Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
Page 195 of 217 FirstFirst ... 95145185191192193194195196197198199205 ... LastLast
Results 6,791 to 6,825 of 7580
    Laser Expert

Cleaned out my carb with some aerosol carb cleaner, had a decent amount of rusty looking sediment shit come back into the float bowl, hopefully I free'd up whatever was causing my problem. Was about to put a filter before my pump but it started raining cats and dogs. Should have everything buttoned up here soon and new plugs in. Got my fingers crossed.
    Don't bro me if you don't know me.

Skimboarder

You're having one hell of a time with weather being on your side lol
    I'm here for a good time, not a long time.

Laser Expert

Fuel pump shit the bed I believe, replaced it with a generic off the shelf one, it starts and idles indefinitely but cuts out if I drive it for more than a couple hundred yards. It also pisses gas into the manifold when I shut her down. Research leads me to believe the pump I bought supplies too much pressure, hopefully i'll be able to swap it out for the one I was originally gonna purchase but was told was mostly for small generators and shit. God damn, i'm tired of this.

Skimboarder

That's the reason i'll never buy anything with a carburetor again. I had these issues constantly on my dirtbikes and it was always a pain in the ass. Fuel injection might not always make as much power as carb's and is definitely more complicated, but it doesnt shit the bed as much either.

Now to be helpful, if all of the filters being changed and thorough carb cleaning didn't help, it has to be the fuel pump. it's weird how they can just go bad overnight, literally in your case.

Laser Expert

The new fuel pump didnt solve things but was a marked improvement. I called the guys that supplied the rebuild kit I used for the carb about 700 miles ago. I was thinking it had to be float related somehow and the tech I talked to mirrored my suspicions, at that point, they were the only thing I hadnt fiddled with. So I tore the top plate off a couple hours ago and removed all the choke linkages and shit that was attached so I could actually get the plate off instead of rotating it out of the way.

Turns out, my needle valve had come unseated and unscrewed itself about a quarter inch, which makes perfect fracking sense now. It explains how it could run so lean under a load (floats would be too low, leading to low levels of fuel in the float bowl, so the fuel reserve got depleted really fast and thus would stall from being lean) and how it would piss gas into the intake manifold and flood when it was hot and shut off (residual fuel pressure in the line pushing fuel to seep past the loose, unscrewed threads which then forced it out of my venturis in the carb barrels.)

All in all, it took a set of spark plugs, 3 carb teardowns, a timing check, cleaned my points, 2 new fuel pumps, a new fuel filter, about a hundred trips to bennett auto/autozone and countless hours scratching my head/ass to change my oil and find out my needle valve had loosened itself. Glad it happened though because I've gone over every inch of the fuel system and now know that its tip top. I can also tear down my carb in zero seconds flat.

Veteran of SOMB War

Glad you got it fixed, man

Laser Expert

I like your use of commas, brah.

Seriously though, me too, I was getting really frustrated. Having two symptoms that are normally mutually exclusive really hung me up.

Veteran of SOMB War

Went through that last year with buying Saturns and flipping them for more money. '95 to '02 Saturn transmissions had a relatively big problem with an easy solution. I'd buy the cars with that problem for cheap, fix it and sell them. Made 3k last year just on doing that. The stress of figuring out the last one wasn't fun though. I thought it had "the problem" but it turned out to be something else. Pulled out a lot of my hair. All-in-all, working on and diagnosing cars is fun because after you're done, you know there's a mechanic out there whose wallet is a little thinner.

SOMB Veteran

This is too good. Even the chevy engineers know that if you try to corner in a Camaro you will almost certainly crash, so the airbags might as well deploy preemptively.

Skimboarder

Wow, that's unbelievable. I mean I can see how they would design the car to predict a rollover for faster airbag deployment thus increasing protection but I would have never guessed it could happen in those conditions. I'd be pretty pissed lol

SOMB Veteran

So I'm finally selling the master of destruction that is my truck. Thinking about getting the new genesis, or maybe the scion FR-S. The scion looks great if you haven't seen it, but I know that the genesis is a great car as well. If anyone has any suggestions in the low 20's Id be happy to here them as well. I'd like to buy new if I can, and then analyze used car prices after If I can't find something I really want.

And if you're in the market for a lifted dodge ram I can give you the hook up as well.

