Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
Page 190 of 217 FirstFirst ... 90140180186187188189190191192193194200 ... LastLast
Results 6,616 to 6,650 of 7580
    Not the Father

it has like 8 vtecs
    hows my posting?
    Let me know 954 - 805-6715

SOMB Veteran

Its not a type-R though.

SOMB Veteran

I keep seeing faggots hanging like beanie babys off the tow hooks in their crx's around town now. what is going on in jdm world
    "I heard smoking pole makes you trip balls."-GnipGnop

Talking dirty to food

sounds like a good time to start "collecting" beanie babies.
    I'm so adjective, I verb nouns!

Meow

signifies they are available/want to race.

unless you already knew that. couldnt tell....
    If you and I were Squirrels, I'd store my nuts in your hole

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by CaboWabo View Post
    Both of you guys should make sure to jump on Miata.net. The garage section has tons of great info including a checklist for buying a new (to you) Miata and write ups for almost every bit of maintenance, suspension install, ect. The Forum is also packed with lots of info.

nas, the mileage isn't as important as the maintenance. As a track car at that age it'll probably need a rebuild any ways, unless you're not really worried about it and just going to run what ya got . These motors are well documented as going to the 300k mark without too much trouble pending on maintenance, although I don't know if that's the case for tracked vehicles...doubt it. The lower the mileage the more you'll pay a premium and honestly 5-6k on a 20ish year old car that's going to be tracked is kinda steep. I'd go with something that is in good working order, but maybe isn't cosmetically perfect and try to get a steal, then more money for track goodies and the first maintenance (all fluids, timing belt/wp if not documented, coolant hoses, radiator if it's brown/green-ish (signs of being on its last leg, ect).

This is the first car I've turned a wrench on and it's EASY.
    Yayy good news to me! And yea, I joined miata.net a little while back. It's great. I recommend the site as well, Rum.

Cabo, I wouldn't mind getting a dinged up option, but I doubt I can find one with such low mileage. And that's pretty important to me at the moment, considering I want to get some years out of the stock motor before swapping myself. I want to know what I'm doing when that time comes so I can do it all by myself, or with a friend, but with me on the knowledge/helping end. Also, I want a tight car, without having to get the chassis reinforced. Talk me out of it if you can... you'd be saving me money

Quote Originally Posted by RUM_RUNNER View Post
    I don't buy new. Turrible investment since I already know my way around a car.
    haha I meant newer. Sorry for the typo. But if you know your way around a car than it's not an issue. I would go for a second gen, personally, if I had more monies. But if you want more of the go-kart feel, the earlier the better
    Aaron Kaplan

The Yeti

I'm sure you can search m.net for better info. I'm new to all this stuff myself so I'm not gonna sway you too much one way or the other, but low mileage, good condition miata's command a premium whether warranted or not. Just read up so you know exactly what to look for and be patient. The hardest part is being patient, but the one you want will pop up eventually, then you just have to jump on it since they go QUICK. If mine (95 w/ 133k) wasn't my DD I'd probably track it. I feel confident after all my maintenance that it could take the abuse, but would obviously just need that much more maintenance. I'd maybe want a new radiator first and HP+ brake pads up front to match the rear, but it runs strong and isn't giving me issues now that I've sorted out the major stuff. If you could steal a garage queen at a good price there's nothing wrong with that thought!
    Team Wookie
    Live every week...like it's shark week.

SOMB Veteran

Anyone trying to buy a 34,000 dollar car?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654968

Skimboarder

Shiat
    [President : ActivFilms.TV] [Head Photographer/Lead Marketer : GT Auto Lounge] [Head Photographer/Marketer : Diamond Autosport] [West Coast Photographer : Carrtel] [Media : Luxury4play] [President/Event Coordinator : LeFestino]

Veteran of SOMB War

Quote Originally Posted by nasolovesyou View Post

haha I meant newer. Sorry for the typo. But if you know your way around a car than it's not an issue. I would go for a second gen, personally, if I had more monies. But if you want more of the go-kart feel, the earlier the better
    Haha thanks. Yea I want the go-kart feel. Although, there aren't many curves in my area

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by RUM_RUNNER View Post
    Haha thanks. Yea I want the go-kart feel. Although, there aren't many curves in my area
    Get it to a track!
    Aaron Kaplan

The Yeti

...or just autox. It's not hard on the car and is tons of fun.
    Team Wookie

The Yeti

I'm getting ricey over here. DIY advanced auto parts intake (~$50). I put it behind the headlight as it basically mimics the Racing Beat intake, which avoids having it getting heat soaked right over the header. Probably going to get heat soaked regardless, but I could always push the back of my headlight down a tad to let some air in between it and the hood .

422022_1919685409637_1767116409_974636_90929222_n.jpg
    Team Wookie

Skimboarder

My car threw an engine malfunction code today and everything is pointing to turbo failure... Very little power to the motor and the car is creating no boost. I can't hear the turbo spool. I am hoping that the vehicle has some sort of fail safe "limp mode" to disengage the turbo to lessen the damage. These next few days could get very expensive.
    I'm here for a good time, not a long time.

