PDA

View Full Version : Preventing and Dealing with Thigh Injury?

bmearns
07-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Skimming about a week and a half ago, I started getting a wicked charlie horse in my left thigh. I figured it'd work itself out so I kept going but it just got worse, and then started up in the other thigh, too. It's way up in the front of the leg, right about groin level, but further forward. 9 days later its a lot better but still a little sore. I can run fine, but if I try to sprint it starts up again, which is killing my skimboarding.

Anyone have a similar experience or have an idea of what exactly it is (I'm guessing a pulled muscle, but I don't know which one)? Any ideas for healing it faster or preventing it in the future? I've been doing quad stretches, but I think it's higher than that. Lifting my leg up and pulling it in towards my body helps a bit.

a_pla5tic_bag
07-24-2011, 09:23 AM
take a rest and stop skimming for a bit. ice it at night maybe? are you in shape?

bmearns
07-24-2011, 09:33 AM
I've been trying to take it easy, not doing any sprinting, trying to work more on my technique in the mean time. But taking a break sucks =(. I live two hours from the beach and I get like 15-20 sessions a year, hate to waste any of them. And of course the conditions have been great ever since I injured myself.

I'm not in great shape, but not too bad. I run 5k two or three times a week, and stretch regularly.

TheNorthCoaster
07-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Lots of icing. Put the ice on for like 10-15 min, then off for 5. And do it around 2 times a day. I've strained and pulled a bunch of muscles and it is not fun. Definitely stretch a lot.

I think you injured the same thing I did, the Rectus Femoris, look er up. Sprinters usually strain or tear it a lot because of how much stress is put on it while accelerating.

Oh and take a break for sure, when running track last year I strained the Rectus Femoris and I just ran with it for the rest of the season. At the end of the season I was in so much pain I couldn't participate and the whole first month of summer I couldn't sprint.

swiftlyskimin
07-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Ice it rest and before your next session stretch so you don't pull something.

LI HxC
07-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Just like any sport your muscles are worked in different ways for each different sport, because your running on soft sand alot it puts alot of new strain on your legs, groin and hips. Your probably just experiencing this because you just started skimming again.

brett00
07-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Just like any sport your muscles are worked in different ways for each different sport, because your running on soft sand alot it puts alot of new strain on your legs, groin and hips. Your probably just experiencing this because you just started skimming again.

noticed this after not skimming for a few weeks. came back the other day and now im really sore from a average skim sesh

Dave CCLF
07-24-2011, 10:50 AM
You NEED to stay off it. I know it sucks, I've been in the same position before looking at waves and tearing your hair out, but my friend kept skimming last year on a strained thigh and it put him out for the rest of the summer. Skimming on something that is sore is never worth it, you will lose more skim hours than if you laid off it to begin with and you're always risking permanent damage. Once you're not feeling it anymore, stretch the fuck out of it all the time. Gotta keep your muscles really loose for something as awkward and taxing as skimming.

TheNorthCoaster
07-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Pee on it

classic

bmearns
07-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks all, for the advice. I guess I already knew the answer, just hoping someone would have some great advice for how to get back to it sooner.

I tried peeing on it, but the lifeguards weren't psyched.

GvnrSkinkTyree
07-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks all, for the advice. I guess I already knew the answer, just hoping someone would have some great advice for how to get back to it sooner.

I tried peeing on it, but the lifeguards weren't psyched.

I came here to rag on you. But this made me laugh.

RexSkimmer
07-24-2011, 06:24 PM
I pulled my hamstring at the end of june and it was very minor, like I could only feel it if I sprinted. It took a good 3 weeks for it to heal to where I can skim again, and even now if I push it too hard I can still feel it. You just have to wait it out.

TheNorthCoaster
07-24-2011, 07:25 PM
iceeee

NJSkimr
07-24-2011, 11:16 PM
I know it sounds lame lol but honestly bro start stretching before you skim

bmearns
07-25-2011, 03:33 AM
I know it sounds lame lol but honestly bro start stretching before you skim

Thanks, Zach. I usually do a couple easy runs to warm up my muscles first, then stretch before I continue. I didn't even make it that far this time, I think I had overdone it a few days earlier.