SKIM SPOT DETAILS
- WAVE TYPE: Powerful right to left liners and wraps.
- SWELL DIRECTION: NW, W, SW, S
- SWELL SIZE: 1′ – 8’+
- BEST TIDES: Can be good on any tide. Depends on the sand.
- SLOPE: Usually steep, but can occasionally be flat.
- BEST SEASON: Breaks year round. Fall and Spring are usually best. Breaks well in the summer and even winter at times.
- ACCESS/PARKING: Free street parking.
- BLACKBALL: No
COMMENTS: This is a spot that many of the local skimmers know to the right of WEDGE, near P tower. This spot is never crowded except for skimmers and an occasional body surfer. this spot has excellent shore break and is easy to get to. At Cylinders you get all the good surf of wedge without having to deal with that stupid black ball flag crap. When the surf is larger (especially during the summer months) sidewash is common at this spot. It is best tide is high tide.
Take 55 South to Newport. Merge onto E Balboa blvd. (long street with many shops etc….) 3 follow E Balboa past Newport pier, then Balboa pier…. merge onto E oceanfront. *you may notice that once you are on E oceanfront the street names change from #s (eg:15th, 32nd, 12th…..) to letter names (eg: I, L, G,…..) Follow oceanfront to somewhere in between M St. and Channel rd. and park. Now go to the sand find P tower.
View Larger Map