Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.

View Poll Results: BFF or FFF

Voters
234. You may not vote on this poll
  • BFF

142 60.68%
  • FFF

92 39.32%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Skimboarder

what actually makes the difference is from what angle u get on the board, usually front footers get on more on the side than back footeres. this is where the loss of speed comes from. the more directly behind the board you come on, the better.
    DEWEY ADAM LEBLANC
    NCSA - Director
    ISLAND WATER SPORTS - Team Captain
    BIRD SKIMBOARDS - Team Captain

Pro Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by GnarKill1029
    uhhh what?
    i dont see how getting on with my back foot will make me a better skimmer
    i get out pretty easily with my front foot.
    what is backfoot gonna change that will make me a better skimmer?

nevermind dude, do what you want i was just making suggestions.......there has to be a reason why almost all the top skimmers do it right .....right?

p.s. did we have an e-fight? is that why you are giving me this whiny baby attitude.....i am trying to help and you just continue to play the ignorance card

brooklyn

dude what are you talking about
    i ASKED you what the advantages are to doing back foot first because i DONT know what it wwill change
    you on the other hand probably do, because you are pro.
    lets not resort to name calling.

i never denied it, i just dont get it.?
    i never said all the top skimmers dont do it or anything...

basically i asked you, and ^^^thats what i got in response
    damn infractions

Administrator

uhhh what?
    i dont see how getting on with my back foot will make me a better skimmer
    i get out pretty easily with my front foot.
    what is backfoot gonna change that will make me a better skimmer?
    backfoot is a far more efficient, which is going to mean that you have more speed while skimming, and hence have more options and can reach larger waves.

its not even really questionable...

look at the mechanics. with back foot you walk onto your board. while one foot is dropping onto the board you can still be pushing with your other leg. front foot you have to jump forward and catch up with the board. back foots better. a lot better. its still possible to skim at a high level without it, but it just makes it harder. Its like beaker riding a woody, he can still get barrelled, but that doesnt mean that woodies are the best boards.
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner
    United Skim Tour - Director & President

Administrator

i edited my post for ya already
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner

brooklyn

thanks for the information on that, really helpful

p.s. i always picture you as tiger woods because of your avatar
    so while reading that tiger woods was totally spitting that info in his amazingly white voice at me
    wierd
    damn infractions

Pro Skimboarder

dude what are you talking about
    i ASKED you what the advantages are to doing back foot first because i DONT know what it wwill change
    you on the other hand probably do, because you are pro.
    lets not resort to name calling.

i never denied it, i just dont get it.?
    i never said all the top skimmers dont do it or anything...

basically i asked you, and ^^^thats what i got in response
    My apologies i thought it was already established that back foot allows for a smoother transition and maintaining speed. The problem i see with many front foot first riders is they run super fast then the last step they slow down because if they throw the board too far in front of them it is gonna be a huge jump and tons of speed is lost. Back foot you can be full sprint toss your board almost out in front of you and then when you jump you catch up with the board and the transition is muy bueno

god is love, rev run

brooklyn

HOLY SHIT
    hahahaha right when i read that, the ending bathtub scene where hes like spitting the lesson of the day came on on runs house.... ahhhh so wierd

haha thanks for the info noogie
    good to know
    damn infractions

Pro Skimboarder

yea its espn

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Peluso
    backfoot is a far more efficient, which is going to mean that you have more speed while skimming, and hence have more options and can reach larger waves.

look at the mechanics. with back foot you walk onto your board. while one foot is dropping onto the board you can still be pushing with your other leg. front foot you have to jump forward and catch up with the board. back foots better. a lot better. its still possible to skim at a high level without it, but it just makes it harder. Its like beaker riding a woody, he can still get barrelled, but that doesnt mean that woodies are the best boards.
    It might be a huge difference for the pros, but for the recreational skimboarder it makes almost no difference. Rarely is there a day when you are out skimming that dropping back foot first will mean reaching the wave but front first won't. How often in your skim career of maybe 15 years will that be the case? Three times? Four? For the average person I dont think it is worth changing your style if you already have your drop down. If you plan to compete at the absolutely highest level you might want to refine your skills until perfection, though.
    "I have not been outdone by any of my friends in doing good, or by any of my enemies in doing harm."
    -Lucius Cornelius Sulla

Pro Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by ejb2591
    it's just that, i would rather work on getting difficult moves down, not going back to square one and changing my drop.

well i used to drop front foot 1st, and i switched...
    idc what you say, it makes a diff.
    would you continue to push mongo if your thing was skating??????
    Alley-Oop - Rider
    Victoria Skimboards- Rider
    FREAK Traction- Rider

Ginger

i drop front foot first, and am from florida

and i know everyone thinks this, but i really think my drop is efficient...

video: (and i know that on this one specific drop, i was a little off balance, but you get the point)

National College Skim Association- Founder/President
    Extreme Outdoor Supply- Team Rider
    Island Water Sports- Team Rider

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

if there's one thing in my skimming I know is efficient, it's my front foot drop... my front foot slides right up the center line of the board in rhythm with my running and I don't have any loss of speed whatsoever. Maybe beginning skimmers that drop front foot "get on more from the side" but I know I get on from the direct center.

