PDA

View Full Version : how to buy surfboard?

sandsurfngbomber
09-11-2008, 02:51 PM
i need to buy two surfboards within the next week

here is why:
i visit some kids at a hospital nearby, i was watching tv with Terry Anderon (10 year old boy i've been visiting for a couple years now) and they showed a clip of a surfer and Terry looks at me and says "raza, do you have a surfboard?" i said "no...why?" - "i want to go surfing" - "dude, we cant really surf on our side of lake michigan...(and explained him why)"...so he says "well i dont care about going through waves (i believe he meant barreling through one)...i just want to go out on one and stand up on it"

so now i m determined to buy that kid a surfboard and take him out on the lake, i took him skimboarding a couple times but since he's hospitalized and kinda weak he doesnt really like the whole concept of running, dropping and then jumping on it (i think thats why he doesnt it like it)...
he really isnt expecting much, i can tell, i think he just likes the concept of being out on the ocean/lake on a board, paddeling out there and back. i told him about bodyboarding but he has his heart set on surfing, i think its because of that movie surf's up...

but i dont know crap about surfboards so i need your help to figure out what the hell i need to get...
Terry - about 4' 7-8" and i believe a little under 100lbs
Me - about 5' 7-8'' and about 140lbs

what kind of board do you recommend (type, brand, size, whatever)?

p.s. there will be a boat by us just to make sure if anything happens...could the boat whip up some little waves that we could bump out boards on??

CustomKO
09-11-2008, 02:52 PM
pay with money

chemkexx
09-11-2008, 02:55 PM
consider renting

sandsurfngbomber
09-11-2008, 02:56 PM
pay with money

...i plan on doing so

Chrith
09-11-2008, 02:57 PM
credit or debit

sandsurfngbomber
09-11-2008, 02:59 PM
consider renting

nah, i m sure he would like to keep the his board
i was thinking i could get the hospital to let me rack it in his room or something, i m sure he would love that
money isnt the issue, i just want that kid to have a good time

and i'll keep my board for whenever i get an opportunity to travel somewhere with waves

Utah
09-11-2008, 03:00 PM
I would talk to a local shop and explain the situation. Then talk to the local news papers and news channels. Explain to the shop that if they will loan you two board for an afternoon, that you will get media coverage of the event and that it would be great publicity for their shop... If I was a shop owner, I would go for it... Definitely worth a try...

Utah
09-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Alright, first off, damn you for posting 1 minute before me...

Still talk to the shop with regards to the media and what not and see if they would be willing to donate or at the very least, give you a severly discounted price due to the cause of the situation...

sandsurfngbomber
09-11-2008, 03:03 PM
I would talk to a local shop and explain the situation. Then talk to the local news papers and news channels. Explain to the shop that if they will loan you two board for an afternoon, that you will get media coverage of the event and that it would be great publicity for their shop... If I was a shop owner, I would go for it... Definitely worth a try...

haha, dude we have no local shops
chicago has no surfing potential, barely any skim

and i dont want terry to feel uncomfortable with news people in his face, he is pretty shy so if there are people taking pictures and shit he might get a little scared
and like i said money isnt really a problem, i make enough to be able to buy a surfboard when my kid wants one...i just need to know what i need to buy

VaSkimer18
09-11-2008, 03:05 PM
maybe try ebay?

You might be able to find some deals.

benmasters
09-11-2008, 03:08 PM
try craigslist, ya never know. ull prob want to get the kid a foamie. and for u get something thats worth keeping if u plan on using it.

CustomKO
09-11-2008, 03:14 PM
even contact your local skateshop , they usually do have a surfboard , just walk in there and tell em about what your doing , they will probably help in some way ( maybe even buy a surfboard..)

asking wouldn't hurt

sandsurfngbomber
09-11-2008, 03:19 PM
even contact your local skateshop , they usually do have a surfboard , just walk in there and tell em about what your doing , they will probably help in some way ( maybe even buy a surfboard..)

asking wouldn't hurt

shit, thats not a bad idea
i'll swing by quicksilver, vans and whatever else i can see at the mall

thanks man

benmasters
09-11-2008, 03:35 PM
http://windwardsports.com/
look what i found

sandsurfngbomber
09-11-2008, 03:41 PM
http://windwardsports.com/
look what i found