Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.

View Poll Results: BFF or FFF

Voters
234. You may not vote on this poll
  • BFF

142 60.68%
  • FFF

92 39.32%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ejb2591
    what if i dont plan on going pro?
    its like I said, front foot is always a little less efficient. if its not woth it to you to change to be a little faster, then more power to you.

it has nothing to do with going pro. we are talking about whats best here, regardless of skill level. that means transfering whatever top running speed and athleticism you have into board speed in the most efficient manner possible.
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner
    United Skim Tour - Director & President

hermit crab

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Peluso
    its like I said, front foot is always a little less efficient. if its not woth it to you to change to be a little faster, then more power to you.

it has nothing to do with going pro. we are talking about whats best here, regardless of skill level. that means transfering whatever top running speed and athleticism you have into board speed in the most efficient manner possible.
    yeah, i dont want to sound ignorant but, just doesnt matter that much to me. i can think of the physics and imagine that it is indeed more efficient for back foot but. just not that concerned.
    naggers gonna nag -gandhi mahatma

Administrator

I can certainly understand that.
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner
    United Skim Tour - Director & President

Pelusowhore

I drop front first and I'm from Florida. I've tried to swtich to back foot, but it's just ridiculously hard and feels soooo awkward

Skimboarder

most skimmers who's words count on here, pros, etc, are biased towards backfoot drops, thats the way it started in solag or whatev.,but theres no reason backfoot is more efficient scientifically. bye.
    Who left Bob on the Approach?!!

you's a frankenstein

you're dumb
    Zap Skimboards-Team Rider
    Skim City-Team Rider

[QUOTE=samcollett;1187852]Oh look, Dzan's got something condescending to say again.[/QUOTE]

Pro Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by GREYskim
    most skimmers who's words count on here, pros, etc, are biased towards backfoot drops, thats the way it started in solag or whatev.,but theres no reason backfoot is more efficient scientifically. bye.
    not true grey.
    Alley-Oop - Rider
    Victoria Skimboards- Rider
    FREAK Traction- Rider

Skimboarder

Back foot/California

Yeah basically what they said, the transfer of weight is going forward if your back foot goes on then your front foot following it.

And why would font foot first be better for water drops? The same principle would apply...

Skimboarder

Backfoot, Not from NC at all
    [B][SIZE="4"]252[/SIZE][/B] boys and gals

Jack Saunders

Pro Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by GREYskim

Is this a joke, or are you a moron? I used to get on front foot first, i changed and my skimming improved drastically. "that is how it started in solag" did you pull that out of your ass or do you have a degree in solagology?

edit:just saw you were from florida, you MUST know a shitload about skimboarding in south laguna

you's a frankenstein

how long did it take you to change noogie
    Skim City-Team Rider

[QUOTE=samcollett;1187852]Oh look, Dzan's got something condescending to say again.[/QUOTE]

Pro Skimboarder

to be completely comfortable, about a week, but in the long run it is completely worth it.........I can run pretty fast and the drop i had was giving me none of the speed or momentum that i generated........

you's a frankenstein

ok thanks. im gonna try to change it. Do you think it would be more or less difficult to switch for someone that cross steps?
    Skim City-Team Rider

Skimboarder

Sooooo, getting on back foot first is better? Because you go faster?Maybe I'll switch, because i just pulled a muscle getting on front foot first, or maybe it was something else (not stretching). But I will learn it so i can decide which one I like better for myself.
    Micah Cooper
    Syndrome Skimboards - Team Rider
    Run Drop Slide- Team Rider

Pro Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by lil chuck
    ok thanks. im gonna try to change it. Do you think it would be more or less difficult to switch for someone that cross steps?
    changed from cross stepping as well chuck ma boy, you should look into it

you's a frankenstein

ive tried, but gave up after like 5 minutes. i know domke did it too but was that harder than changing front foot to back foot or easier
    Skim City-Team Rider

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by paddymack
    is that a joke?
    no paddymack, i would still be dropping back foot first if it wasnt for how i slam my back foot down and most of all when i dropped back foot first i one day missed with my back and got somewhat on with my front and tore tendons... so i have no reason unless someone will teach me,to drop back foot

Skimboarder

Front.. florida. I guess ill find out this summer if it makes a big difference in cali.
    Alex Fanaian
    FAU Skim Club

Banned

For all who's goofy and who's regular?

