher, but the win was the most important
    [url]http://norfolkskim.forumco.com/default.asp[/url]

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 4evrskm::Derek
    ah man, you guys are gonna be so stoked on the contest writeup in FSM.
    its times like these that make me mad that i dont have a credit card

Your bad at grammar.

you can subscribe via snail mail. instructions are at the bottom of the signup page.
    ForeverSkim - Editor/Owner/Art Director/Etc
    20/30north Studios - Print/Web/Motion

Skim Invasion General

That's the stuff that makes me wish I could hit the lotto. I would put on the sickest, most fair tour ever. frack them if this is all true. It's bad enough we are looked down at by the other industries. Now they are going to run around talking smack also I bet. I'm am sad that this has happened. Jamie deserves way more than $900 for that kind of win. If you make those shirts, I'll buy ten. We need stickers. Come the vilano comp Jamie, you"ll get more than that for winning. And we care about the sport.
    Frank Hastings
    You know the web site.

Skimboarder

Actually Beaker should be going to bat for all of us.
    Mike Cole

Skimboarder

Dear Allyance,

Can't say I didn't see this coming from a mile away, cause I did... Seriously, what is the point of a snowboard outerwear company's involvment in skimboarding?

You don't make money on videos. Especially not bad ones with recyled footage from skim videos everyone has already seen before. If you do it right, you loose money. High end snowboard productions that sell 30,000 movies a year barley break even. That's how it works. I don't think skimboarding has moved 30,000 videos combind, between every producer, and every video, in its entire existance.

You don't make money sponsoring a flock skimboarders, flying them around the world and what not, when you don't have products to sell back to skimboarders. You loose money. Hell... even if you did have something to sell to skimmers you wouldn't see a return on your investment. unless you are sponsoring Tiger Woods, or Shaq... its a total write off. In a sport this size, its about supporting athletes and building brand loyalty.

You don't make money sponsoring contests. Its marketing dollars. You loose money, especially in a sport this size. Again, its about building brand loyalty.

Speaking of brand loyalty, looks like you guys just shot yourself in the foot around here... but what do you care? Its just skimming right? The most unprofessional sport ever!

Speaking of un-professional... how about stealing photos from one of the most well known photographers in the sport? Pretty rad dudes! Super professional!

I know allyance had a sudden epiphany; to the effect that you were getting strung along for your money, with absolutly no worthwhile return on your investment. I wish I could feel sorry for you, but its your fault for not doing your homework before diving into it. And the fact that you cut and run like this at the biggest contest in the most over-hyped-P.O.S-all-talk-no-action-joke-of-a-contest-series EVER, is yet another fine testament to your un-professional and un-thought out approach to buisness.

Allyance, you guys are retards.

P.S. I'm so sad now... What am I going to do next time I go to cabo and I don't have a nice warm snowboarding jacket?! Sob.
    Last edited by TheDL; 08-01-2006 at 05:36 AM.

Skimboarder

edit: im retarded.
    PS nice to see you back moose knuckler..i've missed you.
    Last edited by unorthadox; 08-01-2006 at 05:36 AM.
    Great Lake Skim.com

Your bad at grammar.

there's no post deleted on my end, jeff.
    ForeverSkim - Editor/Owner/Art Director/Etc
    20/30north Studios - Print/Web/Motion

Skimboarder

Dear Allyance,

Can't say I didn't see this coming from a mile away, cause I did... Seriously, what is the point of a snowboard outerwear company's involvment in skimboarding?

You don't make money on videos. Especially not bad ones with recyled footage from skim videos everyone has already seen before. If you do it right, you loose money. High end snowboard productions that sell 30,000 movies a year barley break even. That's how it works. I don't think skimboarding has moved 30,000 videos combind, between every producer, and every video, in its entire existance.

You don't make money sponsoring a flock skimboarders, flying them around the world and what not, when you don't have products to sell back to skimboarders. You loose money.

You don't make money sponsoring contests. Its marketing dollars. Its about building brand loyalty. Especially in a sport this size. You loose money.

Speaking of brand loyalty, looks like you guys just shot yourself in the foot around here... but what do you care? Its just skimming right? The most unprofessional sport ever!

