Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
Page 189 of 217 FirstFirst ... 89139179185186187188189190191192193199 ... LastLast
Results 6,581 to 6,615 of 7586
    Title

he was talking to sacto skim i think joey

SOMB Veteran

The first part that was quoted wrong... He said my name, i think he was talking to me.
    Shortbus Skimboards- Team Rider
    TheSkimSource- Team Rider
    Color- Team Rider

Talking dirty to food

The Toronto International Car Show was actually decent this year for once.
    Had an Aston Martin One-77, MP4-12C, and two cars I've been been longing to see in person, but never thought I'd actually get the chance. Now if I could only get a ride in a McLaren F1 around the Ring, I'd be good to go.

This is the only one in North America, and the only one in the world ordered with black wheels instead of the standard gold.

And, well, duh.
    I'm so adjective, I verb nouns!

The Yeti

Zonda R, weeeeee!
    Team Wookie
    Live every week...like it's shark week.

Not the Father

THink imma do it.
    hows my posting?
    Let me know 954 - 805-6715

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ihaterutgers View Post
    I was booing your decent looking car for not having a turbo.
    A K20 need not a turbo. You can turbo anything. Not everything has so much NA potential.

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ihaterutgers View Post
    I was booing your decent looking car for not having a turbo.

The rest was directed at sacto.

I will continue to act like a douchebag for no reason if I want.
    Lol.. There would be no point to drop 6K+ To boost a FWD civic.. I mean, don't get me wrong, i love my car. But with simple things like Flashpro, I/H/E, And other miscellaneous performance parts. Si's become nasty little cars.
    Shortbus Skimboards- Team Rider
    TheSkimSource- Team Rider
    Color- Team Rider

Meow

Quote Originally Posted by Chrith View Post

THink imma do it.
    is that a saab?

if so saabs are great cars and i loved mine to death, but they are an electrical disaster and now that they went out of business parts and crazy expensive, that is if you can find them.
    If you and I were Squirrels, I'd store my nuts in your hole

Not the Father

saabaru, basically a WRX badged as a saab with a nicer interior.
    hows my posting?

SOMB Veteran

Spent a gorgeous evening in the mountains the other day. This is one of the best climbs in all of the Santa Cruz Mountains. Its hard to get to, but so totally worth it when you get an uninterrupted run like this:

Laser Expert

Replaced the brake and clutch master cylinders and the fuel pump/ecu relay today/yesterday in the 944. Feels like a brand new car, super stoked.
    Don't bro me if you don't know me.

Skimboarder

So I've been looking into a pure track car, and I've decided for sure on a Miata. So I'll be joining you, Cabo, once I save up some funds. I'm looking to get an NA with less than 60k miles, which I'm finding a surprising amount of, and I'm looking to spend $6k or less. Most that are meeting my criteria are between 5 and 7, some for under 5. I'm going to put a roll cage in it, get a hard top, and therefore qualify for any sanctioned track event. My plans are to start out going to all the track days I can, and a few years into it, start entering into some wheel-to-wheel races, once I have enough money for a second track car, so if I crash I won't be out of fun while I'm repairing. The reason I'm looking for such a low-mileage option is because I want something with a rock-solid frame, and I want to drive on the original motor for as long as it will last, before doing a swap myself. I'm pretty stoked to get into this hobby. I've always loved driving, I've always loved watching racing, and car watching. I need a toy asap, so I'm saving up. I'd say a year from now I'll be in one and on a track. Just thought I'd post this up now

And for now, I'm taking care of my lemon :/ I bought a '97 Isuzu Rodeo from a buy here/pay here lot, and it's giving me lots of problems, as could have been expected, but I was hoping it wouldn't for some reason. The only reason I got it was because it had only 72k miles, and I like older cars. It's shaping up though. I've put a lot of money into it overhauling the engine, because I want it to last another 100k before swapping in another of the same model or just letting it die. But anyways, it's running much better now. Next thing to do is buying an exhaust system and installing it myself, with the help of a mechanic friend of mine. The previous owner removed the cat and it sounds like shit hitting 2500 rpm. But no emissions testing in Florida, so it's not illegal, just annoying. Going to be my daily driver until I get a newer car to double as a DD and autox car. So the first of my three car stable is here and kicking, and regardless of it starting as a lemon, it's turning into a nice machine. I didn't know what to do with it when I encountered all of the problems straight from dealership, because they offer no refund policy, so I was just patient with my shop visits, and put the necessary funding into it, and now I have a good daily driver/road trip car. Maybe eventually an off-road/expedition vehicle, maybe not because I'd have to swap in a 4x4 system, and although that would be fun, I don't know if I'll ever actually have a need for a vehicle like that.

