Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.

Hybrid View

Skimboarder

Smile Maui Bound - New Airline Baggage Fees

So, I'm going to Maui in 11 days. I'll be staying there for 15 days. 8 days on Kaanapali Beach (Whaler ground floor), and 7 more in a house in N. Kihei. I am super-stoked for this vacation, my work can be (and currently is) pretty stressful so getting half a month away is going to be nice!

We are taking our 3 kids (5 years, 2 years, and 4 months- all girls), and a Nanny. So I'll be surrounded by estrogen, as usual. We are meeting some friends and family at the house the second week. I have put a post up on Sandslider.com and those guys have been pretty helpful, although that message board doesn't see near the amount of activity this one does.

We bought our plane tickets before May 1 (Alaska Air via American Air using our credit card miles) and since then most airlines changed their baggage rules. I have searched the whole SOMB and internet about bringing a skimboard on the plane. I plan on using the whole "Its a boogie board" route, but the regulations for the airlines we are flying, state that the boogie board must meet the 62" rule (length + width + height must be less than 62"). Clearly my polyvac is bigger than that, but even my daughters 40" boogie board is over the 62" limit.

Have any of you flown since the new "crackdown" on baggage has occurred? Did you have to pay the $100 fee? I mean shit, the skimboard costs $350 and it will cost me $200 to take it back and forth on the plane if they enforce that rule.

Any tips on skimming Maui (other than go to Makena)? I am just so ready to be able to skim without a wetsuit on, on nice close-in shorebreak.

Skimboarder

62" total? for all of the dimensions? That's rediculous....I'd try to say it's a boogy board anyway and just see what happens.

Your bad at grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by Damon Point
    Have any of you flown since the new "crackdown" on baggage has occurred? Did you have to pay the $100 fee? I mean shit, the skimboard costs $350 and it will cost me $200 to take it back and forth on the plane if they enforce that rule.
    I did and it wasn't a problem, even with my huge Exile coffin boardbag. That was flying American, fyi.
    ForeverSkim - Editor/Owner/Art Director/Etc
    20/30north Studios - Print/Web/Motion

Skimboarder

Originally Posted by : BEACHBUM

first off, to be safe and prevent damage to your board you want to protect the rails and nose/tail. Shove them in your board bag and line it with your towels, wetsuits, large bubbled bubble wrap, even foam padding (such as old pool noodles, or some home depot padding for poles and such...). the thicker and harder to zip, the better. Ive watched the guys chuck our boards onto the plane and heard too many horror stories.

Second, check into the costs of carrying a "skimboard" with your specific airline. Go to your airline's main webpage and find the oversized luggage section. Most have an "oversize baggage charge." there are some tricks to beating some airlines, but sometimes they are strict with their rules and youll have to pay a bad $60-100 fee each way. I KNOW that when flying Contentinental they state that a "a skimboard, speed board, boogieboard" has NO EXTRA CHARGE and will count as 1 of your 2 allowed check-in bags.

On the other hand, DELTA makes you pay $100 (EACH WAY) for anything over 62 linear inches (length width and height added up)...a skimboard is over that...but a lot of people get around their policy. Heres some tips used in the past that people have used to beat probably every airline by now.

Some airlines allow boogie boards for free...tell them your skim is a "boogie-board" flat out and see if that works. a lot of employees wont know the difference between a skim and a body board, and given that the airlines policy allows boogie boards, then you could be straight.

When you feel like youre gunna get stuck with the $100 each way charge, you can argue with them and question to see their policy in text and where it mentions a "skimboard" specifically (make sure you do prior research and assure it doesnt). tell them its not fair that you should have to pay for carrying a skimboard if its not specifically in text. The clerk may just say "whatever" and let you get by because she doesnt feel like argueing, or so may be strict and measure your shit, find its over 62 linear inches, and charge you...

Now...how to beat the system if they are smart enough to know its not a boogieboard and they have a specific policy for skimboards...youre at the hard part...convincing them you arent paying $200 to fly your board there and back. A couple possible ideas (in no order) are...

1) try to catch them on their policy and tell them their policy states 62 inches in LENGTH(skimboard is under that) and not LINEAR and see if the go with it.
    2) tell them you called in earlier and "some lady" said it was fine for your skimboard and that you wouldnt be charged. you dont have the money and its bullshit you should not have to pay when told you didnt have to. Again, they may not care to argue and let you get by, or toss you the "sorry" card and tell ya the lady was misinformed.
    3) tell them you traveled numerous times round trip with their airline and they let you thru fine in the past everytime. Make sure you nail it to them hard with places youve flown with their airline and that not once on the 21 trips to contests that you have never been charged.

Ok, so all those failed, and you have to pay the $100 (or whatever the oversize fee is) at check-in when departing. How can you save at least some of your money??? If they go to charge you at check-in on your return flight, LIE and say they didnt charge you on the way to your destination (and possibly throw in any of the tips/tricks i have given above) Same to say, if you didnt have to pay on the way, tell the truth and tell them its crap that you should have to pay on the way home.

