Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.
    Skimboarder

Default Need Help Choosing a Board

hey im looking to get my first board. ive been looking at a Vic Ultra ML but im 166lbs and 511. The weight req says its up to 160. Im not sure if it really matters but i heard Victorias ran big and i wanted to have control to ride waves but enought boyancy to make it far out. Thanks

(if you have any other reccomendations for a board i should look into im all ears)

Banned

have you ever skimed befor?

Skimboarder

yeah but i used a friends victoria wooden one. i didnt now much about skimboarding so thats why im here to learn more cuz i thought it was so tight when i was able to slide across the sand. but i want more, i wanna ride waves (ive tried w/the wooden one but its pretty impossible) plus my friend is smaller than me so i want a board that is good and one that i can grow with.

Banned

i've only been doing it for like 2 months, but i got a lot of ppl telling me to start with a zap wege/pro. i hear cabal boards are very good for wave riding just bought 1 ill let ya know when i get it in teh mail *sometime next week.* im sure most ppl on this site will say some sort of exile~victoria though.

Skimboarder

cool thx. so stick with exile or victoria. the only thing is exiles are all at least 350 where the victoria ultra is 250. dont get me wrong they are sick but im just debating if i could spend the extra 100 or if id be satisfied with the Vic Ultra

Banned

Well if you can afford to spend the extra $100 then do it *if that board is what you want, and fits you right* but make sure its worth it. id suggest buying a board off this forum. and befor you spend 300+ i would find someone near ya and try the board out.

Skimboarder

tight idea ill have to do that

somb sucks

If you are just statring out you really do not need the Exile. I wouldn't get that just yet. The Vic looks like a good choice. Boards I would recommend are:

-A Zap Pro: Tons of people start really getting into wave riding on these. It's a good board for a pretty good price.
    -A Vic Ultra: I've heard Vic's run a little bit bigger than other boards, so this one will probably float you out there more. Vic is another great company.
    -Slotstik Slot Vac: This is what I am riding now. It's great. Good float, manuevers well.

There are tons of other companies too. Once you start getting into high end boards, they will all perfom well. It is just personal preference at this point. You'll hear different things from different people. It's a trial and error process. Try to get your hands on some high end boards and give it a ride.
    watch the moving bodies as they react to the sound

Skimboarder

if you are just learning i would stay away from super high end boards it will just be harder to learn....they are lighter (harder to drop), and have sharper rails (easier to catch an edge and slow down a ton). Sure i love my exile but i had been skimming for a while when i first got it and it still took a while to get adjusted to.

Skimboarder

i would go with a zap pro or a zap wedge large they are good board for both flatland and wave riding even though they are designed more for wave riding
    [URL="http://www.925never.com"]http://www.925never.com[/URL]

Skimboarder

cool thx for all the help. but now im just worried about the size issue since im 166lbs should i get a ML in Victoria or a L in Victoria or slotstick ML.

Skimboarder

get a large ull grow into it
    [URL="http://www.925never.com"]http://www.925never.com[/URL]

Skimboarder

i have a great board for you
    i run with the amish mafia, think twice before you speak

atg

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by popesucks
    get a large ull grow into it
    he doesnt need a large he lives in california....we have waves here.

im 160 and ride a medium and its the perfect size.

Skimboarder

Default What size for what brand?

a M in what tho? slotstik M seems really small maybe a MML ML? Victoria ML? Exile M?

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by ladysluvme
    a M in what tho? slotstik M seems really small maybe a MML ML? Victoria ML? Exile M?

Don't go by weight recommendations..My boards weight limit is 140 and i weigh 175lbs, it just depends on your speed and your transition..

Skimboarder

p.s i have a medium carbon vic if your interested..

Skimboarder

Default weight req

thx so much for the weight req info thats the kind of info i need.

yee haw

large vic's are BOATS
    what is this i dont even

Skimboarder

Default So no Lg Vic

thx for the tip i guess ill stick with a M then

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by ladysluvme
    thx so much for the weight req info thats the kind of info i need.
    No problem..

