Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    br00tal m3t4l d00d

Default Guitar Center Is Gay.

2 years ago I went into guitar center in west palm and was looking to buy a jackson. I ended up buying the jackson DXMG Dinky with the EMG-HZ pickups. Well, the guy who was showing it to me told me that they were active pickups and I believed him completely. 2 years later I am searching around for new pickups for the guitar becaues IMO, they sound like poop. I came across my pickups, and realized THEY WERE PASSIVE. That was basically the main reason I bought the guitar. Now I realize why the battery in it never died..... What a fracking prick. Needless to say, I will never go back to some big chain music store like that simply because they put any asshole out there on the floor. Now I am more expirienced with the guitar world, so I won't fall for a dumbass thing like that agian.

Sorry it was so long. I am giving refund for the time it took you to read that if you didn't enjoy. Sorry.

Any guitarists have any suggestions for some new pickups? I was thinking some Dimarzo evolutions.... I want something super heavy.

Pelusowhore

if you want a super heavy/metal tone, EMGs are what you are looking for... but keep in mind, EMGz sound best if the body is mahogony I believe.

What sort of stuff do you play?

and Evolutions are extremely sensitive, they pick up every little sound you do on them, so keep that in mind if your style is a little sloppy.

and which positions?

br00tal m3t4l d00d

Yah, I am a sloppy player.

I mostly play thrash stuff but ocasionally I put it in drop D and maybe will do some heavier lamb of god stuff. What EMGs do you think? The 81 85 duo? (seems to be popular)

Pelusowhore

What is the body of your guitar made of?

and 81/85's seem the most popular, Kirk Hammet uses them and other's do

I don't exactly play the styles of music EMGs were meant for, so I don't think I could help you too much on them.

If you want your sound extra heavy, invest in a better amp and maybe a pedal or two.

br00tal m3t4l d00d

it says its basswood. whatever the frack that is.... haha

what are most good guitars made out of? Also, aren't ceramic pickups good for metal? because I am buying a guitar for all my blues and jazz, so I can relaly go crazy and make my jackson into a monster that was brewed in the cauldrin(sp?) of hell. \m/

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

My piezo pickups on my Schecter C-1 E/A fracking own, bottom line.

Pelusowhore

Mahogony is what EMGs are meant for. EMGs are best when the body is mahogony.

Basswood isn't too good for metal to tell you the truth, it has a very warm sound

Mahogony has a deep and bassy sound.

The wood of the guitar totally depends on the style of music they are meant for. Most strats are made of Alder, Les Pauls are Mahogony, and Ibanez tends to use Basswood, since it has a nice musical tone, which is good for shred.

edit: Yea ceramic pickups are good for metal. They are meant for distortion, so the cleans sound like crap.
    Last edited by Khoi; 07-26-2006 at 08:10 PM.

br00tal m3t4l d00d

Thats what this guitar was advertised for. like some cheesey ass "this guitar will make you feel the need of shred!" But thank for that very useful info. When I am buying a guitar, is there a way to tell what the body is made of?

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

it kills me that anyone would not want a warm sound. Just like the people that prefer solid state over valve... insane.

Pelusowhore

when you buy a guitar, I guess you just have to research it. Or you could ask the salespeople there, but with your experience, you might not want to trust them

br00tal m3t4l d00d

I use tubes.... I hate solid state. It just seems to me that this guitar isnt very heavy. Like the tone I have on my recordings is terrible. Just go to the site in my sig and have a gander...

br00tal m3t4l d00d

haha yah, well I am goin to stick with my local shop now. I take lessons there and I am in teh process of buying a new G&L from them. So they wouldn't try to frack me over. Plus, I am not as unexpirienced as I was before...

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by ZapBulletRider
    it kills me that anyone would not want a warm sound. Just like the people that prefer solid state over valve... insane.
    as corny as it is.. i have to wonder what pickups santana uses. There are some tones i would definatly like to get closer to recreating i guess for somereason ive never seriously looked into upgrading picups..

Pelusowhore

Santana has his own signature pickups he uses in his PRS

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

that's not corny, the main reason I got the Schecter C-1 E/A is because I loved Trey Anastasio's tone, and part of it is the fact that he plays a hollowbody electric (that isn't big and clunky). The C-1 E/A is the closest (besides the hollowbody PRS'es, which are way out of my price range) thing on the market to his guitar, with a couple differences: his is a custom Koa wood body, and it's full hollowbody instead of semi. I also got a tubescreamer and modded it to specs very similar to his. Nothing wrong w/ admiring a guitarist's tone! Too bad my playing isn't worthy of wiping his playing's ass.
    Last edited by ZapBulletRider; 07-26-2006 at 08:25 PM.

Skimboarder

lovely. i forgot he had that signature series going.. i like his sig guitar as well.. will have to play it sometime.

Pelusowhore

That's why people buy signature guitars. Though they cost about $1000 more....

br00tal m3t4l d00d

I like zappa's tone. :-) and I LOVE malmsteen's tone. Easily one of my favs...

I want to try his sig strat so god damn bad.... see what the scalloped frets are relaly like.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

his sig PRS is nutworthy. Well, any PRS is nutworthy.

br00tal m3t4l d00d

Quote Originally Posted by Khoi
    That's why people buy signature guitars. Though they cost about $1000 more....
    didn't that fag from good charlotte have his own sig PRS?