GOOD LUCK! its really up to what airline you fly and how clueless/laid back the check-in person is. Go for the least official looking/chill/dumbest person if possible.
    ))

Skimboarder

Yeah, I think looking for the dumbest check in person is probably going to be my best bet.

The Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by Damon Point
    Yeah, I think looking for the dumbest check in person is probably going to be my best bet.
    that and a big ol smile. turn the charm on.
    Purple Snakes

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Mapdash
    that and a big ol smile. turn the charm on.
    Yeah good point, I'll have my wife or the nanny do it, that route would probably work better. Low-cut top, and big smile. Then of course we need to make sure the person taking our bags is a heterosexual male.

Skimboarder

yeah, it really depends on the person you get, some are assholes and will want you to open your bag, others won't want to frack with anything more than they have to and take you word for it. there is a clear difference between a surfboard and a skimboard, stress that and hopefully no biggie.

that whole dementions thing is bullshit I think, 62" L+W+H?! anything smaller than that I could hide in my asshole to begin with!
    "I could never stab anyone, i mean i'm pretty bad with a Capri Sun."

Pro Youtuber

I liked Big Beach and the nude beach
    SOMB's Brett Favre

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse
    I liked Big Beach and the nude beach
    I didn't know that was a nude beach next to big beach until i walked over and A dude that look like Santa clause was bare reading his newspaper..I guess Christmas come early for me that day
    I see that you are a fagot because you are riding that fixie.

Pro Youtuber

Quote Originally Posted by SolvenCarlos
    I didn't know that was a nude beach next to big beach until i walked over and A dude that look like Santa clause was bare reading his newspaper..I guess Christmas come early for me that day
    yea, I cant go to nude beaches...I get boners
    SOMB's Brett Favre

Skimboarder

I flew to the Bahamas in June on Delta with my humongous Vic XL in a bag, and the only thing the guy said was,"This isn't a surfboard is it?" That was it. I'm going to L.A. in August and hopefully I'll have the same result. Good luck dude.
    Smooth Bradley G

Title

and say u are hiv positive

Skimboarder

I flew southwest once and they asked me "is that a skimboard?" i said yes and they said "ok, here's our protection plan".. no charge..

from what i read about.. i dont think most airlines charge for skimboards.. but i think a few will be dicks about it so just call in and ask before anything..

if you didnt notice... derek said he also flew w/ AA and didnt get charged.. that's a good sign
    Uh, well she started hyperventilate, and then she reached for a hit of what she thought was an oxygen tank... Turned out to be a helium container from pediatrics. Then she screamed [high helium voice]'I'll kill you bitches!!!'..
    which frankly we all thought was hilarious.

Ginger

i've had these pics sitting around for a while...

this is how i pack my boards for flight. this was from the most recent trip to cabo a month ago, and i didn't get charged any extra. also didn't get any damage to the boards from the flight

it may be overkill, but i'd rather spend 20 minutes packing 3 boards than have them get beat up
    National College Skim Association- Founder/President
    Extreme Outdoor Supply- Team Rider
    Island Water Sports- Team Rider

Title

the plane could dump the cargo and it would still be fine. Well done

Skimboarder

I have been flying to outer-islands since the crack down and was charged when my board was in a boardbag. So the way I got around that is I put it in a cardboard box and was not charged. Good luck!

Aloha~
    Sandslider.com - Owner
    Hawaiiskimboardleague.com - Director

Skimboarder

Default went there last week

i went to maui last week
    AMAZING
    go to big beach and napili(not sure how to spell it)

at napili is where i slammed super hard hit a sand bump on last run and sprained my shoulder on my 3rd day there.

but to got my boards there (2 wood and 2 foam) i used a garment bag(suit bag)
    and i have a Large Vic. I got them and they had no dings or scratches so that works

these are some pics i took of the locals at Big Makena
    skim, sponge, skurf

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...d36d7bc7c8.jpg
    http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...6807297d0e.jpg
    http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...328ed11b51.jpg
    http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...c04d738bd0.jpg
    http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...730868b1b2.jpg
    http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...98ac786d5b.jpg

Pro Youtuber

Um, holy shizit on the 2nd to last pic...God I miss that place. We stayed at a resort right near Big Beach/Makena (diamond something)
    SOMB's Brett Favre

ಠ_ಠ

Nice pics. Second one is a real big air.

Skimboarder

I've gone to Maui the past 2 winters (once for spring break and one for xmas break the following year) and only got charged on the return flight (with AA). I usually fly out of PA or VA and as long as you tell them its not a surfboard they won't charge you. In Maui however I've gotten charged 100 both times on the return flights. I think next time I'll try the cardboard box idea or just ship it back using mailboxes unlimited because fedex and ups wont ship a skim bag. One of the hotels infront of Kaanapali area also has a decent A shaped break from what I can remember. I spent the majority of my time at Big beach or up near Pia'a at Balwin Beach(i believe thats spelled right.) Hope this helps.
    VB

Thread Information