PDA

View Full Version : windsurfing

ghostsushi
01-22-2009, 03:35 PM
so i just inherited a 12 footie windsurfer and am gna give it a shot tomorrow, any sombies know anything about it enough to pass down some beginner info?

CaboWabo
01-22-2009, 03:52 PM
What size sail and what type? If it's either too big or an old dacron sail, then it will suck. Ideally you want around 5-10 mph winds and a 4.0-4.7ish meter sail.

Remember to put your centerboard down.

Stradle the mast and stand with the arches of your feet right over the center line of the board.

Starting out hold onto the mast with your front hand and keep that arm straight. Only bend the elbow of your back arm and do that to power up or power down the sail. Best way to think of this is a bow and arrow, keep your leading arm straight and push/pull with your back hand.

To steer lean the sail towards the nose or tail. Towards the nose turns you away from the wind, towards the tail turns you into the wind...straight up and down is sailing in a straight line.

...of course, stand on the right side of the board...the wind should be hitting you in the back.

If you can get up and sail in a straight line I'll be impressed, with out lessons this sport is a mother fucker.

Richard
01-22-2009, 03:55 PM
it can be fun! but if you're trying it for the first time, just don't go too far out of the shore, or else you'll have to swim!!!

ghostsushi
01-22-2009, 04:00 PM
What size sail and what type? If it's either too big or an old dacron sail, then it will suck. Ideally you want around 5-10 mph winds and a 4.0-4.7ish meter sail.

Remember to put your centerboard down.

Stradle the mast and stand with the arches of your feet right over the center line of the board.

Starting out hold onto the mast with your front hand and keep that arm straight. Only bend the elbow of your back arm and do that to power up or power down the sail. Best way to think of this is a bow and arrow, keep your leading arm straight and push/pull with your back hand.

To steer lean the sail towards the nose or tail. Towards the nose turns you away from the wind, towards the tail turns you into the wind...straight up and down is sailing in a straight line.

...of course, stand on the right side of the board...the wind should be hitting you in the back.

If you can get up and sail in a straight line I'll be impressed, with out lessons this sport is a mother fucker.
lol, i'm going to give it a shot in the 40 degree jersey wind tomorrow. its supposed to be 8mph which sounds good. the woman that gave it to me said the sail was small and the board is 12 feet, which they said was ideal for learning. it is old though, but hell, free is free. thanks for the info, really appreciate it. i hope i don't get stuck in the middle of the atlantic. i'd bug out for sure

edit: yeahh def wont rich. i'd lose my mind if i got stuck out there

Islandboy
01-22-2009, 06:19 PM
If its 12 feet long I figure you could probably stand up on it before you get going. So the first thing I would say do is get used to balancing on the board and hauling the sail up to you. Like Cabo Wabo said, straddling the sail is best with your wieght centered on the board.

Also, make sure you take the time when setting up the sail to make it nice and tight, a loose sail is gonna make it a lot harder for wind energy to transfer to the sail.

Is the sail set up already? If not, and even if its your first time, I would suggest looking online for tips on rigging the outhaul and downhaul. This might help, but its not detailed enough for a beginner: http://www.ehow.com/how_8989_rig-windsurf-board.html Again you wanna make sure everything is tight.

Like Cabo said, make sure the centerboard is down before you start going, it'll make balancing a lot easier.

And take a few mins to really think about the wind, where you're gonna go, and how to steer the board. Leaning the sail forward pushes the nose of the board out, and leaning the sail back pushes the tail out (making the nose turn in). (As Cabo said).

Its pretty difficult to steer and control where you're going at first, so make sure the wind can't take you anywhere you can't get back from. I.e. It would be best for the wind to push you along the shore rather than away from it. If all else fails just jump off and swim the board back, just try not to get too far away from shore.

I don't think its really that hard once you get the basics down, but getting the basics can be frustrating especially if you're by yourself.

Ohhh yea:
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1968/5/71/510493673/n510493673_1145088_4746.jpg

CaboWabo
01-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Body drag bitchezzz

http://b8.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01496/81/39/1496609318_l.jpg

I probably fell.

BullDawg
01-23-2009, 03:34 AM
Stradle the mast

Austin's favorite trick! Just kidding buddy, let's skim soon! I am only one state over and willing to travel to the gulf when y'all get some skim--lets drink some beers....