Welcome to the Skim Online Message Boards.

Thread: pumping weight

Skimboarder

Default pumping weight

Hello, I need some pumping help. Last time out I was short on a few waves and tried pumping, unsuccessfully.

I got the concept from reading old threads but where do you put your weight when you pump. I think I start leaning back a little and that was pretty counter productive.

I noticed when I would pump that I would shoot water forward like I was plowing. Anyone have this problem?

Thanks
    Meg, your what we call a practice girl.

Skimboarder

this happens to me sometimes only cause the wave is to small to pump for me
    krazy:D

you's a frankenstein

please search next time
    Zap Skimboards-Team Rider
    Skim City-Team Rider

[QUOTE=samcollett;1187852]Oh look, Dzan's got something condescending to say again.[/QUOTE]

Skimboarder

read the post next time
    [QUOTE=$ilky $kim]I do that sometimes. Usually when I have to wipe my ass even though I didn't take a shit. You know what I'm talking about.[/QUOTE]

you's a frankenstein

mabey he should read all the other threads that have covered everything on pumping..
    i highly doubt he read all of them.
    Skim City-Team Rider

[QUOTE=samcollett;1187852]Oh look, Dzan's got something condescending to say again.[/QUOTE]

you's a frankenstein

Quote Originally Posted by goofyboots
    read the post next time
    YOUR RIGHT I BET HE SEARCHED REALLY HARD

some tips that help me:

-pumping not only helps you gain speed on a wave but it help getting over chop in the water when going out to one.
    -look where your going and where you wanna go, not at your board.
    -keep your back foot as far back as possible

when doing wraps:
    keep your weight on your back foot on your way down the wave,
    -pivoting off your back foot while turning will help create stability,
    -if you keep your front foot close to the middle of your board you'll be able to turn around faster, but you can also lose your balance easier.
    -throwing your head in the motion you wanna wrap and slashing with your back foot can help with faster breaking waves.

some general stuff

-watch bearded constantly(at least five times a day for the rest of your life) or any skim movie for that matter
    dont just enjoy the pretty sights and waves
    study the riders,
    their movements
    how different riders get on their boards
    how they move their legs, arms, torso, head, shoulders
    how they lean their board and where their feet are on it.
    and their timing with the wave.
    -incorporate what you like into your riding and experiment with the different ways of doing it. there no specific one way to do anything, you have to be comfortable.
    -skim whenever you can, if your beach is having a flat spell and you have free time, work on your drop, try different drops, do shuvits, bigspins, 180ollies, build a rail and try some inland, etc.
    -skim with people better than you and dont be afraid what they think of your skimboarding skillz. criticism will only help you improve. most skimmers will be willing to help you anyway if your friendly.

final tip before i give you a headache, probably the most important one of all.

-respect the locals and dont snake anybody on purpose, even if they dont have a skimboard. its their break so dont be argyle even if they are to you. this applies to just regular beach goers too. if its crowded and you find yourself getting in the way alot just move down the beach where you wont hit anybody. you dont want to give skimboarding a bad rep.
    Last edited by lil chuck; 09-02-2007 at 06:30 PM.
    Skim City-Team Rider

Skimboarder

thats probly the most imformative post ive seen in a thread like this

p.s.- i didnt neg rep you
    [QUOTE=$ilky $kim]I do that sometimes. Usually when I have to wipe my ass even though I didn't take a shit. You know what I'm talking about.[/QUOTE]

you's a frankenstein

Quote Originally Posted by goofyboots
    thats probly the most imformative post ive seen in a thread like this
    to bad i found that using the search button
    Skim City-Team Rider

Stout Bau5

wow, that barely said anything about how to pump at all.

when you are wrapping, you actually want to have your weight foward so u can go down the face of the wave.

with pumping, from what ive watched in person and on videos, the rider usually has his back foot on the end of the tail pad that is closest to the middle of the board. while his front foot is more toward the middle/nose. that will prevent you from plowing your tail into the water as much.

but dont take it from me, im no pro at pumping, i just recently started to get the feel of it, just by doing that ^^
    Last edited by SDSkim; 09-02-2007 at 09:07 PM.
    W4a|e Hunter

Skimboarder

just trust the force in your concept
    team lift

{noahb}when i get high it fracks me upyou know those flip books when you flip the pages it makes a movie kinda,when i get hight thats what i look at

Skimboarder

i find pumping with my concept extremely easy as well as droping into a sideslip
    most A typical

Skimboarder

Quote Originally Posted by SDSkim
    wow, that barely said anything about how to pump at all.

when you are wrapping, you actually want to have your weight foward so u can go down the face of the wave.

with pumping, from what ive watched in person and on videos, the rider usually has his back foot on the end of the tail pad that is closest to the middle of the board. while his front foot is more toward the middle/nose. that will prevent you from plowing your tail into the water as much.

but take it from me, im no pro at pumping, i just recently started to get the feel of it, just by doing that ^^

you are wrong and lil chuck is right. You wanna wanna have your weight back when you are wrapping. and when you pump, it better to have your foot towards the back. If your back foot is close to the middle of your board, you don't really need to pump, you will be sliding just fine.

And on a second note. I dont think you should conscientiously think about pumping. It comes naturally, when you have enough experience you will know when and how to pump. Other wise you'll be pumping for no reason which may slow you down.
    Micah Cooper
    Syndrome Skimboards - Team Rider
    Run Drop Slide- Team Rider

Stout Bau5

well think about it... when you are wrapping, you dont want to be leaning back and have all your weight on the tail as your turning cuz u wont catch the wave. you have to shift your weight like three times.

and with pumping, im not telling him how its really done, im just saying how ive found it to work better for me. if u refer to the post, it says "im no pro at pumping"
    W4a|e Hunter

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

this thread is like having Carrot Top fill in for Bill Nye the Science guy

Stout Bau5

if only i had striking red hair
    W4a|e Hunter

SOMB Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by SDSkim
    i think you meant after you've wrapped and youre facing the shore. then you wanna lean forward to drop in on the face.

when you are wrapping, you want to be leaning back so you can absorb the waves energy.

it's like impossible to learn this stuff by reading. you need to just go out there and do it for yourself until it feels comfortable and is effective.
    Where all the white women at?

Stout Bau5

Quote Originally Posted by vicskim76
    i think you meant after you've wrapped and youre facing the shore. then you wanna lean forward to drop in on the face.when you are wrapping, you want to be leaning back so you can absorb the waves energy.

it's like impossible to learn this stuff by reading. you need to just go out there and do it for yourself until it feels comfortable and is effective.
    yea thats more of what i was referring to
    W4a|e Hunter

Thread Information