PDA

View Full Version : Skimboard pads

Kevin23
04-11-2011, 03:55 AM
Is it possible to take the stomp pads off of a board and put them onto a different board? If possible how would someone do that? Thank you.

Jim Gordon
04-11-2011, 07:51 AM
I haven't really tried this.....but I think you can, by using a hair dryer on the pad. Just don't get it to hot though. I would also pull it up very slow, so as not to wreck the pad. Like I said, I haven't really tried this, just on stickers and in my mind.;)

Toggaf
04-11-2011, 08:10 AM
I haven't really tried this.....but I think you can, by using a hair dryer on the pad. Just don't get it to hot though. I would also pull it up very slow, so as not to wreck the pad. Like I said, I haven't really tried this, just on stickers and in my mind.;)

This^...You just apply heat using a blow dryer (not too much though because you don't want to de-laminate the board), pull up the pad slowly once the sticky stuff on the bottom has melted, and place it on another board. Sometimes it won't stick as well so you can glue it down to the board.

Supermahon949
04-11-2011, 09:09 AM
I'll be honest, I wouldn't recommend it...
The 3m Glue that they use is designed to be VERY adhesive, and only for once application.
You'll notice that often time once you put a pad down, and it comes off, you're left with a residue that is VERY difficult to remove, and once you have those impurities on your board, it's very difficult to re-apply another pad of your choice later.
So if you take off your old pad, put it on a new board, and it only sticks for a week, and it falls off, it's going to be hard to replace that pad with a new one without the same result.

But definitely utilize a blowdryer/heat gun to the back of your pads before application, and during removal. And don't forget to sand down your board where you want to apply the pad, make sure there's NO wax, no NOTHING, on the spot, and I like to go over it a quick time with some Rubbing Alcohol, then give it a second, and apply.

Jim Gordon
04-11-2011, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE=Supermahon949
But definitely utilize a blowdryer/heat gun to the back of your pads before application, and during removal. And don't forget to sand down your board where you want to apply the pad, make sure there's NO wax, no NOTHING, on the spot, and I like to go over it a quick time with some Rubbing Alcohol, then give it a second, and apply.[/QUOTE]

Also I use rubbing alcohol ^on my hands before I put on any pads. Your hands have more oil than you think on them, and if you touch the back of the pad they just won't stick are good. So clean your hands and board with alcohol for a pad that won't come off.

SANDSURFER007
04-11-2011, 02:12 PM
I'd like to see this. I've never had a pad come off so perfect that I could stick it on another board. Glue comes off on the board, pad rips. Etc.

Not a good idea that's why it's so important to put it on right the first time.
Post I'm some pics when you're done

MaStEr IrOc
04-11-2011, 02:18 PM
use goof off and get it under the pad. buy some other 3m spray on adhesive for when you transfer the pads. worked fine for me

Jim Gordon
04-11-2011, 05:55 PM
The best thing to do is.......once you put a pad on a board, just leave it on. And buy a new one for the other board.

dannyNHskim
04-11-2011, 06:07 PM
so the best way to take off a pad is a blow dryer? then just slowly take 'er off. then goo gone and alcohol. then new pad? im thinking of a new arch bar, my freak got sundied and the yellow is wicked faded

Brettohh
04-11-2011, 06:30 PM
You might need to sand off any residue as well