SOMB Veteran

A lot of guys in the drum section (only section I'd be in) at our Guitar Center are queer, think they're so cool playing the sets and shit. And then I'm come set a beat on the electric sets and rip it up. And they're like hey can you turn that down, hey can you play lighter, just trying to get me to stop...
    thenextskimboarder.wordpress.com

Pelusowhore

I'm really curious how a scalloped guitar feels like too... atleast the whole fretboard I mean. I played Steve Vai's signature JEM, and the last few frets were scalloped. The strings felt really solid when I played over those frets.... it was weird

br00tal m3t4l d00d

Thats another guitar I want to try and play.

br00tal m3t4l d00d

Guitar center is a cancer on the face of music.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

well here it's either Guitar Center, where they let you get whatever you want and play to your heart's content, or Alpha Music, where you have to ask assistance and they basically want to demo it for you, and when they do let you play they hover over you and make you turn it down. I love guitar center.

Pelusowhore

I'd like to have a guitar center here.... the closest music store is Seminole Music, and it's good and everything, cool people who work there, but it isn't that big and doesn't have too much selection. Then there is Sam Ash, that is about 30-45 mins away, I would love to go there, but I can't drive, and my parents don't want to drive me there either. Life without a license sucks

Skimboarder

interesting zbr.. i guess i think its a little corny becuase tone is as much in the fungers as anyhting else.. and if i jumped carlos on stage and started playing though his gig im sure i still wouldnt have his tone.
    Ive been looking at picking up a semi hollow body for a while..but i think i may just invest in better pickups.

br00tal m3t4l d00d

well yah, i take that statement back. I love guitar center for that fact. You can fracking rock the frack out in teh guitar secion, while yoru friend is on the drums, and your other friend is on bass and have a whole god damn concert, and they wouldn't care. I forgot about that part. My local music shop is pretty cool too, but we all know eacvhother and they trust me and shit s its a pretty laid back feel in there too which is good..

br00tal m3t4l d00d

Quote Originally Posted by Khoi
    I'd like to have a guitar center here.... the closest music store is Seminole Music, and it's good and everything, cool people who work there, but it isn't that big and doesn't have too much selection. Then there is Sam Ash, that is about 30-45 mins away, I would love to go there, but I can't drive, and my parents don't want to drive me there either. Life without a license sucks
    my friend lives over there and he used to take lessons at seminole. I went in there while he was having em a few years back and it was pretty cool. bigger than my local store...

Skimboarder

I haaate the volume battles you get engaged in though when your playing elcetrics at gc.. last time i was there i was doing this jazzy little solo but loud enough so i could hear it comfortably.. then some hack cranks up this shittty distorted solidsate and starts mashing triplets like five feet from me.

br00tal m3t4l d00d

lmao. Thats great. OR when you get the older middle-aged guys with teh backwards hat, pick up the american strat and plug that sucker in through the ONLY marshall fullstack in the whole store and start playing some e minor pentatonic shit that normally sounds alright, but they manage to completly destroy it.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Quote Originally Posted by shabadahbadoo
    interesting zbr.. i guess i think its a little corny becuase tone is as much in the fungers as anyhting else.. and if i jumped carlos on stage and started playing though his gig im sure i still wouldnt have his tone.
    Ive been looking at picking up a semi hollow body for a while..but i think i may just invest in better pickups.
    if you can test drive a Schecter C1 E/A, try it out. It's got piezo pickups built into the bridge in addition to the humbuckers, and a switch to play either humbuckers, mixed, or just piezo. The piezo sounds like a trebly acoustic, but if you plug it into an acoustic amp, it sounds very full. Mix the two and you get a very full sound. It also comes w/ a Y cable that outputs only the humbuckers on one and only the piezo on the other, so you can plug it into 2 amps at once (like an acoustic amp, for instance) and seperate the sound. The look is very similar to a PRS with a more squashed base (you know PRS'es have that nice round base). It's got that nice semi-hollow sound w/ out being big and fat like many hollowbody electrics, and the neck is thin like a strat. I think I will eventually get better humbuckers for it though.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=12

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by megadeth600606
    My local music shop is pretty cool too, but we all know eacvhother and they trust me and shit s its a pretty laid back feel in there too which is good..
    yeah there is some things you just cant get from a chain.. i love my local shop.. Ive even sat in with the owner at one of his gigs.. thats how chill and friendly it is. Its really nice to have a place that doesnt expect you to buy somehthing everytime you stop by. just that fact makes me want to buy something like picks or a tuner to thank them..

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Quote Originally Posted by shabadahbadoo
    I haaate the volume battles you get engaged in though when your playing elcetrics at gc.. last time i was there i was doing this jazzy little solo but loud enough so i could hear it comfortably.. then some hack cranks up this shittty distorted solidsate and starts mashing triplets like five feet from me.
    you just described every trip I've ever made to GC

Pelusowhore

what is worse are those 11 year olds who think they can play, plug it into a mesa with a les paul, and jam out with powerchords......

and ZBR, does that guitar start to static and give a lot of feedback and noise at high gain? I know must hollow/semihollow bodies do.

Thread Information