PDA

View Full Version : Psychics

Thrillhouse
11-04-2008, 09:01 AM
What are your thoughts on Psychics? Have you ever been to one, had your future read via tarot cards, palm reading, etc? I know people that believe they are legit and would vouch for them 100%. Then I know people who think it's complete horse shit.

Share your opinions or stories...

I even added a poll just for fun

garebear
11-04-2008, 09:17 AM
some are real some are bs. in otherwords dont group them all into 1 category.

Pat-Juh
11-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Pure Horsemanure! My future is completely based on what choices I make... If they tell me what my future is and I don't want that to happen I can choose different thus their prediction is WRONG

And besides how the fuck is it possible to know what I am going to do and what choices I am going to make... offcourse some of them are really good at asking questions and seeing what kind of person you are so they can tell you the things you are most likely going to do or what you can encounter, but that's possible to allmost everyone with enough training.

Icej
11-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Ha I thought this said physics.

solvenskim
11-04-2008, 09:22 AM
I first I read physics and the poll and I wondered who didn't believe in physics.

Islandboy
11-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Lol, I wasn't even going to click this thread because I thought it said Physics as well, and was some homework help thread or something.

And to answer the question, I stay away from psychics, I used to be curious about the whole thing, but nowadays I wouldn't give a shit what they had to say, and probably wouldn't believe any of it, so its not worth my time.

I used to scan the horoscopes in my newspaper every now and then just cuz they were there but thats about it.

Icej
11-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Can we at least talk about some physics?

ZapBulletRider
11-04-2008, 11:29 AM
There's no in between option. While I feel like everyone has a very weak psychic connection, and some can tap into this more effectively than others, I think 99% of self-proclaimed psychics are bullshit. It's kind of like how technically we all have a gravitational field and gravitational attraction between each other but it's not perceptible. The difference is there is no scientific theory that explains or predicts psychic abilities so it's more of a metaphysical argument

skimcowboy
11-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, Ghosts, Psychics, God.

All are made up too make money$$$

DrD
11-04-2008, 11:47 AM
I think they are all bullshit. I was reading a book one time, can't remember which one, and they had a typical paragraph of what psychics would tell their clients about their future. The study found that 80% of the paragraph came true for everyone who was told the story. Basically the paragraph was filled with broad generalizations, prophets do this all the time, so that it will come true.

BART
11-04-2008, 11:48 AM
There's no in between option. While I feel like everyone has a very weak psychic connection, and some can tap into this more effectively than others, I think 99% of self-proclaimed psychics are bullshit. It's kind of like how technically we all have a gravitational field and gravitational attraction between each other but it's not perceptible. The difference is there is no scientific theory that explains or predicts psychic abilities so it's more of a metaphysical argumentwhat is this conclusion of yours based on? just wondering.

edit- dont read too much into my question, i'm just curious what brought you to this interpretation of the world

Thrillhouse
11-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Whit, good point. Going back to the Web bot thread, weren't they piggy backing on the idea that we all have some form of psychic ability?

GnipGnop
11-04-2008, 11:57 AM
BS.

http://skepdic.com/randi.html
I think we've done this before haven't we?

BART
11-04-2008, 11:59 AM
i have never seen anything that has convinced me of a psychic power.

i do see things like twins saying the exact same thing simultaneously, or sometimes my wife will complete me sentences, or even seem to know what i'm thinking. obviously we respond and physically read each other subconsciously, but i think it's confusing to label it 'psychic', simply because the word is dominated with foo-foo nonsense, scams, and delusional people.

one question. wtf is up with women who work in an office together, or live in the dorms together, evenutally getting on the same menstrual cycle? myth, coincidence, or is that real? women have told me this happens all the time...

ZapBulletRider
11-04-2008, 12:00 PM
just personal experience, knowing people who seemed to have uncanny instincts and just seem to be able to predict things with remarkable accuracy. Physics tells us of the various forces that act on and between matter, it's my personal belief that this extends beyond what we can understand at the moment, to include psychic connections between living things. I've said before, I think "the force" in Star Wars is not a bad representation of the idea of God and connection between all living things, of course it's taken to an extreme but I believe on some level something like that exists. I mean you look at twins and how they almost always have an uncanny mental connection, this could be one example where a psychic connection like that is barely perceivable. I know it sounds ridiculous to some people who see things as black and white, this is what's proven and everything else is bullshit, but I think we've only scratched the surface in terms of understanding the universe.

Now, like I said, I think 99% of people who call themselves "psychics" are full of shit. I don't think anybody, I mean who knows maybe a few, that's why I left that 1% there, but nobody has the level of psychic ability to be able to consistently predict how and when something will happen. There is a lot of strange shit in the world. There could be some shaman in south america with a watermelon sized head that has extreme psychic ability but the Miss Cleos of the world are just scam artists.

BART
11-04-2008, 12:04 PM
btw richard dawkins did a documentary for british tv on psychics and superstition called "enemies of reason". i found it entertaining just too see and how crazy some people are and see how grumpy and cynical dawkins could get. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7218293233140975017&hl=en

edit - not a response to you zbr havent read your post yet

DrD
11-04-2008, 12:11 PM
i have never seen anything that has convinced me of a psychic power.

i do see things like twins saying the exact same thing simultaneously, or sometimes my wife will complete me sentences, or even seem to know what i'm thinking. obviously we respond and physically read each other subconsciously, but i think it's confusing to label it 'psychic', simply because the word is dominated with foo-foo nonsense, scams, and delusional people.

I don't think that has anything to do with 'psychic powers' rather it has to do with communication and knowing the other person very well. Remember, only 7% of communication is through spoken words. 55% is done through body language and the other 38% is done through tonality. In fact, any person with a basic knowledge of body language can understand what someone else is thinking about. And supposedly, haven't found any studies on it but have heard this before, women are much better at reading body language than men are for child caring reasons.

BART
11-04-2008, 12:14 PM
that's basically what i was saying, i don't think it's a psychic power in terms of how the term is typically used as some sort of transcendent mental magic, but more of a subconscious reading of someone physically, or understanding through experience what someones thought patterns are and being able to predict them, etc.

DrD
11-04-2008, 12:15 PM
that's basically what i was saying, i don't think it's a psychic power but more of a reading of someone physically, or understand through experience what someone thought patterns are and being able to predict them, etc.

Yeah and just add a dark room, circular table, crystal ball, weird noises and you get a psychic!