PDA

View Full Version : first 2 days of skimming.

worldridr768
04-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Hey guys. I live on Long Island, and yesterday was my first day skimming. I had some trouble throwing the board down at first, but when I came back today was much much more consistent. I just have to break the habit of jumping on the board and doing it with my left foot first (I'm regular). The problem is, The waves break farther out and I simply can't reach them because of the chop from a previous wave and the fact that I sink. I'm running at a good speed I would think. So I guess my question is how to get over the chop and avoid sinking, because I really can't get too far out and reach the waves. Help would be much appreciated, as I'm going back to the beach soon.

lunarone
04-22-2007, 03:18 PM
best advice = petrol jelly. then you can practice as long as you want

MDskimmerMAtt
04-22-2007, 03:27 PM
try side slipping and stepping with your back foot first.

flskimboarder
04-22-2007, 03:27 PM
what kind of board do you have. if you have a woodie you wont ever make it with out sinking. but foam, poly vac, or carbon you'll make it. just gotta have speed and bend your knees to asorb the wave when you go over it. you dont want to air it, you want to just flow over it.

edit: from how choppy it sounds side slipping wont help much.

Teddy Hartford
04-22-2007, 03:32 PM
not to bring you down at all, but maybe you are getting ahead of yourself a little. If you have only skimmed two days just work on dropping and running fast and concentrate on waves later once you have that stuff down.

worldridr768
04-22-2007, 03:38 PM
I have a Vic Ultra Vac. I tried side slipping, but what happened was one of these situations 1) I flew right off because the chop just stopped the board. 2) i went over it, but thats about it. just sank. I have improved a lot with my tossing technique after hours of practicing yesterday, and get on it every time, just usually with the front foot first, by jumping on it, or both. Hard habit to break! I had a few runs where I did it the right way and went further out, but I think a lot of the difficulty was because the waves were very far out.

shiznit
04-22-2007, 04:53 PM
front foot first isn't necisarely bad it's just that most people think that back foot is better it's all what u feal comfortable with at this moment in time also if it really is your 1st 2 days skiming then your gonna have to skim for a while before all this comes together also what kind of drop are u doing

flskimboarder
04-22-2007, 05:05 PM
practice makes perfect.

thats the key right here.

shiznit
04-22-2007, 05:11 PM
tru dat

haha i really wanted to say that and i don't know why that fraise has been just bothering me all day

worldridr768
04-22-2007, 05:14 PM
when I drop the board, I hold the left side of the board with my left hand and the tail with my right hand, and run a little lower than normal and drop the board trying to keep the nose up so it wont nosedive, and then run up to it and get on.

shiznit
04-22-2007, 05:43 PM
thats your problem you don't run up to it to reach waves u should be getting on the board to ride waves in atleast 2 steps most people do 1 steps or no steps i personely have a front foot first no step

worldridr768
04-22-2007, 07:14 PM
what? I don't know what you mean

Duffskim
04-22-2007, 07:24 PM
its possible that your are skimming at a beach that just isnt good for skimming. it is possible that the waves are unreachable

worldridr768
04-22-2007, 07:27 PM
I was thinking that too. thats probably the main problem

Walruz996
04-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Haha, there is no problem, you've been skimming two days, be patient.

PmillerNC
04-22-2007, 07:31 PM
go on youtube and search skimboarding. You can tell if its a good video or not. Watch how the guys will throw their board down, and jump on it right at the same time, thats what you should try to do.

DanZO
04-22-2007, 09:27 PM
how far out are the waves your trying to reach?

nofxfan
04-23-2007, 05:49 PM
i don't get that whole thing about one step drop. i tried but when i dropped it it didn't go down level. so i don't know how i could drop it perfectly level while running.

vbskimva
04-23-2007, 06:06 PM
i don't get that whole thing about one step drop. i tried but when i dropped it it didn't go down level. so i don't know how i could drop it perfectly level while running.

Drop it when you are on your lead foot. So by the time you drop the board the foot that wasn't the lead foot hits the ground about the same time as your board does. Then you can step on, with the foot that was originally your leadfoot.

As far as dropping the board, sometimes you have to drop it closer to the ground, like bending down a bit, or put sand on the bottom so the wind can't affect the board since it's heavier from the sand.

nofxfan
04-23-2007, 06:21 PM
^^^^
thanx that was very helpful.:)