Skimboarder

I'm going to disagree.
    I get on from foot first and I can slide out farther than anyone I know. It is not front foot first or backfoot first, it is the riders technique. I have seen people get on front foot and not be able to go anywhere, same with the back foot but it is a flaw in the rider, not how they get on.

I think the advantage of someone getting on back foot first though is how they weight is distributed as soon as they get on the board. People who get on BFF start off with their weight more towards the tail, which is better than the FFF who gets on with their weight more towards the nose. ( at least this is the case with most amateurs)

Also I think people in FL get on FFF because its is easier to learn when you can't really sand drop.
    Micah Cooper
    Syndrome Skimboards - Team Rider
    Run Drop Slide- Team Rider

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Snakes
    back floirda
    fag

and front gulf!
    kooky monster
    purple snake

Skimboarder

back foot when i first started

front foot now

florida

Skimboarder

back Rhode island

the main problem i always have with BFF drops is the initial drag you get between the time you first and second foot land when water dropping. People who front foot tend to have an easier time with that it seems, but i suppose learning Bff will be worth in the long run?
    "The worst is when they won't stop crying. I mean c'mon, I'm trying to cum here!" - Zach Braff on pet peaves

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by superdewey
    what actually makes the difference is from what angle u get on the board, usually front footers get on more on the side than back footeres. this is where the loss of speed comes from. the more directly behind the board you come on, the better.
    i dont know who you've been watching but that is definitely not what happens, at least in front foot drop ive seen...

also,
    just me and my technique (like micah stated) i cannot drop back foot, i put way to much weight on it and i've seen it from film, when stomped on the tail the nose raises then my front foot brings it down of course... thus i have pretty bad tail wear and tear after like 3 months. Thats just my issue.

otherwise if i didnt have that problem or i could get over it i would drop back foot first
    Last edited by Tommy Chong; 05-10-2008 at 08:48 AM.

Skimboarder

back foot first definetly makes it easier to get out to larger waves with more speed..front footers can do it but it takes more work.
    kooky monster
    purple snake

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dzan
    It might be a huge difference for the pros, but for the recreational skimboarder it makes almost no difference. Rarely is there a day when you are out skimming that dropping back foot first will mean reaching the wave but front first won't. How often in your skim career of maybe 15 years will that be the case? Three times? Four? For the average person I dont think it is worth changing your style if you already have your drop down. If you plan to compete at the absolutely highest level you might want to refine your skills until perfection, though.
    IMO any skimboarder at any level will get better by switching to back foot first. It is more efficient therefore anyone at any running speed will lose less speed on the drop, and be able to travel further.

Furthermore, the fact that all the accomplished/veteran skimboarders are always 'arguing' with all the novice/rookie skimboarders is evidence of the truth in this matter.

Can you skim front foot first just fine? Sure... Is it going to cost you more than 3 - 4 waves? Absolutely. In many cases it will cost you 3-4 waves per session, or more. I would say you will have about 10% less speed with front foot than you could with back foot, for the rest of your life. If you are okay with that then go for it.
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Chong
    also,
    just me and my technique (like micah stated) i cannot drop back foot, i put way to much weight on it and i've seen it from film, when stomped on the tail the nose raises then my front foot brings it down of course... thus i have pretty bad tail wear and tear after like 3 months. Thats just my issue.

otherwise if i didnt have that problem or i could get over it i would drop back foot first
    Your back foot should not land on the tail, it should land more towards the center of the board, near the top of the traction pad. This is also more efficient footing for maintaining your slide out. As you appoach the wave you move your foot back for control. This will resolve that problem.
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ZapBulletRider
    if there's one thing in my skimming I know is efficient, it's my front foot drop... my front foot slides right up the center line of the board in rhythm with my running and I don't have any loss of speed whatsoever. Maybe beginning skimmers that drop front foot "get on more from the side" but I know I get on from the direct center.
    If that is true, you arent running full speed to begin with.
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner

Pro Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Chong
    back foot when i first started

front foot now

florida

is that a joke?
    Alley-Oop - Rider
    Victoria Skimboards- Rider
    FREAK Traction- Rider

Skimboarder

When I started skimming I did the front foot thing. Then when I was skimming with guys who were hella better than me I noticed that they were dropping back foot first. I sacrificed a few hours learning the basics of it, and once I got it down my skimming improved dramatically.