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Peluso
    If that is true, you arent running full speed to begin with.
    I definitely am. Maybe this summer I'll have some vid to post. I can promise my run/mount/sideslip is much better looking than what I can actually do on the wave I've been skimming since 91, I've got the drop down. Just don't have a whole lot of wave skills b/c I've only really focused on that for the last few years.

I wonder if back foot matters more on the west coast, because I've never encountered a situation where I fell or lost balance because I drop front foot, and I can get as far out as anybody I've seen in va beach short of a couple guys, such as Frank who's sponsored by Exile

That being said I have a friend who I'm teaching how to skim now, and I'm teaching him to drop back foot first. I don't have the traditional style because it was already over a decade established before I even found out there was a "right" way to do it, so at that point I didn't see a reason to change it. I drop front foot and I hold the board right hand back & I'm goofy, from what I can tell that seems to be backwards from the recommended style, but it works well for me. But I figure since he's a clean slate I may as well teach him the "right" way.
    Last edited by ZapBulletRider; 05-10-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Pro Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Chong
    no paddymack, i would still be dropping back foot first if it wasnt for how i slam my back foot down and most of all when i dropped back foot first i one day missed with my back and got somewhat on with my front and tore tendons... so i have no reason unless someone will teach me,to drop back foot

so now that you drpop front first, you pull a leap of faith onto the board leaving your backfoot to hopefully catch up with the back of the board and still do the splits....i used to eat shit and fall forward so many times...and i cant even remember the last time i did the splits not tht i have my BFF drop...and like noogie said, it takes time...its all about timeing and getting it in your head...

like i said, i switched i was FFF dropping when i got out here. and when i changed to back foot..my style got better wave selection as better, transition from wetsand to water was better as well.
    Alley-Oop - Rider
    Victoria Skimboards- Rider
    FREAK Traction- Rider

Skimboarder

so california, i'm a pirate so step on back peg first, then i follow up with my left good leg. everyone's always laughin at me peg.
    Last edited by 450rider; 05-11-2008 at 12:56 AM.

you's a frankenstein

that was so far away from being funny
    Skim City-Team Rider

Skimboarder

backfoot, florida
    http://vimeo.com/channels/candlelight
    www.FAUSKIM.com

Skimboarder

I can do both but I am better at front for the reason I can do it better when it is choppy but I like back foot for when its clean and a nice slope. Although I am trying to change completely. Oh, and I am from the Gulf of Florida .
    Abner Albino - Professional Person

hermit crab

what is cross stepping?

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by paddymack
    so now that you drpop front first, you pull a leap of faith onto the board leaving your backfoot to hopefully catch up with the back of the board and still do the splits....i used to eat shit and fall forward so many times...
    haha , sorry but i have never pulled a leap of faith or had any problems except when i was first learning, and that was from kicking the board when i did not let it drop entirely...

i find it very efficient, but when i drop back foot.. less efficient. maybe when i come out there i'll see the difference and stick it out

Skimboarder

what is cross stepping?
    say you run left handed and you have to jump over following the board backwards for backside, i think thats how to explain it?

you's a frankenstein

what is cross stepping?
    i ride goofy but i hold the board regular. i have to do a quick 180 to get on the board.
    Skim City-Team Rider

hermit crab

yeah thats what i thought, thanks.

Skimboarder

I drop back foot first, but front foot would be nice in some situations. Cali.
    frack orcas.

Skimboarder

Reading all the arguments on this thread made me want to change from front foot to backfoot. But there are times when (at least in florida) it's much easier to get front foot. I have a no step drop which makes it a lot quicker to get on the board.
    Alex Fanaian
    FAU Skim Club

you's a frankenstein

i no step also. it helps for deep water drops
    Skim City-Team Rider

SOMB Veteran

most people from the gulf area drop front first because most of our spots dont have a clean white wash/slope combo, so we have to rush to get on the board more

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by lil chuck
    i no step also. it helps for deep water drops
    Yeah chuck thats why i am debating whether to change it or not. I tryed it in the carpet and it's not too bad. It feels a lot more smoother (from the few time that i got it down).
    Alex Fanaian
    FAU Skim Club

Thread Information