The Yeti

Quote Originally Posted by TY ler View Post
    My car threw an engine malfunction code today and everything is pointing to turbo failure... Very little power to the motor and the car is creating no boost. I can't hear the turbo spool. I am hoping that the vehicle has some sort of fail safe "limp mode" to disengage the turbo to lessen the damage. These next few days could get very expensive.
    That sucks dude, hope you get it resolved without burning too much of a hole in your pocket .

Better picture of the intake.

6943629913_2403eb1fa2_z.jpg
    Team Wookie

Skimboarder

Cabo, I've been reading around Miata.net and I've seen a few people say that the stock intake is the best option for power??? What's your reasoning for an aftermarket one? I'm sure it improves sound, and actually, I feel like those guys can't be right. I've always been under the impression that systems made aftermarket are specifically made for improved breathing, which equals improved power. What's up here?
    Aaron Kaplan

The Yeti

The stock air box is pretty decent and it's main advantage is pulling cooler from the corner, but if you can get good air to a setup like this, especially if you duct it through the firewall, it makes more power. I'm actually picking up a package deal of all sorts of new goodies from a local club member, one of which being the Jackson Racing CAI. It has a piece that fits right on top of the radiator and sucks in cool air to the filter and keeps me legal in my SCCA class. So I'm not doing any more work on this. It sounds meatier, bit I cant say it's doing anything once the engine bay is hot. I almost want to say there's slight loser of torque below 3.5k....without a dyno who knows. Just get a good drop in filter and call it a day.
    Team Wookie

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by CaboWabo View Post
    That sucks dude, hope you get it resolved without burning too much of a hole in your pocket .

I lucked out and it turns out that there was a recall on my vehicle and a circuit board that controls the turbo cooling system was prone to going out. Well mine went out and sent the car into a fail safe mode where it did not utilize the turbo (or this is what the dealer tells me). Nevertheless, I am hesitant about keeping the Mini because I know they are prone to going downhill fast once stuff starts to go wrong.

I am most likely going to move to a Subaru because I am looking for an AWD hatch. My first choice is the WRX because I simply cannot afford the STi. I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with the standard Impreza 2.0i sport premium. I know it is not turbo'd and ithe two are not really comparable but I do not want to discount it completely. Any feedback would be cool.

The Yeti

When I was looking at cars and still considering something other than the Miata one thing was clear...non-turbo Impreza's are shit. An already anemic engine is just even worse due to AWD. At least what I was looking at. Just sounds no fun to me. It's made to be a commuter, not getting revved out.
    Team Wookie

Skimboarder

Yeah that is exactly what my dad said. I keep telling myself that I don't need a fast car and would be fine with a commuter but deep down I know I'd regret it. I'm going to a dealer near me that gives my dad a firefighter discount so hopefully he can help swing me a deal. Fingers crossed

The Yeti

Yup, I could still see having an Xterra again. I love having a vehicle that can get stuff done and carry bikes, camping gear, people, ect, but as far as cars go I don't think I could ever drive anything without at least SOME performance in mind. Honestly if I had extra money though, I might get an older non-turbo Impreza. There are some local regions running rallyx now and that would be a blast.
    Team Wookie

SOMB Veteran

Made my first documentation of the All Show, No Go supercar phenomenon that I've ranted about. Yeah, I made it extra snide to troll a bit, but yeah.... I'm consistently disappointed with the supercar guys.

Skimboarder

Their all scared to get scratches :P I said it before, those roads look awesome!
    [President : ActivFilms.TV] [Head Photographer/Lead Marketer : GT Auto Lounge] [Head Photographer/Marketer : Diamond Autosport] [West Coast Photographer : Carrtel] [Media : Luxury4play] [President/Event Coordinator : LeFestino]

SOMB Veteran

Driving a slower car fast>Driving a faster car slower. And besides isn't that a convertible? Unless its a roadster where there's seldom a hardtop option, most people driving convertibles probably aren't that serious of drivers in the first place lol.

Skimboarder

Wagon Power??

IMG_8290-1-2 by Trevor Thompson, on Flickr

Skimboarder

Did you wrap your car or is just the picture?

Skimboarder

Car is not wrapped, silver is the original paint... May end up wrapping it if I choose to keep it longer.

Skimboarder

That's what I thought but the picture makes it look like a matte gray

Skimboarder

Quick question though SACTO. If you wrap your A3 are you planning on doing it yourself? I'm ordering a wrx in the next week or so and I'm contemplating on a wrap myself ... could be a really fun project.

Skimboarder

Yeah if I end up wrapping my A3 I would do it myself, not going to spend 5k to have a shop do it for me. It's a 20-24 hour project (at least thats what it took to do my friends A5), will take some trial and error to applying the vinyl. But I think its a great project/experience.

Not the Father

it peels off and leaves the paint fine right?
    hows my posting?
    Let me know 954 - 805-6715

Skimboarder

Yes, assuming your paint is good quality. I would recommend doing a quick wax before putting the vinyl on, will help when you go to peel it off.

Skimboarder

bought a 2001 s2000 with 42k miles today. bone stock with new top with glass instead of plastic.
    i <3 skimboarding

Skimboarder

Nice man those are so fun to drive. I would consider it if I wasn't so damn tall. They look 10x better with the hardtop too, IMO.

SOMB Veteran

pics

Thread Information