Speaking of un-professional... how about stealing photos from one of the most well known photographers in the sport? Pretty rad dudes! Super professional!

I know allyance had a sudden epiphany; to the effect that you were getting strung along for your money, with absolutly no worthwhile return on your investment. I wish I could feel sorry for you, but its your fault for not doing your homework before diving into it. And the fact that you cut and run like this at the biggest contest in the most over-hyped-P.O.S-all-talk-no-action-joke-of-a-contest-series EVER, is yet another fine testament to your un-professional and un-thought out approach to buisness.

Allyance, you guys are retards.

P.S. I'm so sad now... What am I going to do next time I go to cabo and I don't have a nice warm snowboarding jacket?! Sob.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OWNED

Buffet of Manliness

I think its ok for Allyance to take the money. They probably need it. I mean they only have one porsche 911 with snowboard roofracks on it, and a big allyance truck with tvs and shit all over it. You have to think on their end, they need the money more then skimboarding does.
    Ryan Wachter

[QUOTE=Aaron Peluso]analagous[/QUOTE]

Retired

Someone within the industry should write a "press release" and send it to Transworld Business.

Skimboarder

Hey I didn't get a chance to read everything, it has also probrably already been said, but we need a way to pull more peeps and sell more for contests obviously. Especially if the pros are only getting that. I am sure their hardwork and practice should definantly amount to ten times that.

Claire's Mom

Jesus $900 is paltry. We should all send James $1. The guy who won the Yolo County Open last week earned $1,800. The Yolo County Open, not 'the world championship'.

I'm gonna take up snowboarding just so I can boycott their lame asses.

Pro Skimboarder

stickers and shirts is a must......

-frack THE ALLYANCE-.....thats all that needs to be on it

Skimboarder

Sounds like we need to have some people put in place that are going to do their job in getting sponserships and promotions and stuff for the tourneys.

Skimboarder

Editorial:

I'm thinking that the reason Trigg was busy doing all this stuff is only because he took on this deal by starting up Fathom Industries. They were responsible for putting together the event for Allyance.

I think Allyance has a right to be pissed. They essentially bought part of 10th street bros earlier this year and planned to hype up skimming all over the X games with TV ads etc (info based on their transworld press release, which was more of a public relations announcement, slash, advertisement). Allyance was probably promised alot of things, and with the ultra non-professional atmosphere surrounding the skim industry, they realized that it is more the industry trying to suck money from corporate sponsors, and having nothing to give in return, than it is bringing them more customers and a positive ROI.

Here is the deal with skimboarding in its current state. You have a few people near the top of the industry that are making money. I'll go ahead and go out on a limb here, and say that Bill Bryan is taking everyone to the cleaners and then hanging you all out to dry. He was the one who swung the deal with Allyance to begin with, selling off a portion of 10th Street Bros then leveraging himself and his connections within the industry to bring them (Allyance) to the forefront with the Big Top skim Series. Very ballsy move, and very acceptable in the business world. Bill is in a very tight predicament. On one hand he wants to make as much money as possible for himself and his family. On the other, if it's not done right, the sport doesn't win, nor do the corporations that come into the sport. Then the money goes away completely and he is the only one left that benefited.

Allyance probably did their homework and said, we do not have the resources to put on these skimboarding events, nor do we know anything about the sport, so in order for us to go forward, we need to hire an outside events company to do this for us. Enter Fathom Industries. Formed by Victoria staffer Trigg Garner. I'm sure he and Bill had a few conversations of how this was going to go together. To this day, the only events that Fathom have booked have been those by Allyance. The question is, what will become of Fathom? As much as I like the idea of them being a player in growing the competetive side of skimboarding, I also see it as a conflict of interest with a moonlighting Victoria employee in charge.

In terms of the prize money issue. Both Bill and Jaime are Allyance team riders, so it is possible that they might be compensated seperately from the prize money down the road, away from the spotlight.......but I doubt it.

These are only my very removed observations and I would like for someone to set me straight if I'm out of line, or my viewpoints are way off base. Thank god for the edit feature.

