Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Skimboarder

that "get injected" mock ad is the funniest. isnt gas like $900 per gallon in laguna?
    splendore Vicskim.com Skimcentral.com HatfieldEnterprises.com Cory Lopez's Nekton Boardshop

CrookedEdge.com

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by mike g
    You know... these days $4000.00 is really not a lot of money.
    sadly, a company would make a $4000.00 decision that could
    possibly destroy them, or not....

Whats even more disturbing is that I watched a
    "Rock/Paper/Scissors World Championship" a few weeks ago
    on A&E or something with a grand prize of $50,000
    You guys are in the wrong sport! or have some really BAD promoters.
    Rock-Smashes-Scissors-fracker! Pay Me Now!
    Yea those type of events and tournaments are what piss me off. I always hated it when they have jump roping on tv and the team of three winners get over 30 grand... its quite sad that skimming cant pull anywhere near those numbers.

I saw the rock paper scissors thing, i coldnt believe the amount of money they were awarding for that shit.

Skimboarder

The difference is that those things (no matter how rediculous) are something everybody knows about. In the grand scheme of things, surfing is only interesting to those that live on the coasts....where do you think that puts skimboarding?

Skimboarder

In the same picture, only on a minescule scale.

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by dlux
    In the same picture, only on a minescule scale.
    Bingo. Face it, skimming will never take off because it's not universal enough. hell, there are really only a few dozen really good skim specific spots in the US, and those places will continue to thrive. I just don't see a mad rush for skimboarding to be the next big thing. Just too many outside forces working against it.

Other than the lack of big money for pros....I don't see a huge drawback to it staying small...as long as the core board makers can stay in business.

king meep

i don't agree with that. skimboarding has evolved to the point of using rails, ramps, and other creatively engineered obstacles away from beaches/waves. i've been doing a lot around here (louisiana) to expand the flatland aspect of the sport as much as i can. i love waveriding, but flatland is all that's possible here. that's going to be one of the determining factors on wether or not skimboarding takes off. people are going to have to learn to adapt it to their surroundings, which is what i have been working on with the people in my city for the past few months.
    "This is for everybody in this city who's had homes that used to be wet," he said after receiving the NFC championship trophy. "This is for the city of New Orleans." -Sean Payton

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by samcollett
    i don't agree with that. skimboarding has evolved to the point of using rails, ramps, and other creatively engineered obstacles away from beaches/waves. i've been doing a lot around here (louisiana) to expand the flatland aspect of the sport as much as i can. i love waveriding, but flatland is all that's possible here. that's going to be one of the determining factors on wether or not skimboarding takes off. people are going to have to learn to adapt it to their surroundings, which is what i have been working on with the people in my city for the past few months.
    That may be the case, but people aren't going to pay money to see some kids sliding on rails in a river or lake somewhere. Big shorebreak skimming like at Aliso or Cabo is the only chanve for that kind of draw, and I already explained my theory on that.

Compare street skating to flatland skimming and vert skating to wave skimming. Which one gets the bigger ooohs and ahhhs?

somb sucks

Skating is skating and skimming is skimming, they are different things. Of course skating is going to be more spectator friendly, it's been around longer and there's more possibilities.

And, I've heard some of Sam's ideas, there's a lot of potential for flat land skimming. What people need to learn t odo is think otuside of the box. Just be creative and create more aspects to both wave riding and flatland skimming that will allow it to take off. It probably won't ever get as big as surfing or skating, but it can still grow and be more accepted.

EDIT: For your skating reference, look at people in the sport of skating like Bob Burnquist and Danny Way. They are creative and just expand the sport beyond everything that is imagined. I mean, did anyone see these guys flying over a Mega Ramp? Did anyone expecta backflip or front flip pulled on a skateboard? How abotu the 900? And, what about the soon-to-be-laned 1080? It's all about creativity.
    Last edited by Luff; 08-04-2006 at 12:29 PM.
    watch the moving bodies as they react to the sound

king meep

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar
    That may be the case, but people aren't going to pay money to see some kids sliding on rails in a river or lake somewhere. Big shorebreak skimming like at Aliso or Cabo is the only chanve for that kind of draw, and I already explained my theory on that.

Compare street skating to flatland skimming and vert skating to wave skimming. Which one gets the bigger ooohs and ahhhs?

i actually compare flatland to street skating and wave skimming to vert skating. both get recognized for different reasons. skating is synonomous with huge vert ramps and tony hawk and many others doing things that blew people's minds. when i got my younger cousin into skating a few months ago, his mom looked at me and said, "i know you don't plan on putting him on those big halfpipey thingies they have on tv..." street skating has evolved to the level that very skating has only over the past few years. street skating is recognized more for it's technical variety, not unlike flatland skimming, whereas very skating is recognized more for the huge airs and spins, not unlike wave skimming. i believe that things are possible with flatland skimboarding that people would pay to see. some of the shop owners i have talked to believe things are possible with flatland skimboarding that people would pay to see, and that would redefine the possibilities on a skimboard. it's all about adapting to what is around you, like i said before. none of this is meant to be offensive, just my personal point of view.
    "This is for everybody in this city who's had homes that used to be wet," he said after receiving the NFC championship trophy. "This is for the city of New Orleans." -Sean Payton

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Let Fire Fall
    Skating is skating and skimming is skimming, they are different things. Of course skating is going to be more spectator friendly, it's been around longer and there's more possibilities.

And, I've heard some of Sam's ideas, there's a lot of potential for flat land skimming. What people need to learn t odo is think otuside of the box. Just be creative and create more aspects to both wave riding and flatland skimming that will allow it to take off. It probably won't ever get as big as surfing or skating, but it can still grow and be more accepted.

I'm not comparing skimming to skating. I'm comparing street skating to vert skating and flatland skimming to wave skimming.

