Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.

Thread: squeaky ear

Skimboarder

Default squeaky ear

anyone else get this? its weird.. hard to explain really.. but my ear is all squeaky.. i tried shooting water into my ear.. used a q-tip and rubbing alcohol to try and clean it but nothing seems to work.. i get this once in a while after skimming but i think it tends to go away eventually.. just getting annoying considering i only got 2 hours of sleep and cant go back to sleep because of it.. anyone know how to remedy this? thanks

Skimboarder

Sounds like its just water in your ear??

I wouldnt say shooting anymore water in there would be good. But try to pour some rubbing alcohol or something in your ear, then wait a few secs, and tilt your head back over to pour it out.

I cant believe it stopped you from getting sleep though, usually my ears only make that squeaky noise when I equalize them (hold your nose and attempt to blow air out of your nose) or when move my jaw around alot.

Try googling it, I gatta get back to work on this damn Spiny Lobster research project. ugh...
    [B]Skim Ambassador to The Bahamas[/B]

Stout Bau5

Quote Originally Posted by v3man
    anyone else get this? its weird.. hard to explain really.. but my ear is all squeaky.. i tried shooting water into my ear.. used a q-tip and rubbing alcohol to try and clean it but nothing seems to work.. i get this once in a while after skimming but i think it tends to go away eventually.. just getting annoying considering i only got 2 hours of sleep and cant go back to sleep because of it.. anyone know how to remedy this? thanks
    theres where u went wrong.
    W4a|e Hunter

Skimboarder

i really dont know how to explain it.. its like.. the sound of someone jumping on a metal spring mattress.. and its kinda loud.. it has stopped me from sleeping a few times before.. and it does make the sound when i move my jaw so im guessin it is water in my ear.. ill try pouring some rubbing alcohol in my ear.. i guess rubbing alcohol on a q-tip isnt enough.. thanks islandboy! good luck on your project.. haha.. all my lectures were cancelled today

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by SDSkim
    theres where u went wrong.
    yea.. but after only 2 hours of a drunken sleep i was quite desperate and dillusional

you skimmin today?

SOMB Veteran

Sounds like you have surfer/skimmer ear. If you get water in your ear and it won't come out, try this hold a hair dryer on low up to your ear and heat it up. This should dry out your ear. I do it because my Doc said my ears are 80% closed, and water gets trapped and won't come out. If it's not water it may be ear wax, if you use a Qtip in your ear, it may pack the wax and make it worst. If this doesn't work a MD can get it out, I had that done too.
    J Gordon Skimboards - Owner

[Remember: your front foot is your gas and back foot is your brake.]
    (speed = float)

Skimboarder

i mentioned surfers ear to my doc the last visit.. he said it takes YEARSSSS for it to happen.. i dont think i could have gotten it from 4 months of skimming (my first ocean sport) unless i can get it from swimming.. i used to swim a lot... but even then.. oh well.. ill try the blow dryer too and i guess ill just ask a doc to check out my ears.. thanks jim

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by v3man
    i mentioned surfers ear to my doc the last visit.. he said it takes YEARSSSS for it to happen.. i dont think i could have gotten it from 4 months of skimming (my first ocean sport) unless i can get it from swimming.. i used to swim a lot... but even then.. oh well.. ill try the blow dryer too and i guess ill just ask a doc to check out my ears.. thanks jim
    Yeah it takes years to get surfer ear, I think it just ear wax, your doc. can clean that out if it doesn't get any better. good luck

(speed = float)

Skimboarder

Yep...happens to me all the time. It's usually a big clump of sand and earwax that plugs it up and keeps the water from draining out. I use a bobby pin to scrape the crap out and then it will usually roll out while I'm sleeping.

Skimboarder

This link seems like it might help a bit, it explains some of the things you could do to clean your ears:

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/...ooks/47/52.cfm

Also from that site: Never stick anything sharp—a bobby pin, a pencil tip, a paper clip—into your ear, because you could tear your eardrum. I know you've probably done it many times before UTR, but its probably not best for this guy to try for the first time...

Skimboarder

P.s. Peroxide seems to be the overall consensus for the liquid to clean out your ears.

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Islandboy
    P.s. Peroxide seems to be the overall consensus for the liquid to clean out your ears.
    I have used H.peroxide too. When you put in your ear you will hear a lot of bubbling in your ear, it will loosen the wax up. You can also get thing at a drug store to clean your ear out. Like a rubber squeese ball thing, it will suck out the water and wax all at the same time. When your done use a hear dryer to dry out your ear.

(speed = float)

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Islandboy
    This link seems like it might help a bit, it explains some of the things you could do to clean your ears:

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/...ooks/47/52.cfm

Also from that site: Never stick anything sharp—a bobby pin, a pencil tip, a paper clip—into your ear, because you could tear your eardrum. I know you've probably done it many times before UTR, but its probably not best for this guy to try for the first time...

lol, true.....but it feels soooooo good!

Skimboarder

haha.. yea.. i have one of those weird phobia things where i hate stickin shit in my ear.. so i def wont do the bobby pin. i hate using q-tips too!.. when i see the doc ill see what he can do for me.. for now.. i'll hafta deal w/ this incessant squeaking!! -_-

Thread Information