Skimboarder

I have a Vic Ultra and i love it. I got it for my 1st wave riding board. it was a few months ago. Im awsome with it. I would got with that.

Skimboarder

a ml is fine, as vics run a few inches larger than other companies. I'm 165-175 and rock a ml poly vac and it's fine. Tons of float and more maneuverability than a L. I would suggest a Poly Vac, Exile, Zap Pro or Comp, Slotstik slot vac or provac, sol wrap etc. Go for the high end board and be happy later down the road
    Pebble Beach 06

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Hartford
    if you are just learning i would stay away from super high end boards it will just be harder to learn....they are lighter (harder to drop), and have sharper rails (easier to catch an edge and slow down a ton). Sure i love my exile but i had been skimming for a while when i first got it and it still took a while to get adjusted to.

I think lighter boards are easier to dro by far.

SOMB Veteran

Go with a Zap large wedge perfect for entry level skimming

Skimboarder

but i want something that is going to last me i dont wanna be dropping 120 here and there i would rather drop 300 at once and have a good board. you know what i mean? maybe its not the best idea maybe im wrong

Skimboarder

read my post
    Pebble Beach 06

Skimboarder

right on. sounds like those are the guidelines im gonna be stiking to. thx. i def. agree on your idea of going with a high end. the sizes u listed are perfect. thx

Skimboarder

no problem, def go with a high end. It doesn't really matter which. They are just slightly different in performance and physicalities so one might suit your style more. A high end zap, vic, exile, slotstick, sol, or a high end not as commercial board, etc will be fine somewhere between M and L will be fine although you could go for whaterver size yu want.
    Pebble Beach 06

Skimboarder

i still disagree somewhat on going super high end if he is just starting....for example learning on a syndrome (super sharp rails means no room for error) is going to be really hard in my opinion. And a waste of money if he quits. I think he should just buy a zap and if he likes it then sell it and buy a nicer board. Plus when you are learning, especially in californias powerful waves you are way more likely to damage your board when you get started....digging the board into the sand coming back and and such. Skimboarding isnt really like skateboarding or something were a nicer board just means faster bearings and more pop in your board etc. Its mor like surfing where there are boards that are better for learning and those better sutited for advanced riders. You dont tell someone to start surfing on a 6' foot board they start on a longboard cause its easier. just like a mid peformance skimboard is easier to ride then a high performance board.

Skimboarder

well put and now i dont know what to get

Skimboarder

from skimshop

Just getting into Wave Riding / First Board - This is going to be my first board for riding waves. I want to get out there and start learning how to get in deeper water and ride back into shore. By the end of the summer I want to be able to wrap a wave. I just need a decent board to get out there and start learing.

Zap Wedge Large
    Victoria Ultra Vac
    Zap Pro
    Slotstik Slot Vac

good enough not to be obsolete in a few weeks, but not advanced enough to waste $500 if you quit. Good boards for learning on sand and beginning to wrap and get liners etc.

The highest I would go with for now would be

Wave Riding - I need a good skimboard that is going to perform. I have been skimming for a while and am into the wave riding aspect of skimboarding. I don't have tons of money to spend on the best materials but I want something that will last me a while.

Victoria Poly Vac
    Slotstik Slot Vac
    Zap E-Glass Comp
    Slotstik Pro Vac

from skimshop

also sol pin and sol s glass

hope this helps
    Pebble Beach 06

Skimboarder

perfect. thx a lot for all the help. im going to keep my choices to the list you have given above.

Skimboarder

no problem, that's what I did last time I bought a new board and went with a ml poly vac for my weight of 165-175
    Pebble Beach 06

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantazap
    Well if you can afford to spend the extra $100 then do it *if that board is what you want, and fits you right* but make sure its worth it. id suggest buying a board off this forum. and befor you spend 300+ i would find someone near ya and try the board out.
    dude ur new. dont shit shitty advice

Thread Information