PDA

View Full Version : filmed entirely in floriduh....

skimlife
10-07-2007, 09:35 AM
so i recently purchased the foreverskim vid. and i have to say i was a little let down by the flim and the length and show of skill and waveriding in everyones part. im not saying the guys in the flim weren't good skimboarders , i know they are, but the film was a disapointment wave wise, the wave riding was minimal, and didn't really do much justice to the skill some of the riders actually have. now about the "filmed entirely in florida".....it was filmed entirely in florida, but showcasing the gulf waves which i don't really consider waves....and ever's and domke's parts being the only east coast florida waves i saw in the film was a sham. florida has better waves than that and if you embark on an all florida film i think you should try harder to maybe showcase more florida and not one specific area. the film was only filmed in 3 months and 30 minutes long....make longer deadlines. its florida...3 months??...great films take time, great waves, and some creativity so wait for the epic swells. we get them it just takes patience and a little dedication. im not here to rag on the guys cause either way its helping skimboarding. im just voicing my opinion as a skimboarder. debate away. no shit-talking. foreverskim.com is rad. peace

Derek Makekau
10-07-2007, 09:55 AM
i couldn't agree with your points more. time and budget come into play, whether you want them to or not.

getting professional quality video, filmed correctly, from as many areas as you would have to to really include all of florida would not only take a few years but also lots and lots of travel money.

filmed entirely in florida isn't supposed to read as "filmed all over florida"...it's supposed to read exactly how it sounds: we filmed only in florida.

sorry you were disappointed. it's definitely step one in what we hope to turn into a series of florida specific, professionally produced skimboarding films.

edit:
and for the record, we filmed for 3 years. at the tail end, i bought a new camera and made the heartbreaking decision to burn the old footage to keep the video looking as consistent as possible.

LiveToSkim
10-07-2007, 10:00 AM
i actually really liked it, i can imagine how hard it would be to pull off a good film of all florida. but i think that it was done pretty well

matty kerns
10-07-2007, 10:12 AM
hey dude make your own video then...

Jaleez
10-07-2007, 10:20 AM
yeah i really liked the vid, shut up skimlife.

Boyschoir
10-07-2007, 10:27 AM
I dont think people are understanding where skimlife is coming from. You should see some other parts of Floridaskim especially on the gulf coast. Im sure the video was good, but he has valid points to argue upon. For you people to come on here and tell him to shut up for voicing his opinions after he said hes not talking shit is kind of messed up. Im sure though that there are more videos to come and hopefully all of Florida will be included. Derrick has some serious talents like roller blading in San Fransico...... wait I mean editing. No seriously. And Matty have you ever seen some of the clips that Mike has on Skimlife and the video he did for RDS? Im sure he could come up with a video just from North Jetty that would blow minds. Just my 2 cents. Now you guys can rip on me for voicing my opinions. Its a message board remember its were people voice their opinions. Theres no need to rip on people every chance you get.

Derek Makekau
10-07-2007, 10:30 AM
i was stoked to be the first person to respond as i thought it might keep people from just reacting and ripping on him for expressing an opinion.

he even said in his post "im not here to rag on the guys cause either way its helping skimboarding. im just voicing my opinion as a skimboarder. debate away. no shit-talking. foreverskim.com is rad."

seems like he's making some pretty levelheaded points to me, so i think he deserves some levelheaded responses.

samcollett
10-07-2007, 10:43 AM
i get where you're coming from. i liked it a lot, but that's because that area is where i started skimboarding. personally, i just liked being able to see those spots and think to myself, "hey, i skimmed there." i feel you on the length though. thought it was a bit short. sure, there could be bigger conditions filmed in florida. there have been and will be. but, for what ABH was trying to do, i think it did it well. it gave me a sense of being home while doing that even though i didn't live there growing up. hopefully the next will be longer and possibly feature some more east coast conditions like sebastian when it's going off or something, but until then, i'm happy with this.

and a disclaimer, i'm not bashing skimlife, derek, justin, or anybody. just stating an opinion.

Erick skim
10-07-2007, 10:47 AM
yeah the video would be twice as sick if it had lots of east coast foty. theres pletty of sick rides to catch on fotage

matty kerns
10-07-2007, 11:05 AM
yeh justin i know how fl skim is...i live on the gulf,im just sayin,atleast some one made a video with fl skimers init..

jumpman23005
10-07-2007, 11:12 AM
i really liked it..... only let down was the video could be a little longer i found it somewhat short.

