read'em an weep.
Contest Rules & Regulations
1. A scoring system of 1-10 will be used and half points will also be used to prevent ties. 1 being the lowest and 10 being the greatest thing you have ever seen on a skim board.
2. A score of 1-3 will be used if a rider fails to complete a ride. Example would be if a rider completes a wrap and attempts a shove-it and misses, he will get said scoring. No more than a 3 will be given.
3. A score of 3.5-6 will be given to a rider who completes a wrap and does not fall. No tricks involved, just a wrap. 3.5 being a shaky looking wrap and a 6 being a well executed wrap.
4. 6.5-9 will be for rides that are completed to include liners, wraps to any trick, liners to any trick, air re-entries to the wave, and other wave riding combinations. Remember they must be attempted successfully to count.
5. A score of 9-10 will only be given in the event that a skimmer nails a sick, crucial, amazing, multi-combo trick, or just plain best ride you have ever seen. You will know it when you see it.
6. The head judge will call out rider colors as well as other judges that see the action before the head judge. The head judge will make the call on all completed rides and will be marking the sheet with a C for completed rides and F for failed attempts.
7. The contest director and/or the head judge will make the determination of how to score the contest based on wave conditions. Flat to ankle high waves will be scored more liberally than thigh high and above waves. At this point waves will be scored as said above.
8. Tricks that are attempted and/or made “in the flats” when waves are present will not be given more than a score of 4. This also goes for “out the back” airs.
9. All rides will count on the score card. We do not throw out the highest and lowest scores.
10. The top three scores are what will be used for a total score. In the event of a tie, the next highest score of the tied competitors will be used to break the tie. This will continue until the tie is broken at which point the original score will be used to seed them in the next round.
11. The overall scoring system is one that uses an elimination proccess of multiples of four. An example would be if you have sixteen riders and after their first round, the lowest four scores will be cut to result in the next twelve riders advancing to the next round until the final of four to determine the winner of the division.
12. In the event of having a number of riders that do not equal out to a multiple of four, we will cut down the field in the first round as such:
A.) If there are 20 riders or below, we will only cut the amount of scores to get to the first multiple of four. Example would be if 15 riders enter, the first round will cut three score to round out to 12.
B.) If there are more than 20 to 30 riders, we will make cuts according to time constraints to make the rounds even out. An example would be if 38 riders enter and we have plenty of time, we will only eliminate two scores to get to 36 riders. If time does not permit, we will cut six to get down to 32 riders to save time on heats. We will not cut any more than six riders for the first round.
13. The amateurs will have 8-minute heats and a 10-minute final. The professionals will have 10-minute heats and a 12-minute final.
14. The professionals will get two first round heats and the total combined score from those heats will be used to seed them to the next round. After that they will be scored as the amateurs.
15. If you miss your heat, you are eliminated. You may however enter the heat you are in during it’s running time and be scored.
16. Do not enter or skim in the contest zone. 1st infraction is a warning. 2nd infraction will have your highest score erased. In the event that you are not in the contest you will be asked to leave. 3rd infraction if you are competing will be the same.
17. Do not approach or argue with the judges. Any issue will be brought to the attention of the contest directors. This is so that the contest will run smoothly. Any infraction of this rule can result in anything from loss of points to expulsion from the contest.
18. Please keep the area of the beach you are at clean. We will provide trash bags to everyone to accomplish this. Failure to do so may result in not being asked to return next year.
19. And by all means, if you see anyway we can improve this event or have any suggestions or complaints, please contact us personally, via email on the site, or call us. This event is for the skimmers and to progress the sport.