Non skimmers are never going to be blown away by flatland skimming. They are more likely to be impressed by seeing some good wave riding though.

I'm not saying inland skimming isn't impressive, but it's never going to be appreciated by those outside the sport (on a large level).

Skimboarder

i actually compare flatland to street skating and wave skimming to vert skating. both get recognized for different reasons. skating is synonomous with huge vert ramps and tony hawk and many others doing things that blew people's minds. street skating has evolved to the level that very skating has only over the past few years. street skating is recognized more for it's technical variety, not unlike flatland skimming, whereas very skating is recognized more for the huge airs and spins, not unlike wave skimming. i believe that things are possible with flatland skimboarding that people would pay to see. some of the shop owners i have talked to believe things are possible with flatland skimboarding that people would pay to see, and that would redefine the possibilities on a skimboard. it's all about adapting to what is around you, like i said before. none of this is meant to be offensive, just my personal point of view.
    That was my point. How much exposure does street skating get on TV during the x-games? How much attention does vert skating get? The simple answer is that vert gets a shitload more attention because it's visually more impressive to the untrained eye.

somb sucks

I guess you jus tworded it wrong initially then, "Compare street skating to flatland skimming and vert skating to wave skimming. Which one gets the bigger ooohs and ahhhs?"

Like I said before, you never know. Some of these flatlanders are creative. It could very well be recognized with some work. Probably not in the near future, but it is possible, for sure.

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Let Fire Fall
    I guess you jus tworded it wrong initially then, "Compare street skating to flatland skimming and vert skating to wave skimming. Which one gets the bigger ooohs and ahhhs?"

Like I said before, you never know. Some of these flatlanders are creative. It could very well be recognized with some work. Probably not in the near future, but it is possible, for sure.
    Again, I'm sure they can do amazing stuff too, but I just don't see the general public being all that impressed with it.

somb sucks

That was my point. How much exposure does street skating get on TV during the x-games? How much attention does vert skating get? The simple answer is that vert gets a shitload more attention because it's visually more impressive to the untrained eye.
    That's very true. For me, street is more impressive, but that's because I've been skating on and off for a good five to six years. I know a lot about the sport.

Also, the "untrained eye" yo use your words, basically learn what they know from TV and video games (where else would the see it?). TV shows mainly vert skating, and video games show impossible street skating. So, i na way, if they were t osee real street skating, they probably wouldn't be impressed because of the vision video games have put in their head. That's only my opinion though. I could be wrong.

king meep

Non skimmers are never going to be blown away by flatland skimming. They are more likely to be impressed by seeing some good wave riding though.

I'm not saying inland skimming isn't impressive, but it's never going to be appreciated by those outside the sport (on a large level).
    you would be very surprised at the reaction i have gotten from shop owners around here comparing flatland to wave skimming.

Skimboarder

Flatland is getting skimboarding exposure too. Not on the coast maybe but inland, sure its helping the sport so keep up the good work.

Skimboarder

you would be very surprised at the reaction i have gotten from shop owners around here comparing flatland to wave skimming.

Shop owners aren't the dollar spending masses though.

Again, I'm not bashing flatland, and I think it's great there are people like you pushing the sport, but thats not the argument here.

king meep

Shop owners aren't the dollar spending masses though.

Again, I'm not bashing flatland, and I think it's great there are people like you pushing the sport, but thats not the argument here.
    i understand that. i was just talking about the owners of shops i have talked to in awe of the fact that skimboarding has evolved to using rails, ramps, etc. if they begin carrying skimboarding products, holding demos, and spreading the word, then the skimboarding industry profits and grows. this would contribute to the sport as a whole. once you get boards into shops and in circulation, you open up the market for traction, clothes, and accessories. i'm not sure about where you live, but the dollar spending masses around here are guys wanting to get involved in extreme sports. i understand that you're not bashing.

Skimboarder

Im going to, at the moment, have to be on undertheradar's side. Its understandable that flatland skimming is evolving into rails and ramps and all that jazz but what other tricks and things are being done. There is only so much you can do on a skimboard because you have to run to get your speed. So good luck throwing backflips and stuff like that. And tricks like those are the only things, I think, that are going to grab peoples attention.

And I also agree that I dont think wave riding is ever going to get big because of the lack of beaches there are to actually wave ride at. If anything flatland, in my opinon, will become bigger than the wave riding scene just because of the number of places it can be done... which is pretty much anywhere.

king meep

i believe that "new" things grab peoples' attention more than anything. this is why i think skimboarding can be expanded around here. people are so eager to try something new, that they would grasp the idea of skimboarding on rails and such, because it's so innovative and different than what they already know as skimboarding, and do nothing but progress. with said progression comes the demand for new and improved products, which benefits the industry as a whole. i've said this a couple times already, but it's really the determining factor of the expansion of skimboarding. adapt it to what is available to you. not everyone is lucky enough to live in california, florida, or near other skimmable beaches.

Skimboarder

I am just glad I was a thread starter to a 13 page monster!!! *Kyle attempts an Aaron size fist pump but fails and goes into a coma*

Skimboarder

hahahahaha, no one can match the peluso fist pump
    [QUOTE=RavesIsBack]you know who i hate?

people that put that an interest is listening to music

its like, who the frack doesnt listen to music? I mean the deaf obviously but thats just fracked up. Thats an interest that should be assumed. Give us something new like my interests are taken women's virginity, chasing random asians, and throwing food at people while yelling. Those are legitimate interests.[/QUOTE]

Skimboarder

When i'm at school and on the computers and looking at some flatland videos just to see what they can do all my mates went wow and stuff like that at all the basic stuff and they are not into skimboarding at all some of them not into any sports even. So i think flatland could grow a lot.

Thread Information