Anyways, Chrith, I'll go with you on that road trip this weekend if you want to check out that saabaru! I think that's a good choice. But getting something automatic... you know how I feel about that. And in case you don't... DON'T DO IT! If you want sport, manual is a necessity. What I really think you should do though, is get an s2k and track it so we can go together once I get my miata
    Aaron Kaplan

Veteran of SOMB War

Yea, Cabo, I want a Miata too but for a daily driver. Any recommended years? What year is yours? What should I look for when buying used? I can trust the early Mazda name as I have '92 Mx-6 and love it.

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by RUM_RUNNER View Post
    Yea, Cabo, I want a Miata too but for a daily driver. Any recommended years? What year is yours? What should I look for when buying used? I can trust the early Mazda name as I have '92 Mx-6 and love it.
    Unless you work on cars I would recommend a new car for a daily driver, unless you have a backup. The second gen began in 1999, third gen in '05 or '06. You can get a good mid-mileage second gen for pretty cheap, around 6k, or if you're patient, a super low-mileage option for around the same price. People baby these cars
    Aaron Kaplan

The Yeti

Both of you guys should make sure to jump on Miata.net. The garage section has tons of great info including a checklist for buying a new (to you) Miata and write ups for almost every bit of maintenance, suspension install, ect. The Forum is also packed with lots of info.

nas, the mileage isn't as important as the maintenance. As a track car at that age it'll probably need a rebuild any ways, unless you're not really worried about it and just going to run what ya got . These motors are well documented as going to the 300k mark without too much trouble pending on maintenance, although I don't know if that's the case for tracked vehicles...doubt it. The lower the mileage the more you'll pay a premium and honestly 5-6k on a 20ish year old car that's going to be tracked is kinda steep. I'd go with something that is in good working order, but maybe isn't cosmetically perfect and try to get a steal, then more money for track goodies and the first maintenance (all fluids, timing belt/wp if not documented, coolant hoses, radiator if it's brown/green-ish (signs of being on its last leg, ect).

Rum, every year is awesome . NA = 89-97, NB = 99-05 and NC = 06+. 89-93 is the 1.6l. Least horsepower, but also least weight, gets heavier as the years go on. 94 on is 1.8l with increasing power and weight. 99+ significant bump in in power and at some point they added VVT. My first choice, which didn't pan out was a 99' Sport. They're already slightly lowered with stiffer suspension (will need new shocks any ways though) and are the lightest of the NB's. Then of course there's always the 2004/05 Mazdaspeed MX5, which was turbo from the factory and has 178hp. You really can't go wrong with any of them, although if it's a daily you may want to search for the opposite of what I got. I have a base model with optional power steering. No power windows/mirrors, no cruise control, basic interior, ect. There are nicer models like the M or SE that have leather, headrest speakers, power everything, cruise ect. It all adds weight, but as a DD it won't be anything noticeable. I'd recommend a 1.8 as they have more power/torque, unless you like the 1.6, which has to be revved even more than the already weak 1.8 . Don't know what you're looking to spend, but the older you go make sure you have money put aside for maintenance. Right off the bat mine needed new coolant hoses ($100 from Rosenthal Mazda for all 9), timing belt/wp and everything associated while they're in there (expensive as fuuuuuu), fluids, ect.

This is the first car I've turned a wrench on and it's EASY. I skipped the timing belt job b/c that's way over a newbies head, especially when it's your DD and you can't frack up, but so far I've done stuff like brake pads/rotors, cam angle sensor o ring, coolant hoses (just a pain in the ass more than anything), fluids (easy as shit), clutch master/slave cylinder, and when I get coilovers I plan on doing that myself. A torque wrench is your best friend...and a good breaker bar. The next job I forsee sending it to the shop for is clutch as that's also over my head and very time consuming.
    Team Wookie

SOMB PL

Just bought an '02 GTI earlier this month. Red with black interior. About to get some black wheels.

Talking dirty to food

I just put in a new rad on my civic, and I'm going to try and do the clutch early spring before it lets go.
    185,000 miles on the original clutch, and on the second rad.

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by CasterTown View Post
    Spent a gorgeous evening in the mountains the other day. This is one of the best climbs in all of the Santa Cruz Mountains. Its hard to get to, but so totally worth it when you get an uninterrupted run like this:

http://www.youtube.com/v/_HcoHm08aw4?version=3&hl=en_US" quality=high WIDTH="500" HEIGHT="400" NAME="mp3player" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">
    caster you live in the bay? What are your thoughts on Highway 9 and shannon/hicks road in los gatos? I grew up in LG pretty much my whole life, so its always been fun to cruise through those hills
    the hobo goes rawr

The Yeti

Quote Originally Posted by LAXitives288 View Post
    Replaced the brake and clutch master cylinders and the fuel pump/ecu relay today/yesterday in the 944. Feels like a brand new car, super stoked.
    I glanced at this and read it as 914, oh well...944 is still pretty awesome. My clutch felt sooooo much better after a new master/slave, so I understand the "brand new" car feels.