MY RANT

and as derek says of course theres better places and everyone could have a better session then the ones in the video but in FL if you want those mind blowing ones you will have to travel which is a pretty penny... i mean i've seen some sicker waves before at my home break last year around oct. nov. that were better then all the sessions in that video.... but ill admit it is rare. This was before morgan street and sand bags over here in pinellas but on 26th ave... bradford was killin some nice chest high liners and just cruisin down the lines forever.And how can i forget sand pebbles days before the dredgin. And days where chanel 3 blow up and made the liners from the first jetty half way down back to the causeway. Of course if you know where to look and when you can find better waves but for the video being made in only 3 months you should really be impressed i didnt know it was made that quick. For that i give foreverskim 2 thumbs up.

If anyone can make a video better then that in less then 3 months then by gods graces i will kiss your ass.

ON THE FLIP (Pinellas Guys)

I would love some one to start video taping around here. There is soooo much talent that has come from this area its re-donk-u-lous. Its not hard to spot some real good riders. Bradford, Patty Mac, Pete Anderson, Maxemow, Hoag, Ben Lucas,Boyschoir ..... ect ect I think JukeBox josh needs to get on this or anyone with some decent video skills for that matter. There are some nice spots where a decent video can be made straight gulf coast even weither it takes 6 months to 2 years there is some mindblowin waves that have came and will again.............. winter swells here we come!

matty kerns
10-07-2007, 11:38 AM
there is so much tallent just from irb to vience its sick.....not only the ones jumpman said...but jon gray,travis gero,jon schred,dave bradford,anson,joel,dc,theres so many guys it would be hard to pick the best

jumpman23005
10-07-2007, 11:42 AM
exactly if it takes it man im gonna be out for a while i have a torn MCL :( i might pick up some video editting man... pm me ill drop you my # give me buzz when you guys go out cuz everyone in DB is video worthy in my book. Ill come film

matty kerns
10-07-2007, 11:51 AM
josh has some sick vids like some sick east coast vids

302skim
10-07-2007, 05:25 PM
I saw it for the first time last week. I enjoyed it because i could relate to that style of skimboarding, going up on the east coast. Movies like bearded and stuff are really good but its nice to see some mixing it up.

SolvenCarlos
10-07-2007, 05:46 PM
yeh justin i know how fl skim is...i live on the gulf,im just sayin,atleast some one made a video with fl skimers init..
There are a lot of videos with florida skimmers in it, dream cowboy from zap, wierd science, bearded etc. Now filmed entirely in the florida like this one is a different story.

302skim
10-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Zap needs a legit video

SolvenCarlos
10-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Dream cowboy wasn't legit enough?

solvenskim
10-07-2007, 05:53 PM
i thought the video was amazing

SolvenCarlos
10-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Shut up abner!

302skim
10-07-2007, 05:54 PM
not really. I think with zaps money...they could do better

SolvenCarlos
10-07-2007, 05:57 PM
I thought anywhere but here had some sweet editing and rides, knowing that it was filmed in florida and the majority in the gulf, I wasn't expecting big waves. I liked because it was different.

302skim
10-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Agreed. what is 4am films though?

Paulo
10-07-2007, 06:12 PM
I agree with skimlife's points. I think his main concern is to portray his home state in the best light showcasing the best days and good riders instead of the small waves gulf flap that many people may think of when Florida skim is mentioned. I think that Derick could have spent more time capturing all of the career sessions. That would have made more sense to me after making the filmed entirely in Florida claim. I understand that it costs money to take the time to film all of the good days, but it is also an investment and the end result is a better depiction of skimboarding. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was put together well. Derick is a talented editor. I can just understand and respect skimlife's opinion.

Derek Makekau
10-07-2007, 06:13 PM
paulo, it's derek.

get it straight.

solvenskim
10-07-2007, 06:18 PM
carlos i was talking about dereks movie you jerk...and by the way im entered in the contest im going to win it for you...and derek i love you and it was amazing

SolvenCarlos
10-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Can you put high expectations on the gulf? Yeah it gets sick but most of the time it's knee high at best for like a couple of weeks if it's not flat. And when there is a decent ground swell or hurricane swell, no one wants to film or take pictures.

