PDA

View Full Version : Indie

Michael Fk
04-06-2010, 07:12 AM
What do you think about it as a way of thinking, living?

I myself got real deep into it and I hate it now, I feel like it makes me criticize everyone that "just heard of that band" or "likes to wear that shirt".

It should be total individual thinking, but I know for the most part it just transforms people into judging the kid with the vans on or the freestyle watch.

garrett850
04-06-2010, 07:20 AM
just be yourself mike

xenjoiii
04-06-2010, 07:31 AM
Indie, Punk, Rap, Hip Hop, Country, etc. etc. All different genres of music bring along a different scene with them. Indie just happens to be on the artsy side. Being judged for looking "Indie" is like you saying look at that kids studded jacket what is he thinking.

Its just what you like man. My friends joke about my style all the time, call me a hipster, this and that. who cares man, just do you. If you enjoy the type of culture it brings along, be apart of it. dont be scared to because someone else you know is too.

GvnrSkinkTyree
04-06-2010, 07:38 AM
While I do it, its not a good outlook on life, pretty shitty actually.. Classic example I heard Kings Of Leon at Bonnaroo 2005. 5 years later "OMG HAVE YOU HEARD THIS NEW BAND!" I'm like "wtf! new? are you fucking joking me?" and i hated everyone. Now I'm friendless. PS-How can you hate on somone for wearing Vans? I'm sure you'd look at me and my vans and hate and I'd look at you and be like "Bitch I've been rocking Vans since your were in diapers Mike" And someone else could say the same to me they've been around since 76.

Michael Fk
04-06-2010, 07:39 AM
I know that's what I want to do, but it's hard I keep finding myself judging everything and I feel that it's indie that has changed me.

I mean I know what I enjoy and I like doing it, regardless of what people say. It's super confusing, but I see it in a few other kids too. Everything seems so fake from this point of view. I can't stop looking at things and thinking that's not what the person really meant or how they really felt.

doug
04-06-2010, 07:42 AM
If you look at a fashion trend as a way of life, you need a serious reality check. They're fucking clothes.

Michael Fk
04-06-2010, 07:43 AM
While I do it, its not a good outlook on life, pretty shitty actually.. Classic example I heard Kings Of Leon at Bonnaroo 2005. 5 years later "OMG HAVE YOU HEARD THIS NEW BAND!" I'm like "wtf! new? are you fucking joking me?" and i hated everyone. Now I'm friendless. PS-How can you hate on somone for wearing Vans? I'm sure you'd look at me and my vans and hate and I'd look at you and be like "Bitch I've been rocking Vans since your were in diapers Mike" And someone else could say the same to me they've been around since 76.

Yeah I know what ya mean. Well ACTUAL indie thinking on both parts is "I love the way vans look and feel on my feet", and the person judging saying "why am I judging if he wears vans, he probably likes him".

Vans and freestyle watches are a popular topic for me because there's around 40 kids at my school who have never surfed or skated and wear vans, and what I don't like is how I judge it without even thinking... I mean should I really give a shit? No. But it does make me mad.

In the simplest way I can think of: I WANT to hate trends because it makes me feel indie and sorta better than the kids who do follow tghem, but what's actually indie would be not caring about trends in general because you are 100% doing what you like and know

Michael Fk
04-06-2010, 07:45 AM
If you look at a fashion trend as a way of life, you need a serious reality check. They're fucking clothes.

Fucking clothes are a pretty big part of life. Whether you can argue it should be or not. I agree, it's stupid, but no one is going to change that.

Job interviews, school dress codes, everything. We can all agree this world would be more actual if everyone was just wearing what is comfortable, but fashion represents people and honestly it's what most people are judged on at first glance, regardless if that's right or wrong.

xenjoiii
04-06-2010, 07:49 AM
We'll Indie hasn't changed me. I like the music, the fashion, the artsy stuff. everything that comes along with it. when I find a new band or something cool from it, I always show my friends (majority are hardcore hiphop/rap fanatics) everyone once in a while ill come across something show them an they love it. You need to stop being so selfish and share what the culture has. You arent the only one who appreciates it, so judging others who do just makes you a dick.

xenjoiii
04-06-2010, 07:50 AM
Fucking clothes are a pretty big part of life. Whether you can argue it should be or not. I agree, it's stupid, but no one is going to change that.

Job interviews, school dress codes, everything. We can all agree this world would be more actual if everyone was just wearing what is comfortable, but fashion represents people and honestly it's what most people are judged on at first glance, regardless if that's right or wrong.

+1. nailed that one on the head.