Quote Originally Posted by GnipGnop View Post
    I just put in a new rad on my civic, and I'm going to try and do the clutch early spring before it lets go.
    185,000 miles on the original clutch, and on the second rad.
    I figure this will be the next and hopefully last major work I need done. If I can't get local club help, I'll have to pay the dealer...gross. That's a long damn way for a stock clutch!

...and I still hate you Caster. I wish I had roads like that around here .
    Team Wookie

Talking dirty to food

You're not going to take it to the Mazda dealer are you? There's got to be small shops willing to work on it.
    I don't baby my clutch, but I shift smoothly and almost always rev match when downshifting.

SOMB Veteran

I drove my friends new '02 NB with custom hard top and roll cage last friday. I was in love, especially since the NB's have a 1.8 instead of the 1.6
    "I heard smoking pole makes you trip balls."-GnipGnop

The Yeti

94-97's (NA) have the 1.8 too n00b cake. We just have a few less HP. Also doubting it was roll cage and more just a roll bar, like the hard dog, which bolts in. Looks good, but worthless unless tracking.
    Team Wookie

Veteran of SOMB War

Quote Originally Posted by nasolovesyou View Post
    Unless you work on cars I would recommend a new car for a daily driver, unless you have a backup. The second gen began in 1999, third gen in '05 or '06. You can get a good mid-mileage second gen for pretty cheap, around 6k, or if you're patient, a super low-mileage option for around the same price. People baby these cars
    I don't buy new. Turrible investment since I already know my way around a car.

Quote Originally Posted by CaboWabo View Post
    This is the first car I've turned a wrench on and it's EASY. I skipped the timing belt job b/c that's way over a newbies head, especially when it's your DD and you can't frack up, but so far I've done stuff like brake pads/rotors, cam angle sensor o ring, coolant hoses (just a pain in the ass more than anything), fluids (easy as shit), clutch master/slave cylinder, and when I get coilovers I plan on doing that myself. A torque wrench is your best friend...and a good breaker bar. The next job I forsee sending it to the shop for is clutch as that's also over my head and very time consuming.
    That's exactly what I wanted to read. Thanks for the tips!

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by CaboWabo View Post
    94-97's (NA) have the 1.8 too n00b cake. We just have a few less HP. Also doubting it was roll cage and more just a roll bar, like the hard dog, which bolts in. Looks good, but worthless unless tracking.
    oh, sorrrrrry. And ya it was. It has a torsen LSD like yours too, and front sway bar. He's setting it up for drift events, so he said he's getting coils full exhaust and intake soon. Got the woodgrain everything inside too
    Last edited by tommygallagher; 02-27-2012 at 09:11 PM.

The Yeti

Actually found out mine has open diff, which sucks, but at least puts me in a class I can compete in. Miata's suck for drifting, short wheelbase. Can be done, but there are better options.
    Team Wookie

Not the Father

its pretty hard to put into perspective just how retardedly fast hyper cars are. A 599 for example is stupid fast and could probably smoke just about any car on the road. and it just gets walked all over

hows my posting?

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by hobo View Post
    caster you live in the bay? What are your thoughts on Highway 9 and shannon/hicks road in los gatos? I grew up in LG pretty much my whole life, so its always been fun to cruise through those hills
    Highway 9 East from Skyline is a fantastic downhill. I haven't gone too far down the other way. I'm a fan of DH just because Si's can't climb. Just about everything off of skyline is world class though, whether it be for spirited driving, or just cruising. Lots of mid-lifers up there in supercars too, sometimes even trying to drive fast , which makes for great fun if you have the opportunity to chase them down!

SOMB Veteran

He's always wanted one, and for 4000 bucks with 100k miles for a 2002 I wouldn't have passed it up.

The Yeti

I wouldn't either, that's a steal. Just saying it's not the easiest car to drift. Looks damn good!
    Team Wookie

SOMB Veteran

Haha he said he's determined, and hes entering the next drift event in Pcola.

SPF 70

Chrith, that just shows what red cars are capable of.
    -David Behar

Skimboarder

Dat Koenigsegg O.O The first Agera R to get into the USA will be here in a few months. So Cal area, I am going to stalk the guy till I find it. Going to be Matte White with blue accents
    [President : ActivFilms.TV] [Head Photographer/Lead Marketer : GT Auto Lounge] [Head Photographer/Marketer : Diamond Autosport] [West Coast Photographer : Carrtel] [Media : Luxury4play] [President/Event Coordinator : LeFestino]

Talking dirty to food

Is it this one Trevor? If so, it's the Trevita and there's only 3 in the world.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/cars/k...al/index.shtml

Not the Father

i just got the best boner
    hows my posting?

SOMB Veteran

but does it have vtec

Thread Information