SolvenCarlos
10-07-2007, 06:20 PM
carlos i was talking about dereks movie you jerk...and by the way im entered in the contest im going to win it for you...and derek i love you and it was amazing
You better win me a new board. Hawaii is brutal.

tails
10-08-2007, 03:53 AM
finally some constructive criticism. its like anything, there are always things could be improved and i think that was a mature post that will help derek in future movies. i personally thought the editing quality was awsome and thought it was a pretty cool movie depsite it not being 6ft cabo wraps so congrats. constraints (waves, budget, time, etc) are well outweighed by overall presentation i reckon

Mapdash
10-08-2007, 07:49 AM
drek did the best he could. he is gay....give him a break.

JimmyB
10-08-2007, 10:12 AM
I thought it was really cool to see a video that didn't revolve around laguna and cabo. It seems like all the major videos are filmed pretty much entirely in those areas. Granted the waves are clearly better in those places, its nice to see some variety. I really enjoyed the movie because it was something different. I love watching people get real technical in small waves, Goose is another favorite of mine for that same reason.

Jukebox Josh
10-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Aww... Fellas from earlier posts, I blush. This inspires me to kick my self out of the house with my camera. Get ready for a video. I don't have the best means for publicity but maybe Derek wouldn't mind helping me. He seems cool as hell. He was gonna talk to Sean Ward about me making a florida section for him but I guess it fell through cause he never got back to me. I've got water housing, HD cam, a computer and a car. Hopefully the swell comes around classes for me.

MARK MY WORDS. This date next year I will have my movie done. Whether I get help or not. Zack, Ben, Boischoir?, Bradford, Bryan, Domke?, Anderson, Dion, and Monster get ready to shread you asses off.

10/08/08 Florida gets its name back.

Derek Makekau
10-08-2007, 12:06 PM
I thought I wrote you and said Sean wanted to see whatever footage you got, and you said you were stoked and would start shooting?

Oh and of course I'll help, in whatever way I can.

Tony
10-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Derrick..... did oyu read the mail yet. JW.

and second.

the only thing i was surprised about was how you decided to make seperate rider sections.... the biggest appeal to the trailer was how it looked like a peak into the life of floridian skimming.

i liked the editing a ton, but the skimming was not very good in most of the parts, so therefore showcasing each rider was a surprise to me. I understand yu did the video just to do a video, but your much more talented than this video in my opinion. i would have rather the video be half the length with combined parts and more lifestyle... either way, good job, great effort

wardovision
10-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Yeah if you're still interested I'd be extremely stoked on getting some of your footy

jumpman23005
10-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Aww... Fellas from earlier posts, I blush. This inspires me to kick my self out of the house with my camera. Get ready for a video. I don't have the best means for publicity but maybe Derek wouldn't mind helping me. He seems cool as hell. He was gonna talk to Sean Ward about me making a florida section for him but I guess it fell through cause he never got back to me. I've got water housing, HD cam, a computer and a car. Hopefully the swell comes around classes for me.

MARK MY WORDS. This date next year I will have my movie done. Whether I get help or not. Zack, Ben, Boischoir?, Bradford, Bryan, Domke?, Anderson, Dion, and Monster get ready to shread you asses off.

10/08/08 Florida gets its name back.

Josh you know your really gonna wanna be skimming it too lol

ill film your section

Jukebox Josh
10-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Wardo, how do you want me to show the footy too you? Did you want me to edit or just make a compilation of good clips?

Jumpman, Which IRB skimmer are you? It would be nice to make it at least into the fall section of the video.(if there is one.)

Derek Makekau
10-08-2007, 07:51 PM
I thought I told you in the pm that you can send either a dvd or use something like mediafire.

wardovision
10-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Josh-sending PM

302skim-Zap's next video should be crazy good.

skimmer-x
10-09-2007, 10:07 AM
I liked it since that is my old home breaks. Near and dear to my heart if you know what i mean. I thought it was well put together for the short time it was put together. But I am a little biased. FWB 4 Life!!

matty kerns
10-09-2007, 12:12 PM
josh i better get my part dude

jumpman23005
10-09-2007, 02:53 PM
the one with the huge penis ... i mean boomhower with pink bottom...

