PDA

View Full Version : canon 5d vs 7d?

Beast
09-19-2010, 09:44 AM
im stuck between the two. Anyone have any suggestions? comments? help would be appreciated

zeus
09-19-2010, 09:53 AM
u just bought a hv40 like 8 months ago lol.

noahb
09-19-2010, 11:51 AM
i want a 7d sooooo bad...only prob is that fisheys are like a grand for it

Chrith
09-19-2010, 12:01 PM
gonna be taking alot of self portraits eh?

zeus
09-19-2010, 01:25 PM
took me a bit there chrith, but im still lolling from when i got the joke
+1

ELY89
09-19-2010, 05:09 PM
The Canon 5D Mark II is a full frame camera; meaning you have much more access towards wider angle frame shots. If you were to mount, for example, a 35mm lens on it, it will give you the full frame and not just a cropped image based on your sensor size. If your familiar with the Rebel series, (i have a Rebel Xsi) it's a cropped frame SLR. Meaning, that even though I can still achieve the same angle shot, in some way, the image will be cropped because of the size of the camera's sensor. The 5D is very good for taking portrait shots, landscapes, and just about anything. Has a really good ISO range for less grain during night shots. It also takes video. Matter fact, the season finale of HOUSE was shot with a Canon Mark II. With a very high megapixel rating, you'll have much finer pictures and video as well.

The Canon 7D is a mid-range camera between the beginner SLR camera such as the Rebel XSi and Advanced camera like the 5D. It offers Digic 4 sensor and has a very good metering. Metering, basically helps you have a sharper focus on subjects within your depth of field. With it's advanced metering, you def. helps to evaluate how much of an image is in focus & sharpened. At the same time, it does have a mid-range megapixel setting. However, unlike the Mark II, the 7D shoots at a faster frame rate. The video quality is hi-def as well and just as the same as the 5D Mark II. Overall, the camera is pretty solid.

If your going to be using these cameras, it requires more time and practice. Many of it's functions are required to have more manual control rather than auto settings. If you want the best out of your video, pictures, etc..you have to work with manually controlling your settings. If your used to shooting with a camcorder, it's going to be different with shooting with a DSLR. Camcorders have built in auto-focus features that focuses on fixed subjects. Though most DSLRS have that auto focus feature, in video modes, most of it must be done by manual focus. You have to be able to justify the subjects space and range in order to get the correct focus and depth of field. Not saying it's hard, but it is something you have to learn to do if you wanna utilize your camera the best way. These cameras are very high end and their names & price speaks for themselves.

I heard you have a Canon HV40..HV40 records just about the same frame rates that the 7D & 5D. I have a Canon HV30 and i've used this camera for nearly all my vids from 2008. Superb qaulity. Only draw back is that I still use Mini-DV tapes. HV40 uses flash memory if I remember correctly..or is it hard drive??? Anyways, yeah I think your Canon HV40 should suffice you well. But if you wanna step up your footage a notch, then go for a more advanced camera. Just remember that when you do, everything comes down to manual settings. Unlike a camcorder, you can just set it and forget it at that. If you wanna avoid the bells and whistles, stick with the camcorder..But if your serious about the 2 cameras, I'd say go for it.

Between the 2, I'd def. go for the 7D. If not the 7D, the Canon T2i is like the little brother to the 7D. Takes exactly the same movie frame rate but smaller. Hope this helps.

I'm a camera nerd...

rideaskim
09-19-2010, 07:10 PM
if im not mistaken the 5d still cant record at 60p unless they released another firmware update. not that is huge but its a nice feature about the 7d.

are you looking to film or take photos? or a mixture?

i have a 7d right now. absolutely love it. hopefully soon i will have a 5d as well.

Beast
09-19-2010, 07:11 PM
The Canon 5D Mark II is a full frame camera; meaning you have much more access towards wider angle frame shots. If you were to mount, for example, a 35mm lens on it, it will give you the full frame and not just a cropped image based on your sensor size. If your familiar with the Rebel series, (i have a Rebel Xsi) it's a cropped frame SLR. Meaning, that even though I can still achieve the same angle shot, in some way, the image will be cropped because of the size of the camera's sensor. The 5D is very good for taking portrait shots, landscapes, and just about anything. Has a really good ISO range for less grain during night shots. It also takes video. Matter fact, the season finale of HOUSE was shot with a Canon Mark II. With a very high megapixel rating, you'll have much finer pictures and video as well.

The Canon 7D is a mid-range camera between the beginner SLR camera such as the Rebel XSi and Advanced camera like the 5D. It offers Digic 4 sensor and has a very good metering. Metering, basically helps you have a sharper focus on subjects within your depth of field. With it's advanced metering, you def. helps to evaluate how much of an image is in focus & sharpened. At the same time, it does have a mid-range megapixel setting. However, unlike the Mark II, the 7D shoots at a faster frame rate. The video quality is hi-def as well and just as the same as the 5D Mark II. Overall, the camera is pretty solid.