Michael Fk
04-06-2010, 07:52 AM
We'll Indie hasn't changed me. I like the music, the fashion, the artsy stuff. everything that comes along with it. when I find a new band or something cool from it, I always show my friends (majority are hardcore hiphop/rap fanatics) everyone once in a while ill come across something show them an they love it. You need to stop being so selfish and share what the culture has. You arent the only one who appreciates it, so judging others who do just makes you a dick.

Well that's the problem I'm kinda facing. Every song I find, I post it on facebook. I love when I see music going around that I've introduced or that is similar to my taste but hasn't been overplayed yet. I try to share everything, making a tumblr and putting up everything I find. But it all feels kinda fake, maybe this is all more of an individual problem on my part, either way I was seeing what your opinion on indie was

TheSeaCowww
04-06-2010, 07:55 AM
judging others is inevitable, but ive found myself doing less of it and judging people in a way that if i said out loud what I was thinking, I wouldn't seem like an asshole.

I dont think I know a person who doesnt own a pair of vans.

Michael Fk
04-06-2010, 07:59 AM
ya I gotcha. The conclusion I've made is by getting into indie, we start judging people on "their indie", which is missing the whole point of it being about yourself.

CaboWabo
04-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Being so judgmental isn't just indie...it's every one. The bar I frequent the most is mainly indie/scene whatever it's called and I definitely get along with a lot of people there despite the fact they call me out for being "bro", haha. Venturing outside that bar just gets stupid though, you'll find the real bro's with studded affliction/ed hardy shirts and jeans or the above the knee khaki shorts with pastel polo frat/redneck dudes which are both much worse than the indie crowd. We definitely don't see eye to eye on music though, I generally go there when it's a band I can tolerate, something more punk or hardcore or when they have a dance party.

SkimNate
04-06-2010, 08:25 AM
i had a following at my school when i left. indie kids bought the same car as me and started listening to techno because i did.

sheeple. i just didnt give a fuck but that made me indie? i dont think so

Michael Fk
04-06-2010, 11:24 AM
youre in idiot for making a thread like this. what are you i like second grade. the reasons reacism and judgement and things of that nature even exist is because of people like you. you sound like you are in 8th grade. or maybe 9th.

someone forgot to sign this, who wants to claim this?

LAXitives288
04-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Didn't read everything because honestly this whole "problem" is stupid. Just because you dress a certain way or listen to certain type of music doesn't make you anything. I dress in typical surfer/skater type shit, surf tees, shorts/baggies, lakais, etc etc, I typically listen to hipster/indie music, im a fucking grease monkey/gear head. I don't do any of it because it's how I want people to pigeonhole and judge me, I do it because its what I like. If you're so caught up in the fact that the "indie way of life" is changing how you are and you don't like it, change it. If you feel it necessary to define yourself by the music you listen to or the clothes you wear, I feel sorry for you. If you define yourself by the ideas, attitude and way you treat other people, then you have your head in the right place. If people want to judge me by the music I listen to or the clothes I wear, I say "Fuck them!" I don't want to hang around you if thats how you typically treat other people.

Also, about the judging other people based on what they wear etc, everyone is guilty of that to some degree and I certainly catch myself doing it a lot. Thats not a facet of being a hipster or indie, its just a general way the brain works into classifying people. So long as you realize that judging people based on their clothes is a little stupid and have an open mind to having your own stereotypes completely proven wrong and broken, then youll be fine. Just make a conscious effort not to pigeonhole people based on what they wear, pigeonhole them based on their actions and words.

Thrillhouse
04-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Everything in this world is cliquey (spl?). There are very few originators. Mostly because you are a byproduct of your environment, experiences, encounters, exposures, etc. Put a person in a glass room, mirrored, with no exposure to anything from birth to adulthood and you can make them what you want them to be.

Round about point, being part of a clique, movement or scene will only make you
A) eventually find things wrong with other people/cliques
B) make you feel comfortable

In the end, people always say, "just be yourself". But what is that really?

I think the true mentality is to try and understand everything around you. Try to gain respect and understand why others flock to their clique. What intrigues them about it (Ex. fashion, music, meaning, symbolism, etc)? In the end this will make you a more well rounded person & less superficial/stereotypical like the rest of society.

Dave CCLF
04-06-2010, 12:40 PM
If you feel it necessary to define yourself by the music you listen to or the clothes you wear, I feel sorry for you. If you define yourself by the ideas, attitude and way you treat other people, then you have your head in the right place.

I think that this is basically what happens over time. When I was younger (high school) I was very seriously concerned with being punk as fuck. mohawk, bondage pants, the whole 9 yards. But at a certain point I realized it was actually changing my world view and the way I was treating people as a human and I did some soul searching. I still wear studs, play in a punk band and have a very anti-authoritarian mentality, but that need to be portrayed as something bigger than myself doesn't control my life like it did. All in all, I think that's teenage years in a nutshell. You get into something extreme for a natural reason based on your personality, go overboard with it and take the positives and leave the negatives behind as you grow older.