before that a concept ... and before that a orange slotstik with the tiki traction actually now i have a green sqaure but last time i saw you i had the boom. you gave me your lucky skim sock a long time ago i used to go to ctk

skimlife
10-10-2007, 07:22 AM
its cool to see the feedback good or bad that was the point. there is always gunna be immature trash talkers as i've already seen, lame. but im glad to see the conversation i've started. this is meant for constructive conversation and maybe one day will lead to the florida video that defines florida and its skimboarders. i understand the money and travel issue but i travel to sebastian almost every weekend and usually score there at least one of the spot we hit. a few travel weeks during sick swells and you can have a wave riding vid of florida that would in my eyes compare to some of the west coast waves and the videos those guys are able to put out. not that i want florida to rip the west but rite now they are the standard in skimboarding and skim films. so we gotta step up our efforts and silence the florida stereotype that we don't get waves. we do....nobody has captured them and is yet to put an epic film together. im working toward saving up for a camera and eventually filming for myself and friends. i know derek can put a good film together and hope to see better ones in the future. thanks for the feedback guys keeep it rolling. peace. get worked!

Derek Makekau
10-10-2007, 08:09 AM
i understand the desire to capture really good florida waves, which i know as much as anyone that we do get.

but honestly, on the gulf coast of florida, we spend the large majority of the year riding the types of waves that were in ABH. that's a fact...so what's a better representation? the maybe month or two annual total of sick waves we get, or the waves we have to deal with in between?

just fueling the whole conversation.

Tad M.
10-10-2007, 09:37 AM
derek, you're always telling me how FWB gets overhead, and pitting, just like cali....

Paulo
10-10-2007, 10:09 AM
but honestly, on the gulf coast of florida, we spend the large majority of the year riding the types of waves that were in ABH. that's a fact...so what's a better representation? the maybe month or two annual total of sick waves we get, or the waves we have to deal with in between?

just fueling the whole conversation.

Then should 'west coast' videos depict the average days instead of the best days of the year? I think that the viewer wants to see the best when buying a video. The day-to-day footage is usually available on Youtube.

Derek Makekau
10-10-2007, 10:13 AM
that's a good point.

Derek Makekau
10-10-2007, 10:25 AM
and i didn't necessarily mean that the video should be like that, i meant that saying it's not a good representation of florida isn't accurate...

but saying that it's not necessarily going to change minds about florida is on point.

PeteyA
10-10-2007, 03:41 PM
I dont want to be in your aLLs gay ass video. especially yours Josh, you homo.

and from what I saw , FSM's movie was sick, not the best Florida gets by any means, but a sick flick anyway. hate hate hate hate.

Tad M.
10-10-2007, 04:05 PM
shut up petey..we dont want you in our videos

Jukebox Josh
10-11-2007, 06:31 AM
He's joking Tad. He'd be first in line for my video. Pete's a cool ass fucker. He just gives bad Road Head. I know by experience.

You guys have some valid points. I thought dereks movie was sick. The only thing I was dissapointed on was on the Grinch section. but that's not his fault. I wanted to see some hard ass slashes on those beasts. I just kept seeing airs out the back.(still a pretty cool section though)

Derek, I love your style of film.

So who's gonna make "The endless summer" for skimboarding. It's gotta be done some time. I'll go on the trip N film but my cash flow isn't good enough to go on my own.

EVERYBODY GIVE ME MONEY

narwhal
10-11-2007, 06:38 AM
The whole idea is progression. Florida has to work to that video...

Did you expect the first true shot to be the most epic?

narwhal
10-11-2007, 06:39 AM
He's joking Tad. He'd be first in line for my video. Pete's a cool ass fucker.

Tad knows he is joking, young one.

Jukebox Josh
10-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Not so much liking the "young one" comment. If you weren't a fan of the goonies...

narwhal
10-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Us goonies stick together.

Tad M.
10-11-2007, 07:16 PM
haha josh, pete's gay and he can't skim worth poop.

and by poop I mean pete's one of my good friends and taught me a LOT of what I know about skimming, since I use to skim with him and splendore and learned from them.

so I can say pete skim's like poop, and smells like it, too. <3 petey

ZapBulletRider
10-11-2007, 09:24 PM
drek did the best he could. he is gay....give him a break.

No wonder there were so many shots of dudes from the back.

TEEZERZ
10-12-2007, 02:33 PM
yeah bra!! keep it current.. we dont want to see unseen clips from four years ago...duh... if ive never seen it and its not current than why or how could i see it for free??? old footie is the best.. curent footie sucks.. burn the current stuff ..go back to the old days .

skimming just doesnt look the same on video as it does in film or still photos.

shoot a skate video in florida and maybe it will respond better with the skim community.