If your going to be using these cameras, it requires more time and practice. Many of it's functions are required to have more manual control rather than auto settings. If you want the best out of your video, pictures, etc..you have to work with manually controlling your settings. If your used to shooting with a camcorder, it's going to be different with shooting with a DSLR. Camcorders have built in auto-focus features that focuses on fixed subjects. Though most DSLRS have that auto focus feature, in video modes, most of it must be done by manual focus. You have to be able to justify the subjects space and range in order to get the correct focus and depth of field. Not saying it's hard, but it is something you have to learn to do if you wanna utilize your camera the best way. These cameras are very high end and their names & price speaks for themselves.

I heard you have a Canon HV40..HV40 records just about the same frame rates that the 7D & 5D. I have a Canon HV30 and i've used this camera for nearly all my vids from 2008. Superb qaulity. Only draw back is that I still use Mini-DV tapes. HV40 uses flash memory if I remember correctly..or is it hard drive??? Anyways, yeah I think your Canon HV40 should suffice you well. But if you wanna step up your footage a notch, then go for a more advanced camera. Just remember that when you do, everything comes down to manual settings. Unlike a camcorder, you can just set it and forget it at that. If you wanna avoid the bells and whistles, stick with the camcorder..But if your serious about the 2 cameras, I'd say go for it.

Between the 2, I'd def. go for the 7D. If not the 7D, the Canon T2i is like the little brother to the 7D. Takes exactly the same movie frame rate but smaller. Hope this helps.

I'm a camera nerd...

thanks that was very helpful man.. u hear the rumors bout the 5d mark III coming out soon?

rideaskim
09-19-2010, 07:19 PM
i want a 7d sooooo bad...only prob is that fisheys are like a grand for it

you can get the opteka/bower/samyang/peeleng for about $250-300 and they are pretty good for video. not the best for photos but not terrible. the sigma 10mm is only $650 the only one over a 1000 is the 8-15 L lens.

xsbcx
09-19-2010, 07:24 PM
im running the 7d with a 10-20..the 7d is a jewel though.. im damn impressed with it..... but i have to still sink more money in my housing.. my 50 housing wond hold the 7d and the guy wont mod it

ELY89
09-19-2010, 07:47 PM
if im not mistaken the 5d still cant record at 60p unless they released another firmware update. not that is huge but its a nice feature about the 7d.

are you looking to film or take photos? or a mixture?

i have a 7d right now. absolutely love it. hopefully soon i will have a 5d as well.

Yeah I believe your right. I didn't get a chance to read the full specs on a 5D. It came out sometime around 2008. It was actually Canon's competitor a long side Nikon's D90..

but

"16:9 Full HD movie capture at 1920 x 1080 pixels and 30 fps as well as 4:3 standard TV quality (SD) movie capture at 640 x 480 pixels and 30 fps."

Most of the slow motion you seen done, are made with 60fps. 7D records at an option of 30fps, 24fps, and 60fps. 24fps is the cinema-feature that adds that documentry look. 60fps allows more editing space when dealing with slow mo and such. 30fps is pretty much all around, especially for online use.

thebigNB
09-19-2010, 07:49 PM
nikon 7000 looks nice...just came out...i think thats what its called

ELY89
09-19-2010, 07:52 PM
thanks that was very helpful man.. u hear the rumors bout the 5d mark III coming out soon?

Mark III is already out. It's gonna run you $5,000+..unless your a die hard photography nut or do photography as your life's profession, by all means...With a camera like that, I myself, probably wouldn't use it to it's fullest potential. Simple DSLRS such as my XSi, soon to be T2i or 7D, is basically all i need to get me by. Unless I strike it rich, yeah I'd go for the gusto.

ELY89
09-19-2010, 08:03 PM
http://www.nikondigitalslr.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/d3.jpg

get the most bang outta ya buck with the D3X. ISO up to 6400..realllllyy good for night photography.

EDIT

Opps, yea it is D3s..I was nearly asleep commenting on here.

tails
09-20-2010, 03:06 AM
i think you mean d3s!

get the 5d if youre going to be doing portraits/still photography
get the 7d if your going to do sports/action. although i have a friend who reckons the 7d still has the same focus problems that plagued the 1d mark 3 and prefers his 1d mark 2n

if you havent already with a lot of canon gear id go a nikon d700, best of both worlds

wardovision
09-20-2010, 03:18 AM
Mark III is already out. .

No it's not. It hasn't been been announced yet. Sometime in 2011

ELY89
09-20-2010, 04:39 AM
No it's not. It hasn't been been announced yet. Sometime in 2011

Are we talkin bout the same one? eos 1d? I might have it confused for something else then.

jesse
09-20-2010, 08:40 AM
he was referring to the 5d mk 3

might want to also consider the t2i and the new 60d coming out in october.

Beast
09-20-2010, 09:41 AM
t2i is already out the canon eos 5d mark III is not.. i think i heard early next year, but canon likes to keep these releases very hush so people dont sit back and not buy other canon cameras because they are waiting for the new 5d

jesse
09-20-2010, 09:54 AM
I have the t2i... I was saying you should look into it. Half the price of the 7d and almost as good. save the 700 and get an L lens.

wardovision
09-20-2010, 09:54 AM
what will you be using the camera mainly for? video or stills?

The 60d hit stores last week (saw 1 Best Buy has them) for $1099.

Beast
09-20-2010, 10:31 AM
what will you be using the camera mainly for? video or stills?

The 60d hit stores last week (saw 1 Best Buy has them) for $1099.

mainly video