The Yeti

I'd go Subaru BRZ, just to not have a fracking Scion. Any ways, everything I've seen about the Gensis says it's simply not fun to drive. It may have as much power as a 370z, but Hyundai has a ways to go in understanding what it means to make a 'drivers' car...at least from what I've read. On the other hand the 86/BRZ/FRS is more like the Miata. It begs to be driven hard and it's light and nimble enough that it can do it...it just only has 200hp so don't expect to romp on any one off red lights. At the same price point you can't even get the V6 Genesis, which makes it a no brainer for me, I'd go BRZ all day. I can't imagine having something that handles like my Miata, but with around 70 more HP, that would be a blast.
    Team Wookie
    Live every week...like it's shark week.

SOMB Veteran

Yeah I know exactly what you're saying. Im definitely going to test drive the genesis because I don't go just off opinions, but Ive also read them and do take them into consideration. The FRS already starts out at around 25 so I don't think the BRZ is gonna make my price point, but I guess my price point changes a lot depending on how much I sell my truck for.

Not the Father

test drove a gen coupe a few weeks ago and liked it, if you're not going to track the car it had a pretty nice ride and was pretty quick, and for the price the 2012's are going at you cant go wrong. side note, also drove a sonata turbo, was surpisingly quick, nice ride and interior, looks great too.
    hows my posting?
    Let me know 954 - 805-6715

King of the Manlets

the new jetta tdi starts at 22700 and is an awesome car.

Laser Expert

I like everything about the TDI's except FWD.

Skimboarder

get a wrx
    the hobo goes rawr

SOMB Veteran

Thinking of getting the wrx. Going to test drive the 2012 Genesis today, maybe go to the subaru dealer as well. Gonna be very different driving around on the ground, have to be extra careful because right now in my truck it's like I aim for curbs.

The Yeti

Going from an xterra to a miata on coilovers = my frame rails hate me.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    Team Wookie
    Live every week...like it's shark week.

Skimboarder

Should i go with an 05 STi with 150k miles, rebuilt engine at 69k? Or wait out for a 02-04 WRX for with under a 100k. My budget is around 10k.

Im thinking the STi has a better transmission and more powerful engine, but it does have a lot of miles. This might be my only chance at an STi. But i would sure love a car that will make it 5 years, past 220k miles...
    link to the ad:
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3006749803.html
    link to the pictures: http://photobucket.com/finch_sti
    the hobo goes rawr

Not the Father

lol'd at STI with 150k

you're going to have a hard time finding a nice WRX under 100k for less than 10k that hasnt been taken behind a middle school and raped
    hows my posting?

Skimboarder

as long as it can survive being raped and go on after middle school through high school and college without a breakdown im happy ;D
    the hobo goes rawr

Not the Father

just be prepared to shell out the cash for therapy and then more money for a lawsuit after the therapist rapes it
    hows my posting?

Skimboarder

Don't do it man. I understand that you really want a WRX but with your price range I don't think you will be able to find anything truly reliable. It's better to wait until you can really afford something that you will be very happy with

SOMB Veteran

test drove the tdi today, decided on the GLI with the autobahn package. The car really looks great. Im really excited can't wait to get a little bit of money into the thing. They have it in red at the dealer but am hoping they can get a white in when I go to sign tomorrow.

Skimboarder

Good stuff man! Are you purchasing the car or leasing it? If you are purchasing it I definitely recommend finding the color you really want. I waited 5 weeks to get my WRX in white and I am so stoked that I did.

SOMB Veteran

Pruchasing the car. It came in in white today, gonna go pick it up, super pumped!!!

Skimboarder

Awesome man congratulations!

EDIT: Post some pics when you can.
    Last edited by TY ler; 05-12-2012 at 03:16 PM.

SOMB Veteran

Woot woot.

SPF 70

Oh yeahh, the new GLIs are sweeet
    -David Behar

So Salty

damnn nice! really dig those wheels too, black inserts hide a lot of dirt and such. i have the MKV GLI

SOMB Veteran

Yeah it looks like they borrowed a lot from their a4 design which I also really love. I'm so freaking happy.

SOMB Veteran

dat interior
    "I heard smoking pole makes you trip balls."-GnipGnop

SOMB Veteran

dat new tint!!!

Laser Expert

Skated Tail of the Dragon this weekend on my longboard. Be very, very, fooking jealous. Pics and video soon.

Thread Information