For you front footers, do you consider your drop a one-step?
    There's a good chance you've handled my ass-pennies. That gives me the edge.

Mine's BIGGER than yours

Quote Originally Posted by waddsworth
    When I started skimming I did the front foot thing. Then when I was skimming with guys who were hella better than me I noticed that they were dropping back foot first. I sacrificed a few hours learning the basics of it, and once I got it down my skimming improved dramatically.

For you front footers, do you consider your drop a one-step?
    I do... while running I drop when my back foot is forward, thus allowing me to immedietly step on with my front foot first...
    When Obama took office, you were only paying $1.95 per gallon of gas...

brooklyn

yeah i consider itt a one step because it take one step to get on
    why would it not be?
    damn infractions

Skimboarder

a lot of pros accomplished pros get on front foot first, with the exception of the exile team.
    Micah Cooper
    Syndrome Skimboards - Team Rider
    Run Drop Slide- Team Rider

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by jesse

video: (and i know that on this one specific drop, i was a little off balance, but you get the point)

honestly, it looks like your losing speed from your drop.

Skimboarder

how many people gorilla drop / monkey crawl / whatever you want to call it

Whenever i see kids do that drop thy always seem to go like 10 feet further than everyone else. Like austin keen (sp) i saw him skim a couple times in cali and for the most part he one stepped but when he needed the extra couple feet it seemed like he would opt for the monkey crawl. Sean stevens does gorilla drop all the time and it always surprises me how far out he can get. any opinions on why? My personal view is that the little added momentum of throwing your holy body into the last movement carries a little bit more acceleration and allows the speed to stay above the skim sink threshhold
    Contest Director - Founder : Northeast Skim Tour

Skimboarder

i dont know if anybody said this about the whole momentum thing but i look at it like this. back foot brake front foot accel. so if you put your back foot on first and swung your front foot on last then it would carry momentum to the front of your board allowing you to keep speed and go faster. however if you put your front foot on first and then put your back foot on last, your weight would be shifted to the back of the board thus slowing you down.
    if you dont believe me look at jesse's video. you can see him shift his weight to the back of his board once his back foot gets on last thus slowing him down. and after he notices that he leans forward so he doesn't lose more speed.

hermit crab

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Delicious
    I'm going to disagree.
    I get on from foot first and I can slide out farther than anyone I know. It is not front foot first or backfoot first, it is the riders technique. I have seen people get on front foot and not be able to go anywhere, same with the back foot but it is a flaw in the rider, not how they get on.

I think the advantage of someone getting on back foot first though is how they weight is distributed as soon as they get on the board. People who get on BFF start off with their weight more towards the tail, which is better than the FFF who gets on with their weight more towards the nose. ( at least this is the case with most amateurs)

Also I think people in FL get on FFF because its is easier to learn when you can't really sand drop.
    i agree with what you say, i remember seeing you for the first time at the vilano contest and was amazed at how for you went for this one set.

and on another note, i dont see myself doing much skimming during/after college so i dont really care too much about "perfecting" i just like to have fun now, plus today i didnt have one problem reaching any sets and the beaches here are flat as a 4 year old girl and maintaining speed today almost seemed better than in previous months. and paddy, it's not really mongo compared to skating. theres not really a right or wrong to drop unless you have like an 8 step or something whatever gets you out there gets you out there, if you have a 10 step but you can reach sets (not likely) then whats it matter. im almost certain aaron astin drops FFF and he travelled a mile out to the sets in vilano over december.

edit: plus in south carolina you usually have to water drop and i cant imagine a backfoot being very effective in deep water, maybe thats stupid of me to think but when i think about it, seems right to me.
    Last edited by ejb; 05-10-2008 at 02:24 PM.
    naggers gonna nag -gandhi mahatma

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Delicious
    a lot of pros accomplished pros get on front foot first, with the exception of the exile team.
    brad, jaimie and chia all would be faster with back foot IMO. Chia will tell you so himself.

Top 6 last year all drop back foot first. 5 of 6 are on exile.
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner

hermit crab

brad, jaimie and chia all would be faster with back foot IMO. Chia will tell you so himself.

Top 6 last year all drop back foot first. 5 of 6 are on exile.
    what if i dont plan on going pro?
    naggers gonna nag -gandhi mahatma

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jesse

I didnt realize this was a video.

not only is your drop not efficient, it is poor even for a front foot first drop.

dont shoot the messenger
    SkimOnline.com - Owner
    Exile Skimboards - Owner

Skimboarder

the debate is whether you lose speed or not. pro or not. you lose speed.

Thread Information