S3

Skimboarder

Wow!! this is getting deep.

Allyance is a joke
    Last edited by Brew; 08-01-2006 at 09:24 AM.

Skimboarder

Like I said if they are not skimmers you can not trust them to really support this sport. There is not enough money to be made on their end.
    And I still say Beaker needs to give everyone some answers.

Heck--at our little local contest last summer we gave a 1000 dollars to the pro winner!!
    Mike Cole

Skimboarder

First of all, I do agree with your observation on the 10th street bros side of things and think almost exactly the same way as you have. However, your observations on Trigg's intentions with his company are beyond off and no where near the truth. If there is anyone that has tried to make skimboarding grow it is Trigg. If you could see how many hours he spends at home and on the road (all unpaid) you would think he is crazy. And to think that he would put Victoria above the sport is not true at all. Of course if Mo and Paulo are in a heat together he well cheer on Mo, but his integrity and loyalty lies within the sport and then the company. He has created Fathom as a way to separate himself from Victoria Skimboards so he can start running amateur contests and help out with any pro/ams that he can and he knows all about the theorists out there that will automatically categorize his name and Victoria if he is running anything. People like him and Aaron Peluso are some of the best things to happen with in this industry in a long time and in my opinion, they made it an industry and made it grow from a "step child" sport to a legitmate business. They are the people you should be praising right now regarding this sport, because they sacrifice their time and sometimes their own money for this sport and work together when it's needed in a manner that is beyond professional.

Skimboarder

So is there the possibility of a connection between the first and second place winners being on Allyance team when the prize money gets wacked?
    Mike Cole

king meep

Quote Originally Posted by SCNSkim
    People like him and Aaron Peluso are some of the best things to happen with in this industry in a long time and in my opinion, they made it an industry and made it grow from a "step child" sport to a legitmate business.
    i agree with that, and everything else you said. but, i think you need to add Bob Smetts to that list as well. Without him, the east coast skim scene would be so far behind than what it is now. those three guys are irreplaceable catalysts to our sport.
    "This is for everybody in this city who's had homes that used to be wet," he said after receiving the NFC championship trophy. "This is for the city of New Orleans." -Sean Payton

Skimboarder

Great point, I am sorry, I completly forgot him. Bob has done a tremendous amount, my mind was stuck over here at the moment.

Skimboarder

i talked with James before he got his award and he didnt seem to stoked or amped (as a now to be champ should have been). maybe he knew he was getting jacked. well we all know that that was the best skimming spectacle that many have seen in a long time. how often do you see 4 different board companies in a final? James put on a show that well deserved the title and skimmed hard all weekend which leads me to believe he had no idea untill the last moment he was getting screwed. if he was getting an extra bonus after the fact im sure he would have been much more chill and less intense during the contest knowing he was gonna be rewarded regardless of his placment.

just a thought.

king meep

also, could someone tell me what the deal is with allyance and joe bailey's photos?
    "This is for everybody in this city who's had homes that used to be wet," he said after receiving the NFC championship trophy. "This is for the city of New Orleans." -Sean Payton

Skimboarder

there are so many people who do all they can for the sport but do not have skim companies or money to put in--you don't hear enough about them.

And who put up--"the DL responds on page 4" ????
    Mike Cole

king meep

Quote Originally Posted by skimcentral
    there are so many people who do all they can for the sport but do not have skim companies or money to put in--you don't hear enough about them.
    true that, mike.

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by (S3)
    Editorial:

Here is the deal with skimboarding in its current state. You have a few people near the top of the industry that are making money. I'll go ahead and go out on a limb here, and say that Bill Bryan is taking everyone to the cleaners and then hanging you all out to dry. He was the one who swung the deal with Allyance to begin with, selling off a portion of 10th Street Bros then leveraging himself and his connections within the industry to bring them (Allyance) to the forefront with the Big Top skim Series. Very ballsy move, and very acceptable in the business world. Bill is in a very tight predicament. On one hand he wants to make as much money as possible for himself and his family. On the other, if it's not done right, the sport doesn't win, nor do the corporations that come into the sport. Then the money goes away completely and he is the only one left that benefited.

