PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Brake Adjustment

Gunstock
03-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Dudes, I don't know shit about cars, but I know some of you do.

My car failed inspection because the emergency brake supposedly doesnt hold my car.

Does anyone know how to adjust the emergency brake on a 2003 Ford Explorer?

If you help me out, I will internet high five you.

o/ \o

DT
03-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Some cars you backup and pull the e-brake [hard], otherwise the only way I know is on the brake itself (i.e., removing wheel).

GnipGnop
03-05-2009, 10:53 AM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_adjust_the_emergency_brake_tension

there should be a spot where the cable meets up underneath. there should be some nuts you can turn to tighten or loosen. i cant tell you exactly where but it should give you an idea. try and follow the cable and see. if it's seized you are fucked though.

Gunstock
03-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks bros, I'll give each one a try and see what happens.

_o/ \o_ internet high five

GnipGnop
03-05-2009, 11:03 AM
down low brah

Jim Gordon
03-05-2009, 09:45 PM
There's a single cable going from the parking brake to the back of the transmission. From there, it splits and goes to two cables. One goes to the left back wheel and one goes to the right side wheel. Near where the cable splits should be a lock nut on the single cable. Loosen the small lock nut and tighten the long-looking nut, some cars only have one adjustment nut though. Before you do this, make sure the parking brake is off though. When the brake is off, both wheels should spin free. Back off the lock nut just enough so the brakes stop rubbing when you spin each wheel. Make sure to re-tighen the lock nut. Before doing this though, you can adjust the back brakes by making a series of foward and reverse stops (about 10 of them) this will bring the brake shoes into proper relationship with the brake drums. After doing this your parking brake might work fine and no adjustment is needed.

Gunstock
03-06-2009, 07:32 AM
None of that stuff ended up working. had to take it to the shop to get it fixed. The actually shoes were broken so I had to get them replaced.

Thanks dudes