Ill Perfection
04-06-2010, 01:27 PM
I think that this is basically what happens over time. When I was younger (high school) I was very seriously concerned with being punk as fuck. mohawk, bondage pants, the whole 9 yards. But at a certain point I realized it was actually changing my world view and the way I was treating people as a human and I did some soul searching. I still wear studs, play in a punk band and have a very anti-authoritarian mentality, but that need to be portrayed as something bigger than myself doesn't control my life like it did. All in all, I think that's teenage years in a nutshell. You get into something extreme for a natural reason based on your personality, go overboard with it and take the positives and leave the negatives behind as you grow older.
Fuck Dave, you just took the words out of my mouth. I was the exact same (hardcore gutter punk). I fully embraced the lifestyle. Lived with my GF's, drank, partied, did drugs like there was no tomorrow. I didn't even care if I ended up on the street. It consumes you. In the last 10 years I've grown as a person and figured shit out. I'll always be a punk rocker until the day I die just not with the extreme attitude and views I had then.

Luff
04-06-2010, 02:30 PM

I myself got real deep into it and I hate it now, I feel like it makes me criticize everyone that "just heard of that band" or "likes to wear that shirt".

It should be total individual thinking, but I know for the most part it just transforms people into judging the kid with the vans on or the freestyle watch.

bahahah wtf.

because you got SO DEEP into indie you cant help but criticize people? are you gonna let trends run your life?

wow man, just wow.

indie doesnt transform people, YOU are the one being judgmental, not the trends that make up your way of life.

bahahaha i still cant believe this, hilarious.

GUYS IM SO DEEP INTO INDIE I CANT GET OUT ITS SUCKED ME UP HELPPP.

carbonisyourfriend
04-06-2010, 03:05 PM
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kz1a9mUiby1qz4mb2o1_500.jpg

Noodles
04-06-2010, 03:11 PM

Damn dude, take a cold shower and wake the fuck up. You're just a narcissistic douche bag.

Michael Fk
04-06-2010, 03:21 PM
I guess I phrased that pretty badly. What I meant was I was going hard to be indie just for the wrong reasons and I changed because of it.

Luff
04-06-2010, 03:38 PM
I guess I phrased that pretty badly. What I meant was I was going hard to be indie just for the wrong reasons and I changed because of it.

ahahahah

GOING HARD INDIE

oh mannn

Kude
04-06-2010, 04:19 PM
This could actually lead into a very philosophical discussion.. Being 'indie' should make you be aware of stereotypes and cliques, and not fall into the 'indie' stereotype that does exist. If you do fall prey to the indie stereotype, and think your a 'hipster', then you're probably losing the reason you became 'indie', to escape the majority/minority. Just do what you do, as cliche as it sounds, and you will realize your true self, not what indie's pillars of hipsterness deem radical.

Also, you're just judging people, we all do it, and since you think being indie makes you superior than everyone else, you just judge through an indie lens.

Chrith
04-06-2010, 04:47 PM
wear whatever the fuck you want to wear. thats what i do

DjMattyD
04-06-2010, 05:05 PM
http://mirror.servut.us/kuvat/meinung/lol_wut_pear_pink.jpg

Fuji
04-06-2010, 05:55 PM
your gonna meet people who wear hollister and surf clothes at the same time, its a little odd but you cant judge the person for it.

Hell i sometimes wear a polo with a tiny eagle emblem (american eagle) to school (private school w/dress code). not because i think its cool but its what my motha bought me feshman year and they still fit 2 years later,

clothes are just peices of colored thread, you can buy them cause they have sick designs or support something you like, but they shouldnt define you.

Ill Perfection
04-06-2010, 06:01 PM
your gonna meet people who wear hollister and surf clothes at the same time, its a little odd but you cant judge the person for it.
Watch me

Fuji
04-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Watch me

go ahead man, i wont judge

skimfl
04-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Lol people can be classified as indie now too? How about call it being yourself and leaving it at that?

About that whole classifying somebody by how they dress, why? What if somebody was really stoked on skimming and wore affliction and Ed hardy? Would be a mindfuck at first but it shouldn't be that way.

LAXitives288
04-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Ed Hardy wearers are one of the few groups of people that are fair game to judge by clothes alone.

LiveToSkim
04-06-2010, 09:13 PM
haha yeah i was just thinking that...Ed Hardy and Affliction wearers are *almost* always complete douchebags.

Fuji
04-07-2010, 07:09 PM
whats ed hardy?

Steve E
04-07-2010, 08:19 PM
lol @ thread