Allyance probably did their homework and said, we do not have the resources to put on these skimboarding events, nor do we know anything about the sport, so in order for us to go forward, we need to hire an outside events company to do this for us. Enter Fathom Industries. Formed by Victoria staffer Trigg Garner. I'm sure he and Bill had a few conversations of how this was going to go together. To this day, the only events that Fathom have booked have been those by Allyance. The question is, what will become of Fathom? As much as I like the idea of them being a player in growing the competetive side of skimboarding, I also see it as a conflict of interest with a moonlighting Victoria employee in charge.

S3

I dunno who you are, but you hit the nail right on the head bud. I KNOW FOR A FACT, there is larger number of people in the skim industry, riders and industry types alike, who think the exact same thing you do... just no one has the sack to say anything about it.

however in regards to allyance... I was thinking about this for a while this weekend, and I thought to myself, well yeah, allyance does have a good reason to be pissed. Then I snapped out of it and realized its their own fault for jumping in WITHOUT doing their homework. Stupid buisness move. No sympathy for them. Then they go and bank on the contest while backing out, steal photos from Joe and yada yada yada...

king meep

Quote Originally Posted by TheDL
    steal photos from Joe and yada yada yada...
    again, someone tell me what happened here. what did they do with joe's photos?

Administrator

S3. I dont think you are off base with anything you said. If anything I could only expand upon the things you said. But I dont want to get into a shit talking match.

I did want to say that while fathom was created by a moonlighting victoria employee to put on events, the sport needed someone to do it. Well before fathom came about I asked Trigg to step up and run the event as a contest director outside of his Victoria job. I thought of all the people who could have taken it over (and were making plans to), Trigg was definitely the best guy for the job. Bill had been touting Allyance "taking over skimboarding" for a little while by then and so they needed to have a conversation about it. I believe Bill didnt want to run any events because he was getting paid by allyance so well now that he didnt need the cash. So he proposed that Trigg not only take over the Aliso event, but west st and cabo as well. Trigg was to be paid for his efforts. The amount he was paid was not a lot. Looking back *I think* Allyance was supposed to take over many of the organizational duties such as entry forms and procuring sponsorships. Both of which sides seemed like complete jokes. Everyone seemed confused about the entry form process at some point and I dont think Allynance procured a single sponsor. Trigg got prizes. I got Shark, and its not even my event. The real problem seems that Trigg's company did not retain full contest director duties including handling the money. By and large I think Trigg did a great job and had he been in full control this wouldn't have happened. I don't know whos idea it was to let allyance handle the money. I can only guess.

p.s. I am always right.

Skimboarder

no wonder you have professor X as a avatar your his equal.

Skimboarder

Tourist

If you couldn’t guess already, this is from Victoria Skimboards. I am not going to try and make an official, informal press release type response or some but I wanted to give a quick statement regarding the contest this year. We are not going to bash Allyance as they came in to help the sport of skimboarding and we appreciate their effort. What I would like to say is that Victoria Skimboards put more into this event this year then we had planned. Victoria wanted to see the skim industry get together and keep the event alive which is why we decided to tone down our contribution to the event in 2006. In reality, Victoria Skimboards put almost as much into this event as prior years. Permits, insurance, added security (a new feature this year), judges, announcer, score keepers, heat director, trophies, set-up, tear down, etc. were all covered by Victoria Skimboards. On top of the monetary support, there was the errand running as well. Driving to get the permits (which according to Tex is not the easiest or quickest chore to do), calling the sponsors, arranging to get the product (driving, coordinating with someone to pick them up), etc. Most of these were taken care of during business hours and some were taken care of after the doors closed and we were on our way home.

I admire everyone’s sense of family for this sport and agree that your opinions should be voiced in a mature and honest manner. We just wanted to make sure that everyone knew what we put into making this event happen even though we were trying to tone it back

Administrator

thanks Vic. We all appreciate your continued efforts at the event. Next year we will try harder to take some more weight off your shoulders. We being everyone. Right everyone?

Skimboarder

yeah. im so gonna help out lol. im so in the loop its not even funny.

Administrator

you dont need to be in the loop to volunteer.

Thread Information